How'd it go today?

So, anniversary weekend was number 28, e ery year is a bonus since 2007, when the Mr had his first heart attack!
Trauma first responder course was excellent, I've come away with a lot more confidence lots of things de-mysified too.

Back to trees this week, got to get a good climb in the new Sequoia SRT I got from Bob.
The Bashlins I got from Merle are like old friends, put new set of gaffs on them, lovely...gonna sell the climb rights.
Outfitted by the 'House'!

I noticed that rain and cold make for dehydration weather. That never helps anything. I started getting sick in part because I was getting dried out during all that storm stuff.

This.
The water is cold, the weather is cold, you are cold, and you don't want to drink it.
I work about 48 hours in the winter, but, I find it's quite manageable, and we're not absolutely COMPELLED to, so in that sense (if in that sense only :lol:) I find, "big Green," quite tollerable.

40" Piss Fir on the house today... Olny got it half done, cause it's way up in Everett. Got to do the rest tomorrow...

unnamed-379.jpg unnamed-380.jpg unnamed-381.jpg unnamed-382.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed-383.jpg
    unnamed-383.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 56
  • unnamed-384.jpg
    unnamed-384.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 55
Dang Jed, you always get the fun stuff. All I did today was play on the firewood processor and rescue one of the bosses wiz kids, they never rope anything out its always the cut and handle so they get all nervous when they need to do it right

good day...breakfast w/friends in town, laundry done, some tool organization, trip to grocery & hardware stores, installed a few new LED lights around the house, chipped 1/2 truckfull of brush that was laying around here, couple good hour + practice sessions on the fiddle, time to read a bit and sack out...

Dang Jed, you always get the fun stuff. All I did today was play on the firewood processor and rescue one of the bosses wiz kids, they never rope anything out its always the cut and handle so they get all nervous when they need to do it right

He can always hire a new wrist/ elbow/ shoulder rather than get guys that can use a rope. :|:

Got my single most expensive tree to come in today. He's going to add on some other stuff, too, at the time of the job.

All disposal onsite.

6' cottonwood with ivy on the base. APTA and Wraptor to take the ivy out of the equation. NFW am I going to spike up a 6' diameter tree.

Access across the lawn and along this retaining wall (to be cut out) with the Ogre (mini) dragging the chipper, will have to plywood in and out once, likely.

Neighbor's shed is the real issue under the canopy. Neighbor's house would be flattened by this thing.

Decay in the side of the trunk facing the shed, which is on a concrete foundation (root damage from excavation???) with asphalt road only wide enough for a truck. No room for outriggers. I'd have to build up dunnage for a tow-behind lift, and its max of 50'. I wouldn't really like to have a heavy self-propelled lift on this asphalt, probably on fill, on a sloping site (right next to the Sound). Dead central leader.

Attachments

• IMG_20151114_135718552_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20151114_135718552_HDR[1].jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20151114_135737161[1].jpg
    IMG_20151114_135737161[1].jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20151114_135854533[1].jpg
    IMG_20151114_135854533[1].jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20151114_135843732_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20151114_135843732_HDR[1].jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 49
Dang, Sean... that's a pig. I don't like those weird healed-up wounds. What the heck are those from?

Try to get an estimate of the heighth of that pig when you're up there.

120-140' I'd estimate from the ground. The central dead stub is probably 15' long, and 1-1.5' diameter at the break. It used to be somewhat taller.

Most can be bombed into ivy, except about 20% of the crown, maybe.

Repeat customer of a few visits over the last 7-8 years.

That should keep you in business a while! Did trusty hound not stand in the pic admiring the box? Or is that just for saws?

I wish I could be there to see a tree like that worked Sean. I would probably die dragging brush, but I suppose it would be an honorable death.

Had to rigg off of it all day yesterday, Ray which was really slow and tedious. Today, I'll have a pretty good little Red Cedar to rig some chunks into with the GRCS winch, but my fingers are a little bit crossed on that one. :|:

Grendel: Why'd you go with .63 gauge?

I'm hoping for half a day wednesday, Th,F, half on Saturday with two guys on the ground. There will be little manual dragging. I'm planning to rope it to the chipper / let the mini do the back breaking work. Probably chip to 5-6" since its cottonwood, a bit bigger than usual. We have our annual preschool fundraiser on Saturday. I have to prep for that after noon, leaving the guys to work nearby.

I did a few hours of research and read that .63 can help carry more oil out on the longer bars. I was ordering everything anyways, so local availability didn't really factor in.

Going to pick up one of these later today. I'll report back, but it looks like a re-branded Splitfire. They came well recommended.

4290ht.jpg

Nice looking splitter. Always wanted to try a splitfire and see how they worked.

If you haven't run woodland pro chain before. You may find it needs the raker reshaped to make it cut as fast as the Stihl RS.
It is not that you lower the raker, but file a angle leaving the raker shorter on the front.

I will try to get a pic of one I have done today for you.

I run some light gauge (.050) on some really long bars over four feet, and it seems to work well enough, at least with large power heads, over 100cc. Full comp as well because I had a bunch of it. I haven't broken a chain yet. I'd like to compare it with a heavier gauge and for sure skip. I hadn't though of the more oil issue, it does seem like a plus. I'd probably go with .404-.63 if I was purchasing new chain for the big saws The heavier chassis makes sense to me, albeit the loss in chain speed.

I've never run Carlton chain before, but I'll keep an eye on the rakers, maybe nock the hump off the front. I'm finding this full skip feeds really well on the things I've got into so far, mostly Pine and Maple.

I hear you Jay, I wanted to get to the bottom of the chain gauge mystery. Don't know that I succeeded, but I think I got a better handle on it anyways. I always thought the different gauges were so you could keep running the same bar and account for wear in the groove, but such was not the case (though some people reported doing just that). It seems like it's a regional thing as much as anything, kind of what the local dealers like to keep on hand. I don't know that there is any performance difference, oil wise, but some guys over on the Forestry Forum mentioned it and the old guys up here confirmed that the wider drivers would be able to pull more oil forward when cutting in big wood.

Back