How'd it go today?

Finally got around to doing another job in the neighborhood. Last weeks, we got the remains of Ike, with winds gusts up to 60mph. A good size hanger in a 40ft Sweet Gum, over a Dog Wood. Handsawed most of it(Which sucked!!) But on the stob, I got to use the chain saw for 1 cut, then the stupid sucker cut off!!! Had to finish with the handsaw.

A relatively busy day for a Sunday. This morning I went to Wally World to stock up on bar oil for the rest of the year (10 gallons). Then I used my buckjet truck to help my buddy swap motors on an old boat he recently bought. For compensation he took me to lunch (I'll almost always work for food). This afternoon I did a little housework except for the time I was napping. Vaccuuming, dishes and 2 loads of laundry.

I've been feeding the skwerls by my back door lately and have one female that will stay at the food even when I walk by or stop at the sliding glass door. I'd be stoked if I could eventually get her to eat out of my hand. :)

Well day started out as a Sunday... LOL Took teenager to work, then dropped Rob off at a side job I gave him. Came home wiht the van for Katy and proceeded to get ready to change out the motor mounts on the Dodge. Got all organized and got right into it with the 2 and 5 year old supervising... Made sure the 5 year old understood 911 before I proceeded in case engine got me by the hand or sumtin. Only took a couple hours, and most of that was sorting out my tools the kids got into.. LOL
Took test ride to the dump and got rid of recycling. Re organized the recycling here at the house. Made the kids lunch and started a baked chicken dinner just now. Guess I will have time to get the tranny seal in the Ford next.. Kids just happy daddy home ;)

Just finished 5 miles on the treadmill, chowing down on a Subway tuna sub.

I've always wanted a buckjet truck. They haul ass!!! :lol:

Got out on the water today, caught some yellow tail snappers, and 2 grunts worth keeping. Took a dip at the sandbar, then stopped for some boiled shrimp and rice at a local place on the water. Enjoying it while we can and having a good time.

Back at it in the AM.

I went to Wally world also to get some bar oil and found out why I couldn't find it the last time was because they moved it from the oil section to the Garden section. I just got 2 gallons and they had the Poulan oil for $5.17/gal. I got 5 gallons of motor oil and a 5 gallons of ATF for the boom.

a bid at 0900, a consult at 10 then off to the big arboretum for Treefest 2008, I led a walk at 1 till about 215 then went for a walk with the curator of the UBC botanical garden to look at some trees he thought were misidentified.
now home, fed with supper and chilling a bit.

oh, wife just called out to get the bath ready for Bub. Back in a bit y'all!

:D

Attachments

• SA704158 (Large).JPG
    SA704158 (Large).JPG
    170 KB · Views: 17
Oh what a mess .I had my garage a shambles because of the fact my geothermal unit went on the blink in late April . Since I finally got the new one installed last week I spent most of the day straightening up the mess .Looks good. How long it stays that way is anybodies guess.

Oh what a mess .I had my garage a shambles because of the fact my geothermal unit went on the blink in late April . Since I finally got the new one installed last week I spent most of the day straightening up the mess .Looks good. How long it stays that way is anybodies guess.

Do you have hot water underground Al?

Do you have hot water underground Al?
No,it's a missconception .The term "geothermal " is used to discribe
water source heat pumps .Mine runs off of a well .

As of this time it is the most efficiant way to heat and cool unless you have a natural gas well in the back yard .Never fear though,old Al still burns the wood come winter time .

We have plentiful underground water here but I think it is 60 degrees or so. The neighbor across the street uses water to exhaust the heat from his A/C system.

Mine is comming out of the ground at 53.9 degrees .Not a big deal for cooling but for heating the flow must be increased slightly . Never the less but it doesn't care if it is 20 above or 10 below it still works fine .An air to air heat pump doesn't work real well once the ambiant temp hits the upper 30's .

Refrigeration ,weather the cool side or the hot side is nothing more than a heat exchange . I can and will explain it if somebody is interested but just take that statement as fact because it is .

We are on geothermal also, but we have a closed loop, ground radiating system.

Steve, think of it as an unlimted pool of 60*. In the summer when it's over the temp you want it in the house the pumps transfer the heat in the house and stick it in the 60* water, thus cooling your house.

In the winter, when it's below what you want in the house, the pumps transfer "heat" from the 60* water, and use an electrical/fueled system to go from 60* to whatever you want.

In Al's case, he uses burning wood. If he gets it too hot, the pumps start pumping the heat back into the ground.

Clear it up a bit?

Well yes but mine is not a closed loop but coming from a 250 foot well with cold water . I don't dump it back in to another well .

Those two well systems work well as does the closed loop system it's just that's not what I have. No matter it works just dandy .

If you don't dump it back in the/a, how is it not a closed loop?

Think I just misunderstood you though.

You have an open loop system, right? Sucks up water, uses it, then sends it back down the well, probably to a different depth than it sucks it in eh?

I'm sitting on an almost unlimited supply of water .The well most likely gets its' water source from lake Erie and has for eons of time .

The water just comes out of the well for the geo at about 5 and a half gal per minute and dumps back in to the sewer drain which ultimately goes back to lake Erie . --But yes ,it's an open system .

Ah, well that's certainly returning it to the well at a different depth eh?

We've never ran our aquafer dry, but I wouldn't go so far as to pump 288k gallons down the drain per year assuming a 10% duty cycle.

Closed loop systems are illegal here. The few people I know with water to air heat pumps all have major headaches from trying to get rid of the water. It ruins landscapes, kills trees and pisses off the downhill next door neighbor.

Back