How'd it go today?

Jed, Nice pics, and crazy dimensions on that skinny one!

Good to see you kicking around Joel.

Wowsa, Peter. Dont take a trauma to the head lightly.

Sorta related I guess, the old doctor in town used to say that the two things that caused the most stitches he ever put in were German Sheppard dogs and HI-Lift jacks.

Thanks, Tylenol, iced up and rawleigh ointment, no signs of concussion. Just sore, I've taken harder hits from some of the women I dated. ;)

Sorta related I guess, the old doctor in town used to say that the two things that caused the most stitches he ever put in were German Sheppard dogs and HI-Lift jacks.

What happens with Hi-Lift jacks? The handle is my guess, although I have never seen that happen. I use one fairly often. My bud is afraid of it because of the way it slams all the way to the bottom when you release it. He wants nothing to do with it.

Lose grip on a hi-lift handle when pushing down and it will whack you good.

Before they made them drop after the pressure is off like the current ones. The handle could ratchet down if you lost your grip. Almost running out of control or busting your hand if your reached in to stop it.

It has been raining for the last couple of weeks, steadily.
Logging is called off, in fact I have a bunch of beech logs that I have no idea how we'll get skidded out.
So we set to planting Sitka spruce instead, they like a wet climate.
The new apprentice is struggling to reach a good daily number.
To show him how it is done by real men and all that stuff, I put 1000 in the ground by one o'clock and went home.
Easy peasy, no problem, and I'll never tell him that my legs are absolutely done in.
Good thing it is weekend now.

:lol: got to keep one up on them youngsters Stig.

Took truck in for an oil change. Mentioned my brake and ABS lights were coming on after the truck warmed up on longer drives. Mech said it was due to larger size tires on the truck...so they calibrated for that tire size...kinda wondering if the calibration had to do with removing the light bulbs or u plugging a sensor? :/: just sounded a bit off to me...

Not too bad of a day...only went to door to let the dog out once...then later was going to call him 'cause I had dropped some cupcake crumbs on the floor...then realization hit. Wasn't conscious of all the cleaning he did around here I guess.:|: It hasn't really sunk in yet i guess...keep expecting to see him laying around, or come bugging me for attention. This is going to take a little time I'm thinking.

Take some pics of your tree planting tools n methods Stig?

I've always been told that trees originating from seed already in the ground have the best root systems, and therefore superior strength n stability?

An old wive's tale? My gut says no, logical and provable, as evidenced by improperly planted saplings that become root bound, fall over, or choke themselves to death after twenty years or so.

Jomo

St Barbara? Got to be a Roman Catholic gal.

Dave: Man, that's still some sad stuff.

Stig: :lol: An old deoderant TV comercial over here used to say, "Never let them see you sweat."

Pruned an old-school second growth Fir, with some cool-lookin limbs today...

unnamed-399.jpg unnamed-398.jpg

Today was just a head ache. Tight curvy driveway, rental chipper complete with dead battery, 110' white pine next to power, and a shared driveway. The tree was the easy part to deal with. The bosses brother way underbid the job and even pulled his crew off it earlier in the week after realizing the bucket was just a free ride half way up it. Have two decent sized removals up by the house that I'll be climbing Monday. A little toight but the worst will be on the groundies I believe.

Here's the dumb ass of the day award pic. Decided to fly the top and thought I could clear a couple of linden trees below.
image.jpg
I watched it land there and said "f#*k beans, never would've guessed that would happen"
Finished the log before taking that pic

Yesterday I squared the bottom log of that big ash I flopped with the Partner P100/McCulloch PM 1000 . Didn't do worth a damn , needs more work I guess .I brought out the good ole 038 Mag I added some soup to and finished the job.

When I stack those saw logs rather than use paint or anchor seal I slather the ends with roof/foundation tar .Seals better to attempt to prevent checking .Not a big deal just cut off a cookie prior to ripping into lumber .

Lose grip on a hi-lift handle when pushing down and it will whack you good.

Before they made them drop after the pressure is off like the current ones. The handle could ratchet down if you lost your grip. Almost running out of control or busting your hand if your reached in to stop it.

Exactly. About 1995 or so the USFS decided they had too many accidents associated with HI-Lifts and declared them verboten.

They never did take my two away from me...boss went to bat for me and told the District Ranger "if anyone can use one safely it's Burnham, but as soon as I get the chance I'll have him pull them from his rig". Never heard another word on the subject :).

When I retired in 2012, there were still two Hi-Lifts in my rigging/gear box on the truck (three replacements beyond 1995).

Last edited:
Nice job, Stig. Is that like doing 1000 squats?
If you do it right, yes.
If you don't squat, you have to bend your back, and no-one has a back that'll hold up to that.
So teaching the new kids how, is mainly getting the method right, then the numbers will follow.
But good apprentices will want to show that they can keep up, so they wear them selves completely out at first.

This kid is still in the try-out phase, that is why I added the insult of putting 1000 in the ground in 6 hours. In bad soil, with clay just 5" under the topsoil.
Not many can do that, good planters do 1000 in a day.
I was lucky enough to have a mentor, whose special skill was slim lining work procedures. ( The guy who died last sunday)
I have benefitted from that my whole career.
Never a wasted move, whatever I do.
I teach my apprentices the same way.
If you fall a tree that your bar can reach through, you should be able to do it in 3 cuts, without shifting your feet.

Back