How'd it go today?

Crikey, lot of people getting stuff done lately! Must be the spring fever.
I've been very quiet work wise lately. Just as I've hired someone legitimately so to speak.
We're targeting the nearby town of Angouleme this year, haven't up to now for various reasons. The slump will pass, I try to look at it as a chance to get stuff done at home.

80 post since I last read, wow I knew I was not checking in and participating as much, not out of want. Short of help makes one tired. Life of owner climber and grunt I am learning.

Yesterday was a day of finishing stuff for me.
I finished painting the horse stable. Now that project, started in june last year when I came back from California, is finally at end.
Also finished cutting, splitting and stacking the firewood. 40 cubic meters of oak.
That was the last two big things that needed done this spring, sure feels good to have them over with.
We gathered all the debris from the firewood splitting and made a nice fire.
Ended up sitting till 1 PM drinking tea and eating cake and being romantic as the stars came out.:)

P1020760.JPG P1020764.JPG P1020759.JPG P1020766.JPG

Fine looking place you have there.

Hand split all that??

There was about 1 cubic meter that was all crotchwood.
I used the hydraulic splitter for that.
That is the last pile by Thais dog.
All the rest is split by hand.
I just don't beat myself silly against an impossible piece. It goes in the pile for non-hand splitting.

Really nice place Stig - I would love somewhere like that.

Tasty I hope Peter - home grown or reared food always seems to enhance the eating pleasure.

Fried with onions and some mashed potato. It was good, totally different to anything you can buy. Fresh as in about an hour after the pig was killed.

Very good Stig.

Peter, sounds like some good farm living!! I'm 100% for home-raised meat instead of store bought. I gotta ask though, I know home raised pigs can be very endearing creatures, was it hard to do them in?

Very good Stig.

Peter, sounds like some good farm living!! I'm 100% for home-raised meat instead of store bought. I gotta ask though, I know home raised pigs can be very endearing creatures, was it hard to do them in?

Yes and no. It certainly brings home the reality of eating meat, that a living creature has to die. On the other hand I had a very experienced professional butcher kill them, and I'm certain they didn't suffer or even know what happened. A bittersweet experience for sure.

I'd starve or turn vegetarian if I was a farmer, couldn't eat anything I raised.

Big day tomorrow so spent this afternoon sharpening saws and dusting some cobwebs off things. Fired up my old 020T. :D Haven't used it for months, I use the others but this one is for special jobs.

Yes and no. It certainly brings home the reality of eating meat, that a living creature has to die. On the other hand I had a very experienced professional butcher kill them, and I'm certain they didn't suffer or even know what happened. A bittersweet experience for sure.

Thankyou for your well written perspective.

Worst service call I did for my electrical business was a big production hog butcher during kill day..... the screaming pigs.....but I do like bacon.

Not any more.
They are shipping more and more pigs to Germany for processing.
Cheaper labour force down there, apparently.
I bet the pigs enjoy the trip, stacked 4 deep and squeezed together in a truck.
But then they are used to living in VERY little space already, being raised that way.
If I wasn't a vegetarian, crap like that would turn me into one.

I like your way better, Peter.

Back