How'd it go today?

I hate welding fuel tanks, I always worry not enough inert gas pumped in or if it's water filled the weld is crap. Used to be some product that it was a 2 part epoxy you'd mix and swish around the inside of the tank, but it's no longer available up here.

Had a great day. Our asplundth guy we hired told me he wanted some bucket time so I gave it to him. He got four limbs roped off and came down. He then asked how he was supposed to do the rest. I got out my gear and said have at it. Suddenly he was content with dragging my brush. I went drt with the HH tied in about 90' and had a blast. My boss joined the crews up for the job so I got the best rope man in the company( the other climbing foreman). We blew out a two day job except for felling two spars and hauling the logs. I'm sure we will get rewarded with another big takedown while his minions finish that one.

Nice fix, Mick.

I've got a tiny fuel leak out of the metal tank on an RG 50, at one of the welds. Anybody got a quick fix, short of welding?

I once duct taped a big shop vac to the fill hole on the D8 so we could weld a hole in the side of the tank. We could not get a good weld with diesel pouring out. The shop vac fixed it so it was below atmospheric in the tank and no diesel would pour out.

Not my finest hour safety wise, but got the job done.

I would suppose that a commercial adhesive or epoxy might work on a seam like that Cory, especially if you could get the fuel to stop flowing long enough to clean the joint and keep the contamination out.

The shop vac system might work to stop the flow long enough to to get a good bond. Ya never know.

Thanks all for the well wishes

Thanks for the explanation Dave. As of right now though it feels more like unloading huge weights out of a backpack ive been carrying, as I say 'no more' to the tree companies I've been working with. I mean, I understand that works not just going to fall out of the sky on to my lap....I really have to put in the time to generate it over the next few years to get established. But just to have a new focus ar this stage feels like a reward in itself.

The trolley has proved a blessing so far....of which I've found a nice spot for it on the chipper (see pic). The Honda winch, another. There lots of other time savers I have to work on though.
My climbing skills and agility at 42 honestly feel as good as they've ever been. So, as long as I do my best and not anything significantly foolish, then I should be alright.View attachment 61017

Good for you my friend! Who knows, someday you may be the one hiring the contract climbers to work your jobs when you get so busy and are climbing on another job.

Ended a good week with the hedge from hell. Used to take me two hours once, now it's five and it's not me slowing down, they keep adding to it and vines from next door keep growing into it.

Has to be ten feet. There has to be a limit to how many times you can go up and down a step ladder without going crazy.:pissed:

Not to mention boring as hell.

Bloody Windows updates just crashed my laptop, says I need a recovery disc to fix it which I don't have. Seems you can get something like it for $20, but I might wait and ring my computer guy on monday. oxcoooooof error seems to happen to a lot of people.

Ended a good week with the hedge from hell. Used to take me two hours once, now it's five and it's not me slowing down, they keep adding to it and vines from next door keep growing into it.

Has to be ten feet. There has to be a limit to how many times you can go up and down a step ladder without going crazy.:pissed:

That is whe we use articulated stilts.
They work real well for hedges.

Took on some light jobs myself, just randomly doing little jobs toward the end of the week to rest up for this week end...
Stuff like this in little trees :)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mM1eO4jVSIE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They are the cat's ass for pruning small fruit trees as well.
On bigger trees, we team up.
Richard will do the low stuff and I follow with the orchard ladder.

Good week - even managed a days climbing in between the felling work. Legs were a little tired after 5 1/2 hours on spikes though - just not used to it now.
felling is nearly finished here on the estate. In a really awkward section to finish - mainly maple coppice, which although mostly being between 10" & 24" at felling height, the trees are long - 80ft most of them & I'm spending a lot of time wedging skinny back learners down the hill.

Got to go back and finish the job I started. Found out why I had so many people when I got there. PO added four more removals. He came back around as we were finishing up and wants more trimming done and one large white oak that leans heavily over the road. I'll get a free ride in the bucket to get me the first sixty feet.
Gonna go watch my daughters T-ball game and load up for ornamental pruning tomorrow. I might get potatoes and onions planted tonight also.

Got the pipe line done. All 24,000 feet. The pasture is seeded and the pipeline is reclaimed. The tire tanks are in and the bentonite is all mixed. All the portable wind break is up too

The only thing I need to do is trench over from my meter loop to the well and get the electric finished.

I am even getting some seeding and spraying done!

Making progress.

Good feeling that the new guy will be trainable. Experienced, but only worked with one climber. He loved the Senas. Good for training from in the tree. Banged out some maples from over a house. Belay Spool for the win. I'm going to have to track another down. My dirty rope are wearing on it, and 4-5 years use.

I also got my state EMR licence. Also, the ambulance crew called and asked me to join them. Looking forward to helping my community in a medical role.

The medical control is not thrilled about EMRs running on an ambulance, she wants a pledge that we will further our education and become EMTs. I said no problem, I always wanted to be an EMT anyway.

Might take a few years, but with some bridge classes I might get there. 180 hours is a long time for a group of volunteers to teach a class, so they did not really like the idea of teaching the class, so they taught an 80 hour EMR class.

Back