How'd it go today?

All depends how long ago it died I guess. Over here I find them pretty tough when dead.

Good news is MONKEYS IN SOMBREROS!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 51
MB,

That old elm is on the property line, with an antique shop right behind it. I have no access to the yard, except through a 4ft opening in the hedges. The owner is fussy about his yard and is worried that we'd tear up his lawn......so no dragging anything out. The whole thing gets carried out, piece by piece on the tractor's loader. If I win the bidding war, I'll be sure to post a few pictures of the work in progress.

Joel

MB,

That old elm is on the property line, with an antique shop right behind it. I have no access to the yard, except through a 4ft opening in the hedges. The owner is fussy about his yard and is worried that we'd tear up his lawn......so no dragging anything out. The whole thing gets carried out, piece by piece on the tractor's loader. If I win the bidding war, I'll be sure to post a few pictures of the work in progress.

Joel
Get yourself a grab for the Kubby Joel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 49
Mick,

I'm jealous. That's a handy little attachment for the loader. I've always wanted one, but my little B2920 isn't really the tractor for it. I'd like a bigger L -series Kubota to mount that grapple on. Actually, that Kubota MX-5100 would be perfect for heavier tree work.

Thanks.

Joel

Mine's a stv 36, as you say it's all about weight, 220kg counterweight on the back helps.
Good luck with the elm. Makes good firewood anyway.

Got to go back to the property from yesterday to thin out 3 maples. Took the trainee up with me on the first and biggest one. Trying to teach someone how to prune is frustrating as hell. He doesn't do bad, just verrrrry slow. They were pretty easy trees so I figured that was job to work with him. Another nice thing about them was that they had been properly taken care of. It's so nice to work in trees like that. Got done around 1:00 and had to have a long talk with the boss about getting some new equipment and another pay raise. It's a beautiful day today, almost a shame I gotta split wood now. I need to get a jump on it for next year. I sold 35 of the 50 cord I had for this year already. No rest for the wicked8)

I'm a big fan of speedlining. Three-strand is the worst for a slideline, IMO, due to the stretch and the bumpiness. I like it otherwise, in the appropriate application. No need for anything fancy. Arborplex (my first rigging rope, still around) is a measure above, stable braid better. If you don't need distance, the stretch of three-strand will cushion a bit. If you do need distance, I'd use something else. Seemed to all work out peachy. Were you dropping the top with a non-locking biner over the house? Higher damage potential pieces get a locking biner from me, FWIW. Looks good!

I think we're being a little over dramatic here.
If you don't like your iPhone/pad turn them off.
I couldn't find a decent picture of monkeys in sombreros btw.

Come and take a walk around in America before you cast your vote. America is glued to smart phones. Seriously.

Gary,

I'm actually looking forward to tackling that huge elm. I want the opportunity to use the work photos as part of my advertising flyer. Not often that we get a chance to tackle a tree that large around here. That big old elm will clean out my rigging bag in a hurry. I'm sure I'll use every single piece of gear I own on that one. Fun Fun.

Joel

I honestly didn't give a double or triple locking krab a second thought in this application. These Omegas seem very secure. I figured this line would be correct for the forces I was playing with. No reason to use anything more expensive.

I honestly didn't give a double or triple locking krab a second thought in this application. These Omegas seem very secure. I figured this line would be correct for the forces I was playing with. No reason to use anything more expensive.

Biners come unclipped. Stuff bounces. One locking rigging biner should be on hand, imo. A simple screw gate biner. A clearly marked for rigging, auto locking biner retired from life support.

Cost vs. Benefit. Stuff happens.

I agree with Sean....again (doh!!!)

Dedicate some lockers to use for higher risk drop zones...stuff does happen.

It looked to me in the picture with the non-locker on the top you are dropping that the screw gate holding the zip line isn't screwed? Did I see that right?

Playing around with an old circle mill. I got the engine running this morning. It's an old International gas start/diesel run. Someone had all the ignition wires on backwards. I started to spin the saw up to speed and had a mouse residence conflagration under the dash so had to shut down.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/k3tc4Yx8_CA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I agree with Sean....again (doh!!!)

Dedicate some lockers to use for higher risk drop zones...stuff does happen.

It looked to me in the picture with the non-locker on the top you are dropping that the screw gate holding the zip line isn't screwed? Did I see that right?

Busted! Yes, I didn't have the screw gate locked on the zip line. FWIW I knew I didn't. I should have. No excuse there. . .

I'll pick up some aluminum lockers next time I order stuff and dedicate them to that application. Thank you guys, good call.

I like that old diesel, Dave. Looks to be about perfect for the firewood processor we're building. Any idea how many horses that old engine puts out?

Hope you get that circle mill running. I'd like to see it in operation.

Joel

Back