How'd it go today?

I was just talking with the wife-o, trying to figure out how to make a super duper secret FaceBook profile.

She suggested I use my screen name I have on here. Who would ever think to search for FFZero or something like that?

For all the faceiespacey bashing I have done over the years, they would never let me live it down if they caught me on there!

One it clients has been having carvings done all over thier property with some of the many trees we took down for them. They also had Rob mill a bunch. Rob and the HO set up some 36" dia x 8' logs on end in a shady spot on the property for the carver to work on. this is the most elaborate one yet. Two eagles fighting mid flight. He is almost done.

Attachments

• tmp_7949-20160820_131849-1991681271.jpg
    tmp_7949-20160820_131849-1991681271.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 51
  • tmp_7949-20160820_131901-1392396218.jpg
    tmp_7949-20160820_131901-1392396218.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 48
  • tmp_7949-20160820_131913-868623993.jpg
    tmp_7949-20160820_131913-868623993.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 49
Nice that somebody has the money to have that done.
I like it but having the wings not lined up exactly above each other would have looked more natural IMO.

( Sorry, I have been commenting turned items on the Danish woodturners forum since it started, sometimes it is hard not to see the faults)

I slipped off a slippery beech log today and landed on a stub.
Bruised the hell out of my thigh.

Went home and put new caulks in, and got to thinking:
Am I the only caulk boot user here who is so dumb that I need to get hurt before I get around to replacing my caulks?

Just happy the wood is being re-purposed so wonderfully. Figure those folks have had something like 56' of 3' dia log carved and god only knows how much board foot of lumber milled.
He had a time trying to get the details into the claws. He is designing and having built some new carving tools that should be quite interesting to see. Then he wants to market them. I can't wait to check them out. Should be out of fabrication soon.

Been a hellish run of late here with repairs and break downs. You all know I sent the injector pump out Friday for rebuild. I got back up here in the hills and went back to the job site to find the Dingo with two blown hydraulic hoses. I also got a phone call that the wood splitter (rented out to a landscaper friend) broke at the splitting wedge on the end of the ram.
So Saturday, I drive an hour out to the hydraulic shop in the valley to get hoses made figuring I could at least get the DIngo going over the weekend. Place closes at noon on Saturdays, so I went early and got back about noon. Go to put the hoses in and one connector is wrong. Wrong diameter. Well screw. Not open Sunday. So I guess my Monday is shot. So is Rob's weekend. He had milling lined up and needed the Dingo and I needed it to start wood transport and brush yarding off a felling job. SO I set two of my guys up on a prune they can just stagge the material on, and head down to the valley again this morning. I get down there. Explain what happened. Hey, no problem, get you fixed up in a jiffy. So I get the new hose, compare the one end to my other that was wrong before and all looked great. WELLLLLLL it wasn't I should have checked both ends. Instead of a female on one end and a male on the other, I now have two male ends and one is the one that was the wrong size in the first place. Of course I found this out when I got back to my shop :|:
SO I turn around and went back again. Next guy tries to get it right and nails it (with my close supervision :/: )
Finally get back to the shop at 3 PM. Put the damn machine back together. Won't fuggen start. Some body left the key on. Grrrrrrrrr. Jump start... NADA. Check murphy's etc... nada. Finally jiggle a solenoid and she kicks. This after about a hour of fuggen around with electrical crap, fuses and the like.
Well, at least the mini is back up and we can get back on our scheduled program tomorrow.
The last guy that helped me at the parts shop commented that my disposition was pretty good all things considered. I just smiled and told him we had to hurry because I was past the limits of what my medication would work on.
Good thing I vented before I did the last round robin :evil:

Ouch! My own rule is I always bring fittings to test fit them before leaving any hydraulic shop. Learned pretty much the way it happened to you. I look like a fool test threading hoses and fittings, but hell, with ORB, 42 or 37deg JIC or SAE, I friggin don't know, damn hose fits between here to here!!

Small trip with GF today to Niagra falls zoo, not a bad day, missed a few jobs though.....

Ouch! My own rule is I always bring fittings to test fit them before leaving any hydraulic shop. Learned pretty much the way it happened to you. I look like a fool test threading hoses and fittings, but hell, with ORB, 42 or 37deg JIC or SAE, I friggin don't know, damn hose fits between here to here!!

Sounds like a good policy to me.

Back