How'd it go today?

Hey Andy, don't feel bad about the suit. After your wife's shindig you can still get some use out of it by using it as a weather cover for the tractor. :P

It's a freaking suit, not a small car dammit!!!:O:O:O

Watched part of Juno last night Paul, less than the first half, not my cup of tea FYI.

I own one suit, it fits me just right and I tell ya, I feel pretty dapper when I wear it. A few times a year, its been to 3 funerals, 1 wedding, 2 valentines parties and 2 christmas parties.

RE Juno, actually I have seen the most of it, its interesting but very dry. Certainly no action film. I wanna watch Ironman tonight, if I get a vote. :)
Currently downloading pirates 1 and 2, grabbed Made of honor earlier today on wifey's request.

That can be arranged!

Pretty easy day... 10 tree conifer removal.

Run up in the bucket, put the top 1/2 on the ground, then the other 1/2 from the ground.

The Bandit 1700 sure makes for quick riddance to the material!

One tree and some raking left to do.

Not bad for a take-it-easy, less-than-full day's work.

BP Blaster helped finally get the dull knife off my chipper. So, two new blades on there for the first time since I've had it. I just need to flip and adjust the anvil now, and I'll be in business! I swear I've had to use a breaker bar on just about every bolt of this machine. Fortunately, I think the only bolts I haven't got loose yet are the ones on this anvil. I tried today, but couldn't get em' loose. I'll try again tomorrow, but the new starter is going in on Thursday. I may be able to borrow a nice strong hammer air wrench and get em off then.

...Just in time for a nice big job on friday. ...removing about half an acre of tree of heaven. The guy only called about one dead 46" Tree of Heaven. :\: At least I can feel good about killing all these crap trees. Ailanthus trees suck.

andrew i had to put anti sieze on my knife and anvil bolts. I invested in a 1 inch impact for the chipper knives, cheap on ebay. I will be up that way over the weekend if you want me to bring the air gun, I will throw it on the truck

You commin up here? That's cool, and thanks for the offer. I'll definitely have it done by Friday though. The guys who are putting my starter in for me said I could use their shop wrench while they were putting on the starter. They have a big powerful one too since they do mostly big rig work.

Mixed bag today, as are most. Started out by finishing, finally, the stairway from he!!. I used to like metalwork, but this project sucked. Then I started clearing the ash off of one of the building lots. Dumped about a dozen 16"-24" trees into one opening and bucked them to 12'3" It's all firewood, so I accounted for the kerf on the processor, don't want any small chunks leftover ya know.;) :lol: Then I moved the dimension lumber into one of the building projects. Going to start framing that soon.

Never a dull moment around work.:roll: It was good to get into the woods for a while, more my speed than house renovating. New protocol for "non-Stihl" chain: sharpen it right out of the box! I don't know why, but that stuff just doesn't want to cut, especially ash, unless it's had a couple of strokes with the file.:?

BP Blaster helped finally get the dull knife off my chipper. So, two new blades on there for the first time since I've had it. I just need to flip and adjust the anvil now, and I'll be in business! I swear I've had to use a breaker bar on just about every bolt of this machine. Fortunately, I think the only bolts I haven't got loose yet are the ones on this anvil. I tried today, but couldn't get em' loose. I'll try again tomorrow, but the new starter is going in on Thursday. I may be able to borrow a nice strong hammer air wrench and get em off then.

...Just in time for a nice big job on friday. ...removing about half an acre of tree of heaven. The guy only called about one dead 46" Tree of Heaven. :\: At least I can feel good about killing all these crap trees. Ailanthus trees suck.

Geesh, at least someones keeping busy! Advertising or WOM.?:|:

Burn day today and good day for it.. Had a bunch of downed live oak from 2 winters ago to take apart and out damaged from a fire 12 or 15 years ago I forget. Love to burn as we go ... Very little draggin... Took down a dead bull pine snag and fell here with a bit of a tug and proper cutting to about 45 degrees out of the lean.
Finished that job early and had two VERY LARGE burn piles to be rid of a a clients place. Stopped by and burned them.. One was pretty old and they were too big to burn in place, so we tore apart what we had to and then torched the rest of the suckas. Had to back light a couple due to winds... All went well and they were gone in 2 hours. Whew..
150 foot hank of new rope FINALLY came today so we have a branch removal to do and go from there... :)

wagnaw, do you know what the proper torque is for your machine? very improtant you get it right, your torque wrench for tightening should be plenty for breaking them loose

Whoever put things back together last time was an idiot. The chipper runs fine, but I'm still in the fixer up phase, which means LOTS of breaking loose things that whoever had this before tightened the HELL out of them. Getting better everyday though. I need to just break down and buy a good air compressor and a impact wrench.
The guide says the bolts should be torqued down to 85 ftlbs, which doesn't feel like much. That's what it says though. I've been putting them down with 90 ftlbs just in case.

Brendon... I'm doing alright for not being in the ANY phone book yet. It'll be nice when people can look up my name after I blow by them on the road.:|:

It's all been word of mouth, and biz card/ fliers in coffee shops, etc... mostly word of mouth. I've been staying busy about 3 days a week on average.

...maybe 2 on "average". Though, the last two weeks have been four and five day weeks. I feel like that luck is about to run thin though...

WOM here also.. we stopped our ad this year as it was not paying off. I won't advertise unless I see a return on it.. The ad can only cost 10 percent of the return per month. I don't do the phone book either.. But I am a rural area where WOM is where its at, that and bulltin boards. Not to mention referrals from the hardware stores etc.

Wagnaw- keep in mind that bolts hold tension by stretching. If those bolts have been overtorqued then it may be wise to replace them (or at least the worst ones) because they can lose their elasticity. Bolts aren't good forever, it's recommended to replace the knife retaining bolts on a regular basis anyway (check your manual). Just something to keep in mind in the future. If you have doubts about the bolt holding, then it probably needs to be thrown away and replaced. ;)

huh... ...good to know. I'm definitely gonna keep any eye on them, and see if they loosen up at all.

Skwerl, ditto!

I get a lot of WOM, and I have brochures, etc... but I really like the local paper classifieds. These three things combined are still alot less than the YP, and not so high a percentage of tire kickers, either.

One of the reasons I stopped advertising the the yellows.

Yeah ... Phone book = tire kickers ... but so does the paper here... When the paper actually yielded jobs I might get 1 in three from the calls.. They would get estimates from everyone.. and the funny thing was, it was often the wife trying to motivate the husband on his hunny do list... LMAO
Threatening ... well I can hire these guys at X $$$$ or you can do it.. He usually would do it at that point..
So flyers,,, WOM, cards etc get the best return. Also the Tees and the signs on the trucks.. Being visible is huge!

Wagnaw. FWIW, After I got the seized bolts out of my chipper I found antisieze and 80ftlbs works just marvelously. I change bolts every few knife changes.

Back