How'd it go today?

Bees and wasps winter in dead trees just under the bark. I usually find them in the winter but they are too cold to do anything about me.

Today I did one bid, hiked with the kid and then lazed around the household. Tomorrow a friend from another tree service is going to help me do a cobra cabling job. He's been using it for a while and is going to show me how.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! Tree hated me today!!!
Had to make a firewood run and my "partner" can't seem to do ANYTHING, and I had no help. Found a tree close, easy to get to and was a full load in itself. Tree fell fine easy carry.
Cut into a hollow, FULL of wasps! I must have killed two to three hundred of the suckers! Then another forty or so when I got home.
Got past that and went on down the butt. Got another three feet or so and it looked like the oil cap had come off the saw! Sticky gooey stuff all over! Puled the saw out and looked, nope cap still on, hmmmmm?
Must have been two gallons of honey run out of that tree!!

I found another tree not so close and finished off the load!

Andy you are selling green oak for firewood this year, kind of hard to burn this winter.
The wasps were just getting out of the cold looking for a place to live a few more days, happens every fall out here. They get into the old farmhouses the same way, along with the ladybugs that are looking to hibernate for the winter.

Andy you are selling green oak for firewood this year, kind of hard to burn this winter.
The wasps were just getting out of the cold looking for a place to live a few more days, happens every fall out here. They get into the old farmhouses the same way, along with the ladybugs that are looking to hibernate for the winter.

Had another fire go through last winter, even more standing dead. Split everything up with a double bit axe, 17" rounds. It's REALLY dry!
I had no real problem with the wasps, just didn't want them to get warmed up and pissed off about loosing their home!!
But after that, I wasn't about to deal with a bunch of pised off bee's after that!!!

Good to read you agian BTW!:)

I figured it was somthing like that. Ya it's been crazy for a while now. Still no net out at the farm so my internet time is limited. :(

I figured it was somthing like that. Ya it's been crazy for a while now. Still no net out at the farm so my internet time is limited. :(

Sorry, you need to look back into that cell phone repeater we were talking about last time!

I know all about the crazy!! I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be better to go back to work:roll:

I had no idea it was sublet, if I would have known I would have raised the rent!

Well with no burn days on the horizon (due to fires down south, lack of rain, bad air quality somewhere and high temps) I have had to reschedule some work.. Looks like 2 - 3 days of live oak TDs on a property with three houses. Yup, two of three have some bad ones over them. Sooooo looks like I gonna be gaffing half the week. Have to run to town and buy some biners and shackles to add to the ever growing collection.

Cut down the old clothesline posts, 2" 1/4" wall, burnt up three sawzall blades, tough old bugers:X

Wife decided she wanted the backdoor to work now that Bubba is old enough to go alone. It hasn't worked since they redid the floors and put in a new subfloor. I had to remove it and raise it 1/2". Sounds easy, it wasn't:lol:
Yeah, today was "Honey-do" day:cry:

Well, I put up some pics of how today went. :roll:

But on a brighter note :D I found a funny picture that I scanned and thought I'd put up. ...I bet ya can't guess who it is...

Attachments

• ME and my truck.jpg
    ME and my truck.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 4
Nope... Not John.

I won't play the guessing game with ya'll. All I'm saying is that was when they made real toy chainsaws. ...you know... the kind that didn't make annoying sounds, and to make the chain spin you had to pull the trigger, which spun the chain. I still remember walking around in the woods and cutting all the little dead branches off the trees in the pine stand with a dull toy handsaw.

...god that's cheesy!!!....:sign3:

Honey-Do days are what gives us Honey-Will days. ;)

Wagnaw, I asked you not to post that.

J/K... I have no idea.

nice laundry basket ride Andrew.......soon your hair will turn gray. Thats' one from the archives

I'm done. Took down the rest of a small failed Ash tree. Days like this I wish I had a dump trailer as I made less than a yard of chip, but still had to bring the mini cause of the drag.

O well, made good coin being solo anyways. Now I think I'm gonna go wash/freeze the yota.

Old day late and dollar short Al got on the roof yesterday to clean and inspect the flue .Darned thing has a build up of creosote ,chit . It should most likely have a stainless liner ,not cheap .

I have to put my thinking cap on and devise some method of scrapping the thing down .A wire brush doesn't do it ---or bite the bullit and buy the liner .Dang ,all I see is dollar bills with wings on them .:(

I have been there before Al. It's the hard shiny stuff, right? My neighbor told me the chimney sweep gave her a bottle of solution to spray on it. I have no idea what it is.

I put a liner in for a friend and it was pretty good dollars. You are supposed to pour insulation around it too. I didn't do it. It seemed to work very well.

Is your chimney outside the house? If it is and you have an outdoor cleanout you could probably figure out a safe way to burn it out. Take the stovepipe out and make a good plug for that and possibly a way of throttling the top opening down. My cousin used to pack newspapers in his chimney and fire it off every couple of weeks so there wasn't much build up.

What really gets chimney fires roaring is they are able to suck air through the wood stove and the stovepipe to the chimney. If that is totally restricted it slows right down.

You probably know as much about it as I do. 35 years of experience should teach us something.

I tried to make a scraper to chip it off. I welded a sharpened 2 inch piece of flat stock to a rod with an offset. It was an excercise in futility.

Don't they have chimney sweepers in Ohio Al?
They do indeed but most of them aren't playing with a full deck nor have both oars in the water .

I trotted on down to the stove store about an hour or so .Good heavens they want nearly 800 bucks for a liner :O.I think if I choose to go that route I can do it for perhaps less than half using ridgid stainless . I'll have to do some measuring ,figuring ,pricing ,negotiation type stuff .I'm pretty good with the later .;)

As far as installing one ,not a big deal ,I did one of the rentals a couple years back and it wasn't something that takes a masters degree to do for sure .

Back