How'd it go today?

Nice day here. Wedged a couple of spruce back into the woodland for a road widening scheme. About 90ft tall & 30" dbh. Limbed up, cut into 10ft lengths & brash stacked. 2hours door to door :) Really nice doing easy stuff for a change.

Thanks for all the good thoughts about the dog...Didn't work out well...found him on side of the expressway this morning...having a pretty crappy day right now.

A friend of mine looks after a hot spring lodge that is owned by a theatrical company. She told me that the feds are doing sone flood prevention work along a river that the lodge sits next to. They had cut a number of trees, also on a bit of the adjoining lodge property, and she had gotten an ok for me to go get the firewood. A real nice area with a powerful prisine river. I drove out there and loaded up a bunch of Oak, and since my friend was going to be away on errands, she left me the keys to get into the lodge to use the hot spring. Mostly the place seldom gets used. but they keep it real clean and tidy. You can open some large windows in the bath that look out over the river, get the breeze coming in. A wonderful way to spend a couple hours to relax and relieve muscle aches. Quite a luxury really.

Sorry, Dave, just read your sad news.

My condolences on the loss of your dog Dave.
Al it seems that is the way of mechanics these days. Two mo. ago I changed a clutch in a friends 150 and slave cyl. as well. It went out on him out of town they fleesed him for 800+as they did a complete clutch again when I know it could have only been the master or the slave. Like your tip of the welding rod to keep them from collapsing.

Hate to read this, Dave. More than hate...no real explanation but that I'm a sucker for dogs, but I'm sitting here actually crying for you, and your pup, and how much I still miss Jasper, and how hard it is to think about getting another puppy, and how much we probably should.

It sucks, brother. It sucks.

Physically knackered after two large ash reductions on Tuesday/Wednesday we went off to dismantle a large gleditsia, which was leaning precariously.
Ended up pretty much "dismantling" the small horse chestnut underneath, nobody seemed to mind, collected the cheque, home in time for Dangermouse.

Damn Dave. Sorry to read of your dog.

I'm elbow deep in mechanical myself and am appalled at just what the parts alone are worth these days. Re-doing the entire front end of my '03 f350 4x4 right now.

Throwline rigging. lol

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HcpOq-5EU8Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(I know I forgot my helmet!! Boo!!)

Damn Dave, so sorry to hear about your dog :cry:

Collection and burial? I know that's rough. I shed tears for the last dog I buried. . . At least you found him.

I pulled the body off the roadway and into the ditch. 'bout all I could handle...county will pick it up. I used to do pickup and disposal, as well as holding for euthanization when I worked at a county shelter... better disposal than burying with all the other animals around here...

There's another way to shake a bleeder loose .You take a welding rod and insert a small section in the bleeder before you wrench it .The bleeder is basically a tube with thin side walls which can collapse if it's rusted .The rod holds the walls from collapsing --most of the time.

I've got a little 3/8" impact wrench and would have used about 20 PSI of air pressure .It's not a big deal,I was just letting off steam .:)

I am amazed how good it works to heat a bleeder up and then quickly quench it. If it doesn't work the first time the second time does the trick. Like magic.

Grendel: You got some bigshot skills, brother. Love that shot of the tree trying to pull roots. Actually, I love all your shots of MI... seems like a really beautiful place. I grew up in Minnesota.

Dave: So very, very sorry. Nasty news.

Sean: Man, that's a pig.

Dog-hair, little Hemlock on a garadge today. Couldn't believe the dimensions on that little pole. 139'x24"! Measured on the tape...

unnamed-394.jpg unnamed-396.jpg unnamed-395.jpg unnamed-397.jpg

Then, Andy and I went out to St. Michelle Winery to check out some pruning we've got to do next week. Some pigs out there I tell ya...

Attachments

• unnamed-391.jpg
    unnamed-391.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 60
  • unnamed-392.jpg
    unnamed-392.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 61
  • unnamed-393.jpg
    unnamed-393.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 61
Guess this was my exhaust leak, the flare on the y-pipe is mostly rotted away. Not the worst news, bought a bolt together slip flange and had to lay a couple beads on it to close up the opening to catch what's left of the flare. Unfortunately, upon pumping my floor jack some air must've been trapped in the pump and the handle shot back up, got my lip, my nose, eye and forehead. nearly cleaned my clock that hit. Bleeding nose, lip and a goose egg. Had to take the morning off. Exhaust leak is much quieter now. Any spelling mistakes or I don't make sense it's due to the wack to my noggin.

IMG_20151203_135146.jpg

I finally got my gear unpacked after a long road trip. I was hired to do a bunch of tree work that the other tree services had turned down. I got rained on for two days. Met some great guys.....namely Jeff of Jeff's Tree Service in Hankinson, North Dakota. Great guy.

Every last piece of my gear was soaked. I finally had time to drag everything out and started to put it away, only to see that the ropes were frozen stiff in the bags. So....bring everything in and set it near the wood burning furnace. Several hours later I was able to pull the ropes out and string them up to dry. I managed to get through all of my climbing gear today. I'll start drying out the rigging goodies tomorrow, then I'll pack everything away for the winter.

Joel

Back