How'd it go today?

It looks like I have some vermin in the house. I've been finding hickory nuts all over the place, including in my boot. .:/:
Just yesterday I looked inside my old 77' Ford F250 .Somehow the damned squirrels have filled the seat and the floor boards with about a bushel of black walnuts ,husks and all .

Did a big conifer hedge trim for a guy I went to school with yesterday - he was at work and the wife was home all day, temps were touching almost 40 deg C. No cold drinks on offer, no "hi there", no "bye guys, thanks for that". It was a similar situation last time we worked there- in the driving rain (10+ hour day) because the work had been scheduled right up against new building work... no hot drinks on offer, only comments about damage (which was all part of the bid as was due for demolition within hours anyway). Some people/lawyers are odd.

not odd...just socially upward conscious...you can't help with them moving up so are not worth the bother...I find most horse owners are the same...

Last edited by a moderator:
It always strikes me as odd when you are doing a major arrangement of the view of the outside of someone's house, and they never come out to see. I guess the polite thing to do would be to knock and then cordially invite them out to observe. Perhaps you could get some formal invitations printed up for the occasion.

Once hubby left for work she pulled down all the yard facing blinds as well, didn't want any incidental eye contact:lol: I'm totally fine with this from strangers... Its only as her parents in law are friends of my parents that I bothered to make mention.

Had the thing with the blind a couple of months ago.
Took down a tree in a house where an arab fimily lived.
Soon as we showed up, the woman, who was wearing full chador, closed all the blinds.
Good thing, too.
I would have been terribly distracted from work if I'd caught a glimpse of her, women claf in black from head to toe, with only a slit for the eyes is a major turn on for me.

I agree about the oddness, I never understand the clients who show no interest at all in a process that will change their environment.
It's their prerogative of course, their money is as good as anyone's.

Had the thing with the blind a couple of months ago.
Took down a tree in a house where an arab fimily lived.
Soon as we showed up, the woman, who was wearing full chador, closed all the blinds.
Good thing, too.
I would have been terribly distracted from work if I'd caught a glimpse of her, women claf in black from head to toe, with only a slit for the eyes is a major turn on for me.

:iconbiggrin:

The ones across the road asked me do take down their tree, (for a bit of beer money) I said no, too many wires and it was a nice tree. Came home one day and the power was out, wires down and the corner of their roof smashed and bunch of them cleaning up.

Not sure if they have blinds or not because they painted all the windows white. So I can't get distracted backing in either.

Went camping by the sea for our anniversary weekend, cave exploring and hot spring swim on the way...very relaxing!

Summer is here in Tasmania, but yesterday and today a big cold front dumped snow in the mountains.
Very windy yesterday and a fierce squall went through around 4:30pm, pager went off around 6 for storm damage, ancient old shed had lost some of the tin sheets, flapping and blowing right next to the neighbours...two crews to get three ropes across the roof, stakes in the ground and tie it all down. Bit of over kill, but our unit is not 'storm response' certified yet as we are primarily a road crash unit, so the town gang had to drive an hr. to us to go up a ladder and throw ropes across a roof...I was so hoping it was a tree down, woulda been woodchips in a heatbeat!

Off to a first responder trauma training course tomorrow 'Care Flight' MediSim...designed to give us a better handle on what to do if we get to the car crash before the ambos.

Sounds interesting Bermy. We dont do a bunch of proactive work in our town, mostly reactive. We would have probably let the shed blow down, then clean up a little. Good idea though!

I hope you enjoy your trauma class. Rapid interventions such as getting an airway or stabilizing the C spine is a great thing to do. Though not much can be done if entrapped. An ejected patient you can do the ABC's and C spine and high powered CPR. Makes a huge difference!

Good luck! Oh, and happy anniversary.

Once hubby left for work she pulled down all the yard facing blinds as well,

Something for a thought. Too all us treefolks, climbing and rigging is second nature.

To a layman, we can scare the shit out of them just by watching.
Also working class folks are intimidating to a lot of desk drivers.

My .02

Cut timber today. On some billy goat terrain. I'm NOT in cutting condition. Shouldn't have any trouble at all sleeping tonight. Have to take down a shagbark hickory in the morning growing over some some trellises, hardscaping, and a house. I'm gonna smoke that bastard though. I was eyein it up pretty good at the estimate and its crotched out in such a way that I can float the leads down level with mid ties, and tip tie some others and send em down butt first. The trellises are the headache and how I rig it out is going to determine how quickly and painlessly the ground dwellers handle the limbs.

Look at you, working day after thxgvg and Saturday too. Serious hustle. Where is your climber? Shagbark hickory imo is kind of a masters class job cuz the wood is so tough, it doesn't take spurs real well and doesn't take much at all for a big piece being cut to hang on at the last second and go sideways at the climber. Make those faces extra wide open! And maybe nip the sides of the hinge a bit below the hinge before making the back cut

So today I went to take down this oak with a hollow near the base
IMG_20151116_122521271.jpg

When I went to pick up the lift as I was not going to climb AND rig from a questionable tree, it was not there. I reserved a 50' tow behind, and 2 of them were due back at 7am, at 830 they were not there. Since I was only a mile or 2 from the rental place, they waved the delivery fee and matched the rental rate for sending me a 45' self propelled. I appreciate it when someone does what it takes to make things work, sure saved my day
IMG_20151127_125227876.jpg

IMG_20151127_130914082.jpg

After using a lift, I now have bucket envy. It was mind boggling to me how quickly rigging can be set up and how quick I could just go back down to get an item and get right back up to where I was. I think I'll be renting them a bit more often in the future

Back