How'd it go today?

I always seem to have to remind myself you guys are in summer now Steve.
We finally just get cooled off and you are sweating it out.

When people here start talking about snow I know it's going to get hot.:laughing6:

Hard to get going this morning after yesterday and it was a bit warmer. Had a choice either spread yesterdays chips in a garden with no shade or prune some shrubs, I went with the shrubs.

That was ok until I had to dig one out, not worth going home for the grinder. That was enough for me I came home after that and same as yesterday, just got in and it cooled right down and it's supposed to be cooler for a few days now.

I make the same kind of choices. Like today, I am choosing not to monkey around in a blue oak that will have mud for bark in the rain.
I think I will go find a store within an hour of my home and buy some asthma medicine I am completely out of that no one has in town right now,.

No rest for the wicked:D

Got a call from my guitar playing buddy. Mike Lilly (Country Gentlemen, Larry Sparks, Lilly & Allen), who we're both playing for, was being interviewed today for a front page feature article about his coming back into the spotlight & starting to tour again. Had to make sure they got my last name and hometown correct for the article :D which will be in the January issue of Banjo Newsletter. 8)

Talked to Wally/Reddog on the phone for the first time today and we are going to get together in person tomorrow with Nick/timbertramp. Looking forward to shaking hands with another member of The 'House. We may even do a little deconstructing of trees.:/:

Good training day sharpening the newest on the art of lowering. Good piece of mind for the next job.

You guys enjoy your deconstructing :cool:

All things heavenly rarify to air. Trèès pŕoduce that heavenly air. Breathe air and take care.

Well today was something that's for sure, took a bad hit and banged myself up a little bit (luckily just a lot of ouches and not breaks). Ticks me off more than anything, atleast tomorrow is another day and I get to see it. Also didn't damage anything on the property and that tree is down so that's a plus. Did get a nice surprise in the mail today, a bunch of tree dvds from tree stuff hope I wasn't supposed to wait till Christmas lol.

He will be relegated to supervising tomorrow:/:

Nick your gonna enjoy Gerry's series! Glad to hear it finally arrived!

Got to go back on that nasty creek job today. It's hard to say I'm on a clearing job and only put 6 trees down today. Crew that was on the job before me took out anything that could've been useful to rig to or redirect to. Never imagined I'd be stripping 40 nasty willows down on one job. Can't just pull them backwards either because of the limited right of way and no cooperation with the property owners. They complained enough to get this project going but don't like what needs to be done to do it. They're really gonna be mad in the spring when the sewer dept goes to upgrade a line and lift station on the other side of their properties. That and there is talk of a massive (4') gas line that involves the federal govt to be run just outside of town. I can see the sheriff will be busy in that town. I'll see if I can knock out 7 tomorrow it's gonna be a long week.

Jim, it is here. But if not subscribed you can only read 3 articles from the Archives each month. Oct. issue just became available in archives, so it is delayed about one month.

I'll see what we can do about making it readable earlier.:/:

A grand fir removal today. Had to rig most of the limbs, but was able to drop the logs. Pretty crappy tree. Thats all there is to say about it. Looking forward to work slowing down mid month.
0141202_114825.jpg

Does BC have any trees that aren't 100' or taller? It's rare around here to be over that.
Yeah there's lots of small trees too. Its a pretty good region to be in the trade it seems. The tree in the pic had big, heavy, disproportionate head on it...typical of grand firs that have been topped or blown out and regrown. That'd be quite an intimidating task if you werent a seasoned climber....which is good in a sense, because it keeps the gardeners, landscapers and general have-ago-heros out if the running. Takes a lot more than ladders and a polesaw to compete around here.

I agree Gary even with a high TIP set climbing line. With just a lanyard it's nuts, have managed to go up that way but coming down past a dog leg it's a nervous bear hug and trying to get the spurs to dig in.........that was in my early days when I didn't discover the big shot for setting lines.

Very rarely see a dog leg in a conifer, but being common in hardwood I always take the time to set a climb line.

I agree Gary even with a high TIP set climbing line. With just a lanyard it's nuts, have managed to go up that way but coming down past a dog leg it's a nervous bear hug and trying to get the spurs to dig in.........that was in my early days when I didn't discover the big shot for setting lines.

Very rarely see a dog leg in a conifer, but being common in hardwood I always take the time to set a climb line.

heres a weird one, Willard. A 90 footer. DSC02950.JPG

Doglegs are no fun and that last pic had to be a pita. Since you're here Reg, have you used steins spurs? I've been on my bashlins for 18 yrs and should probably replace them. Any recommendations would be appreciated

Back