How'd it go today?

I woke up way before daylight this morning.....for no good reason. I work at home.......no driving to the job. No real need to get up that early. Damn.......I must be getting old.

How did you deal with the wood Reg? Or was it a fairly clear drop to the driveway?

Justin: I'm always up super early.

We rigged some and dropped the rest Jed. We had 2 80ft firs to rig after that....so there was no time to waste really. I priced this job without seeing it first....bas ed on the guys description over the phone. I've wasted and lost money in the past visiting and pricing these island jobs....only to never hear back from them. I told the guy that if we turned up and decided that the other tree companies were correct in that the tree needed a bucket, then we would get back on the next boat and it wouldn't cost him anything. As it turned out, there was nothing to worry about.

Been chasing around clearing broken trees after the big weekend snowfall.
People calling from all over.
State forest called today about a doug fir logging job, be good to get back in the woods after all this urban tree work.

Better than in the woods, actually, especially on emergency stuff like this.
I just can't handle more than max 3 weeks in urbanity, then I start to long for the solitude of the woods.
I like doing arborist work, with my outlawed gear, but I was really born to the " One man and his trusty chainsaw in the woods" thing.
Dogs like the woods better, too.

Today we worked at a school, taking a tree off a roof and removing broken branches from around the playground.
Dogs were on the truckbed as usual. So there was a bunch of little girls petting them in every recess.
As I packed up, I noticed that the part of the bed near the open side was covered with white hair.
Those dogs REALLY got some loving:)

I'm an aficionado of the afternoon nap. I always wake around 4am then just spend the next two hours drifting in and out of a half sleep, torturing myself about my problems, real or imagined.

Not all that cold here Jim. Just enough to make it a tad icy for travel in spots. Might get more snow .... Just going to stay home for Turkey. We'll go over to my parents on Sunday. Turns out my one of my sisters will be there that day as well.

Every little bit helps. We are traditionally wet this time of year through December. The truth will come after January. Hard to off set years of drought with a little bit of rain and snow. Snow pack will be key. Everything else pretty much runs down hill.
I usually see Meredith a couple times a year. Always nice to though. Kids love their aunty very much.

Stephen, you deserve a few days off the way you been knocking things out.

getting warmer here for a day or so...snow all melting off...not feeling at all energetic, but might chip some of the brush laying around here and pick up some wet leaves:|:

True Dave, been a tad hectic around here. Flew Dave home for the holiday yesterday and found the boys their wrestling shoes while down in the city.
3 weeks on that 45 tree job was enough to spin a head I think. Only injury was a turned ankle and a bonked nose. (custys should not bear witness on decks you are working over :lol: )
Only broke my cell phone (fell off the truck) and one of the contractors broke his 16 foot 17k rated dump trailer. Mount on the hydraulics.
Other things broke on the peripheral jobs that went on as we could down size the larger job crew and send them out on smaller removals.
Crazy busy. And I still can't return all the calls. 20 trees here 5 trees there......
Toasted a transmission on a 3 tree job. Just too many heavy loads for the flat bed. It was a bit tired going into this, so I expected it. It's at the shop now waiting on the new unit, I have to get to mounting the hitch for the goose neck in my F250 like yesterday. Just finally got the steel for that couple days ago. Sunrise to sunset does not allow for much time to fix crap.
When Mike rolled his ankle, it put more climbing on Dave and I to get through the job. Mike only got to climb the first few days, Came down the stem and stepped off wrong. Put him on light duty after a couple days off. Boy can run some ropes though ;)

Jim, still not feeling 100%...no energy, not sure what's going on...might have to get out and do something to see if I can knock it out of my system.

I woke up way before daylight this morning.....for no good reason. I work at home.......no driving to the job. No real need to get up that early. Damn.......I must be getting old.
Myself ,I've been getting up at 4:30 AM for years and years .I think the latest I've slept was about 6 ish when Georgie Girl and I were in Tampa Fla in April .It just becomes a habit I guess .About 10 PM my lights go out .

Pics of the ash . Not my best looking stump but I could have drove a nail with it .It scaled right at a thousand board feet Doyle after I trimmed the logs .Most likely another half cord of firewood also .

I had one hell of a time dragging that bottom log that weighed aprox 3400 pounds with a Fergy TO 20 Got-er done .Beer thirty

Attachments

• Ash spar 004.jpg
    Ash spar 004.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Ash spar 006.jpg
    Ash spar 006.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 54
Back