How'd it go today?

HAH! I'm just the opposite. I found double braid simple, if time consuming. I've only successfully spliced 16 strand once, every other time I end up getting stuck halfway through the bury. I've cut off at least a dozen botched attempts before quitting. I lose 4' of rope every time I try.

Yeah, getting it all through is a bit tough. They showed us a few tricks though that aren't listed in the instructions that made it a whole lot easier!!

As far as double braid, I'd like to give Blue Moon or Tachyon a try. If it was your first time splicing then they gave you this odd rope that has the same color core and the cover, so it was a bitch to tell them apart, making it all harder to do because you couldn't really tell what was what.

Did a few estimates today and of course we have an ugly :D
We also have a bull pine that should have (under my recommendation 2 years ago) been removed already. Now that it has guy wires to the customer's antenna etc.. Also a NEW fence under it. Also a pump house with in reach... Need I go on?
Here's some pics.... First the ugly.....

Attachments

• P1010244.JPG
    P1010244.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 8
  • P1010245.JPG
    P1010245.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 9
  • P1010246.JPG
    P1010246.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 8
Yeah he sells internet to ships via HAM....
On the oak I will be able to have a high line in a tree next to it. So NP.... Only one major limb over the house.
The Bull pine I am going to have to rig all three leaders together and lower some till I can bomb it. Even the tower is in reach of falling the tree. Also surrounded by trees he wants to save... I have about a 20 X 30 LZ

Steve, I'd still fishplate the joints. Don't be afraid to grind down to bare metal throughout the future HAZ, before welding.

Did the same person make all the welds?

Heat affected zone. While rod can burn through the most "crap" of normal welding processes, there's no point in requiring it to do so. Paint, for example, can give off nasty fumes. Rust isn't conducive to the best welds. So if I'm welding 1/4" material, I'll probably clean an .75" or better, (at least .5") or so either side of the seam where the metal will be the hottest.

Also leads to prettier welds. Was the weld that connects the new tongue to the old frame done vertical up or down?

Up is generally the direction you want to stick (;)) with. Higher penetration and cleaner welds. Vertical down is useful for thinner materials, but that's about it. It's hard to hold the puddle back against gravity.

Took down 2 perfectly fine Crimson King Norway Maples. Here's the only shoddy pic I took, you can see the stalk on the left, there was one on the right. Grind the stumps and cleaned the rakings, I don't know why I agreed to clean the rakings, but it got me the job.

Attachments

• 3-16-09 001.jpg
    3-16-09 001.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 4
Nice job Brendon.

It has been raining for 3 days now. I ground 22 stumps this morning, in 2 hours and 10 minutes. Nice coin for a morning that I normally would sleep in on.

I climbed and removed a big laurel oak today. It was in an apartment complex courtyard tucked in the corner with 2/3 of the brush overhanging the roofs. It also had about eleventy thousand limbs anywhere from 6"-12" diameter. No way to effectively crane it out so I climbed it and roped it all out. More roping than I've done in 4 years but it went very smooth. I cleared out the open quadrant and left a high rigging point on each side. Roped everything over one roof then everything over the other roof then threw the top. almost 3 tanks of gas in the 200T plus a half a tank in the 346xp to brush it out down to a 35' stalk.

I finally put the new tracks on my mini today. Then went and bought four new tires for the dump trailer.

The crew did an easy removal this morning; a dead 18" oak leaning over a screen pool cage, but there was a nice big live oak right above it for rigging and tying in. ;)

I finally finished all my wiring on my ghetto 1ton. Nice and legal now, no pics of that truck until it hits the paint booth.:D

The amount of snow that we have and are still getting is ridiculous. Warm enough I'm not getting any real plowing out of it but it sure puts a wet damper on doing much.

I called up the dealership that had that truck and someone put a Down payment on it on saturday and bought it this morning... Now i have to find a new truck:X

It's been raining since Thursday, the sun finally came out about 20 minutes ago. Gotta play catch up the rest of the week.

Went to school, came home and walked the dog. After that I lock stitched my new FS and lanyard, and right now I'm working on my Zing It splicing. I just finished splicing and stitching one end of my new 2.2mm and it turned out nicely. I think I needed to bury it a little more though. But I can fix that on my other end.

Back