How'd it go today?

Right on, I just liked the story and the name I guess.

I've been pulling logs with the pickup a bit lately and using a sacrificial bit of rope to choke the log and take the damage. Used in connection to the main pull line.

Cheers

Went fishing today...2hrs to get to the coast, but Oh so worth it! (yes back in Tassie so the ocean is a bit of a drive away)
Cooler full of cockie salmon and couta and two big squid. One squid came in latched on to a couta.
I caught the biggest fish, a 5lb cockie, took about 15-20 mins to get him in on a light spinner.
They are otherwise known as Australian salmon, and boy can they fight! They jump, tail walk, sound, barrel roll, everything!
Couta look a bit like mini barracudas, big teeth, long skinny and shiny, but small.

In the channel between Freycinet Point and Schouten Island we fished on a school of fish for about an hr, there had to be thousands of them feeding on something, if we weren't catching it was worth it just to witness all those fish swimming and feeding all around us and under us, marvellous!

Fantastic day!

Working in a private school today right in the middle of the city, the tree I was in was in the school grounds but with a 30 to 40ft drop from the base of the tree to the busy road below, everything of course was going well until I handled and then dropped a small chunk of wood, as I let go the word NO ran through my head, the chunk clipped a twig on the way down, hit the coping and then flew across the road towards a nice Merc that was driving down the road, I thought it was going through the windscreen but it hit the ground in front of the car.

The car didn't stop but eventually the driver came back up the hill pretty chilled out but looking for a jack as the chunk was stuck under the car, I naturally apologised my arse off but he and his lovely girlfriend were fine and told me not to worry as there was not even a scratch on the 40k leased motor.

Very lucky day.

Good to see people in fancy cars being reasonable. Too often, shiny, expensive cars are like porcupines, except the pricks are on the inside.

It's nice to hear about a reasonable encounter under unpleasant circumstances. Reminds me of what happen up the road last summer. A contractor was doing some directional boring and the drill came out of the ground, went through one tire of the first car and then up and through the second. I don't know what makes the cars were, but they were installing a personal fiber optic cable line that they customer had paid for. I heard Verizon charged them $900,000 to run the fiber from a neighboring town.:O

Wussed out and called the Realtor I'm taking a tree down for and asked him to rent large a lift to finish it. Been in the top of this thing twice but the little safety guy inside has been screaming at me all weekend to the point of me not sleeping well.

He took it pretty well and will call back after he gets it worked out.

I hate doing this stuff but just was too uncomfortable with the situation of the tree and the defects involved. It's one of those deals where it doesn't look that bad from the ground but is a different story when you are in the air.

I love it when a guy actually pays attention to the intellect part of his brain instead of the id/ego/badass part. Your higher processes say, "something is wrong with this equation...not exactly sure what, but if something parses out squirrel-ly it ain't gonna be good." And the badass/ego says, "I can handle it, I'm badass, no problem".

Oops can be a bad word...good call, Dave.

Gary, I could identify several problems, and went through,countless scenarios in my head. Just couldn't justify taking the chance of screwing up. I'd already ended my career or my life in that tree mentally at least 50 times this weekend.

Customer was cool with it and mentioned he knew I was treating him fair, understood it was a safety issue, and that he has a lot more tree work that I will be getting in the future. So all is good on that front anyway.:)

Easton. What part are you in?

I have not been to visit yet. The last time I was on the East Coast was for my cousin's wedding in Nutley New Jersey. I was 10 or so and ended up getting drunk on champagne. I guess it was good champagne too, my cousin married the son of the owner of Majestic Clothing. I guess they were big on the east coast, never seen that brand out West. Anyway, the champagne they could afford got my country ass blitzed. Mom was horrified.

Edit: Maybe they did not make regular clothes? Only sports jerseys? I guess I never asked.

I'm from the northeast corner by the landfill known as Scranton. Skip Easton. It's ugly. Check out central and north central PA. No, it's not Montana but its gorgeous in its own ways.

Wussed out and called the Realtor I'm taking a tree down for and asked him to rent large a lift to finish it. Been in the top of this thing twice but the little safety guy inside has been screaming at me all weekend to the point of me not sleeping well.

He took it pretty well and will call back after he gets it worked out.

I hate doing this stuff but just was too uncomfortable with the situation of the tree and the defects involved. It's one of those deals where it doesn't look that bad from the ground but is a different story when you are in the air.
Dead climbers make lousy money.

Good call.

These two pics sum up my day. NOTHING broken.:lol:

Attachments

• 10849763_10152839485741815_4692261817843725549_n.jpg
    10849763_10152839485741815_4692261817843725549_n.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 10869699_10152839578046815_3151934558922450480_o.jpg
    10869699_10152839578046815_3151934558922450480_o.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 38
Trimmed a small soft maple today and an adjoining catalpa tree. Lots of hand saw and pole saw=really sore shoulder tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to try and knock out a trim on a nice hard maple and remove two dead ash at a reception hall for trade. If I can keep this momentum through Christmas I'll be happy. Did pick up a nice woods to go in and cut firewood and try to make it park like

Might have cleared up an intermittent electrical problem with my charging system. I didn't know that there was an external voltage regulator for my 1990 alternator. Seems the application range went from mid eighties into the 90s. Lesson learned. $15. some four letter words.

I'm learning enough about mechanics to be okay at dealing with old equipment, but in time for the new equipment to come along where its too complicated and computerized for me to be able to do anything with it.

Leaving in a few hours to go to Northern England. Maybe pick up a chipper. See my brothers family. 1600 miles or thereabouts in 5 days in a van.

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!

Back