How'd it go today?

That's real nasty Reg. Looks similar to our balsam fir here in Manitoba . Our Jack pine can get knarly like that too but at least are broad enough to get a line up in. Very rarely 90 ft though.

Doglegs are no fun and that last pic had to be a pita. Since you're here Reg, have you used steins spurs? I've been on my bashlins for 18 yrs and should probably replace them. Any recommendations would be appreciated
Yeah I have some. I think they are basically the climbrite spurs, but rebranded. They are are very good. I have geckos too, but you need a narrow sole on your boot for those, or they can be uncomfortable. Also, with the long spurs, they are so piercing, that it can be more effort to pull them out than to put them in....at least, In a conifer. You can't go far wrong with Buckingham's either, aluminum or titanium....especially with the angled pads. 0141202_114813.jpg

Fiddler and reddog came and helped with me with a big tree today. Finally figured out what it is, butter nut (white walnut). It was a good day, and enjoyed meeting reddog in person, very knowledgeable and seemed to fit right in. I'm looking forward to the day I can return the favor guys.

Yep, not a bad day. windy though:O

Wally, good job today :thumbup:

I was surprised our comms shut down after only 6 1/2 hours. They always last easily 8-10 and were fully charged. they are only a year old about now.:?

I thought that at first, then remembered them working longer last winter at -10 to -20f.

I'm thinking maybe the volume on one was turned way high all day.:/: Either that or the batteries are prematurely aging.

Re topped :wall: an old grey gum I did last year, it grew 22ft in just over twelve months.

Part dead and rotten but it's a sentimental thing, so it's just to keep it safe.

Then finished spreading the chips I gave up on yesterday, too hot and no shade. I thought it was just me when I left because there were a few guys working on a new house just up the road, then there were two big islanders lying under a little tree a bit further up, they'd given up as well.

We left line-clearing for a quick logging job.
26 big oaks that had to be skidded out tomorrow.
Those of you who are loggers, will know how absolutely frigging wonderful it is to go out in the woods when one has been working along roads, between buildings and worst of all, amongst the general population for a while.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, the silence.

Broken by revving chainsaws and the sound of big trees crashng down, but that is the fine part:)

I'm dead on my feet, though.
Going full tilt all day on a logging job after being away from it for ½ year is hard on the body.

Sounds like a good day to me:)
Contract climbing has it's ups & downs - last couple of days has been a down. When they guy s staff frig off in a huff 2 days in a row, leaving you to tidy up with the boss & block down the last tree in the near dark, then you know all is not well.
Problem is they are such lazy bastids & have a piss poor work ethic. Not my problem, but there trying to make it that way. I need this employer as work is a bit skinny, but I'm loath to have to flatten noses these days

Finished my stint of hurricane cleanup, I'm on the way back to Tasmania, right now I'm in the air somewhere over the middle of the US of A
I'm stuck in a middle seat, 6 hr flight everything is stiff and sore after 28 days straight of work, thank God my sister in law runs a spa in LA, and I have two days to relax before the big flight over the Pacific

PIC is a big nasty Norfolk pine, been beaten up repeatedly over the years by storms, they shed branches and new ones sprout out...SRT heaven. There was a broken branch up at about 50'...just one but it was heading down into the lawn as a family with little kiddies saying there, I worked for the neighbouring property, they loaned me out for a bit of work next door.

Attachments

• IMG_20141127_133035.jpg
    IMG_20141127_133035.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20141127_144057.jpg
    IMG_20141127_144057.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 48
Spa should take the creaks out of the bones...good for you.

Excellent on getting your storm work done...I know they were glad to have you around.

Glad you stayed safe, Bermy...rest up, girl.:)

Back