How'd it go today?

I might add concerning water to air heat transfer that where I work has a giant system . The water is a closed loop,two 30" lines cooling at this time about 750,000 square feet of manufacturing space . The transfer is via several large heat exchangers which are connected to several old limestone quarries with 100 feet of spring fed water in them . The water temp at 80 feet believe it or not is 44 degrees .

If the economy rebounds and more space is needed of the entire 2.3 million square feet this system will handle it .

My buddies that use water to coolant exchange to cool the cold storage at a melon and bell pepper packing shed, let the water run down a drain line to the San Joaquin river. The water underground here I've been told is exactly the average temperature that the air is above ground.

Closed loop systems are illegal here. The few people I know with water to air heat pumps all have major headaches from trying to get rid of the water. It ruins landscapes, kills trees and pisses off the downhill next door neighbor.

Why would closed loop be bad for the neighbors? It's just the same water that circulates over and over like the cooling system in your truck.

Going on 16 years with ours, not so much as dead grass to show for it. We did have to add some water when we changed the pumps, due to spillage when we opened the system. The water fell in the AC room's floor and went down the drain, making the grass where we went deer hunting all the greener.

You misread, Carl. We cannot pump the water back into the ground here, so they have to get rid of the water above ground. Sprinklers running 20-30 times per day, every day, runoff draining across the neighbor's yard or driveway 365 days per year, saturated ground creating rot and mold problems...

Wouldn't that mean open loop systems are illegal?

Ours is a closed loop. Aside from the spillage when we service it, and the extra water we dump while purging it, it's the same water that was put in it when the house was built.

An open loop would pull it out of the well, and dump it like Al or you're talking about, or, pump it back into the well.

A closed loop system uses a closed loop of tubing to circulate the system's water in the ground water, lake, or in our case, dirt, without contamination between the two. It just recirculates the water over and over.

The analogy I can think of is comparing an open system to the cooling system of a boat, where the water goes afterwards doesn't matter, the idea is it doesn't recirculate. In a truck, the same fluid is circulated from the radiator to the engine and back again, thus using the same fluid over and over.

Either way, it's not like this will cure cancer or anything. Just trying to understand,and I could understand the open system's being banned. Only working on 3.5 hours of sleep though so there's a bit of fog surrounding my "underingstandingism."

Ahhh, nobody uses closed systems here and pumping used water back into the ground is illegal due to concerns over contaminating the aquafer (I disagree, but I'm not a lawmaker).

Ah, gotcha.

Closed systems can use anything for a source. Air (normal unit you see sitting outside a house), water (either a well or a lake, I think 6' is the minimum), or like us, dirt.

We have 3k feet of pipe from the header. Going out 1500' is at 3' and the return is at 6'. Think of it like a big assed radiator.

That grid can be adapted for lakes or wells. Of course they'd need far less surface area.

I wouldn't want an open system in our aquafer. In that system they pump the water out, run it through their nasty heat exchanger, and then pump it back in the ground without the natural filtration of the couple hundred feet of dirt/sand/rock to get back in the aquafer.

Normally they don't use open systems in lakes because the suspended sediment/life in the water will plug up the heat exchanger.

A little clarification is in order .

Usually a closed loop,water to ground ,water to water whatever, pumps continuously through the system .You can run an open loop like that .In fact some do when using lake ,pond or river water .Few do so on a well .

On mine it only flows water if the system is running .You can do so several ways .One uses a modulating water valve that works off of pressure drop or rise of the freon in the system .

I use a solinoid valve which opens when the compresser goes on and remains on for 90 seconds after the system shuts down . The water is also regulated by a throttling valve set for temp .rise or fall of the water . I find this much better than the modulating valve set up .

This afternoon I took my big truck to the welder/ trailer/ hitch shop. Last week the lower step on the bed finally broke loose (red circle). It was bent when I bought the truck, I bent it back into place but the weld cracked. It held up until this past weekend.

I also had them replace the trailer plug since it was a weird style only used by some commercial/ military applications. I had them put on a standard large round plug and I got an adapter so I can also use the small round plug or four way flat plug.

Third item was getting a piece of sheet steel to reinforce the top of the toolbox (red arrow) so I can mount a bench vise up there. It's the best place I can figure for sharpening saws on the job. I miss the receiver hitch mounted vise that I gave to Justin with the old truck.

Had a fun day. Wind almost ruined it, but with pulling down a bit of fence I was still able to let some lombardys fly.

Anyone spot the treehouse crane?:/:

Attachments

• IMG_7116.JPG
    IMG_7116.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 46
You're not gonna try to pin the orange jacket on her too, are ya? :lol:

I was born in Holland amigo, wearing orange is my birthright! :P

holland1_600.jpg

Paul, is that you, second from the left?!
I adopted a puppy from the SPCA today! A 2 1/2 month old (we share a birthday, July 3) mutt. Golden Retriever- Black Lab- Terrier. No idea what kind of Terrier. She's getting spayed tomorrow, and we pick her up Wed. after 10. I'm on 3:30pm - 11:30pm shift this week, and I leave for work before Drew gets home from school, so I'm gonna pick him up from school early and surprise him with a puppy.

Paul, is that you, second from the left?!
I adopted a puppy from the SPCA today! A 2 1/2 month old (we share a birthday, July 3) mutt. Golden Retriever- Black Lab- Terrier. No idea what kind of Terrier. She's getting spayed tomorrow, and we pick her up Wed. after 10. I'm on 3:30pm - 11:30pm shift this week, and I leave for work before Drew gets home from school, so I'm gonna pick him up from school early and surprise him with a puppy.

That is great! Can't wait to see the pictures! :)

Jonny, Not me in the pic, nope.

Stehansen. Roger that.

OTG, I know ya know, ya know? :D

MB. I am picking up what you are laying down.

I'm just back from the dentist. Getting yet another broken tooth crowned. They ground it all down today and took the impressions, then put a temp crown on it until the permanent one is ready in a week or two.

For you younger guys who still have good teeth, do yourself a favor and buy yourself an Oral B Triumph electric toothbrush. They are pricey but nowhere near as pricey as buying new teeth. I got one last year and the turnaround in my oral health is nothing short of amazing. On my cleaning last week it only took about 20 minutes and the hygeinist was amazed at how clean my teeth were. I've had teeth problems most of my adult life but this electric toothbrush is about 20-30 times better than a manual brush.

My crown is $880, another filling (chipped tooth) is $170 and my cleaning/ checkup last week was $100. He's not cheap but he's one of the best dentists in town and I've known him for almost 20 years.

Back