How'd it go today?

Reg, that tree sounds bad, especially since it is long dead. You ever turn down a tree??

Depends what you mean by turn down. If its a dangerous tree or situation I'll do it on my own terms. Nobodies ever stepped in done a tree for me if thats what you mean....except perhaps in my first few years when there was somebody else at hand who would do a better job. The bad madrone turned out to be the neighbours, so it didnt get done today after all. They're gonna think about it some more. We did lots of other dead ones, but straight forward. Nice ride to the jobsite this morning.

IMG_20141022_084236.jpg

First job, under-bid, pouring rain. Daughter calling with problems at school. Wife calling with every kind of annoying detail I can imagine. Money is tight. Back hurts. Big dreams but I lack capital and I lack organizational skills. I just keep showing up.

Good line, We all just keep showing up.
Can you imagine life before mobiles?
They weren't about when I first started, you got a piece of paper with an address and a spec, then you were incommunicado till you brought the van home in the evening.
Seems a million years ago now.

Going to start putting my phone in airplane mode when I get home at night so that my wife and kids have my undivided attention.

I occasionally consider getting rid of my cell phone. I won't, but I would love to. It has been a tool I've used to lose touch with reality. This iPhone anyway. I wish I never had it.

I found a fair size cavity under some loose bark that was very soft. Sketched me out on rigging the top off, so I set a pull line and we dumped the top into the driveway. Rain chased me off after that.

DSC04119.JPG

DSC04122.JPG

DSC04123.JPG

August, my iPhone has taken away from my quality of life. Ease of life, sure, it helps. Quality, it destroys. It absolutely kills my need to interact with people. Such as asking for directions and ending up making a new friend. It gives me the Internet everywhere. I don't need it everywhere. I enjoy having it at home. I don't NEED it on lunch break, yet there I am, on it. Texting, Facebook, email. That stuff takes me away from important stuff. Like people. Even time to reflect in my mind. Why do that when I can be on the iPhone? Who needs to sit back and think uninterrupted when they can be googling pictures of monkeys wearing sombreros? I hate this phone as it has allowed me to compromise myself as a quality human. I need to get rid of it.

I don't have a smart phone, just an old Rugby. Can"t hear it ring when working,and don't use it for anything but a phone, so works out well.

Finished up Nick/timbertramp's job today. No more than closed the gate on the trailer to leave and a Customer of mine called and confirmed 2 days worth of work for next week. Guess I'll put off going North for another week:|:

Went and dead wooded and tip pruned a very large red oak today. All over the house, primaries, and four sets of service lines. Got half with the magic carpet and the other half I had to work for. Huge spread on it with 50 foot limb walks aplenty. It was almost a privledge to work on a tree that nice. I also got a text from my wife today letting me know a big heavy box came from Treestuff this morning. This order took quite a bit longer but was shipped as soon as I called to find out what was taking so long. I'm guessing the delivery truck must have been full for its pick up. It was a beautiful day.

August, my iPhone has taken away from my quality of life. Ease of life, sure, it helps. Quality, it destroys. It absolutely kills my need to interact with people. Such as asking for directions and ending up making a new friend. It gives me the Internet everywhere. I don't need it everywhere. I enjoy having it at home. I don't NEED it on lunch break, yet there I am, on it. Texting, Facebook, email. That stuff takes me away from important stuff. Like people. Even time to reflect in my mind. Why do that when I can be on the iPhone? Who needs to sit back and think uninterrupted when they can be googling pictures of monkeys wearing sombreros? I hate this phone as it has allowed me to compromise myself as a quality human. I need to get rid of it.

That is a riveting read. I read it to my wife also. She is a good barometer for weather I'm on the phone too much. Pretty ironic that it's the phone bringing me such profound wisdom though. : /

Decided to call the Family responsibility office, to change my bank account number for the deposits, had to leave a message, but it was kinda nice to leave a snarky message saying, "I don't know if there is a point to change my bank information, you guys are unable to collect for some stupid reason or another, and I've not got any payment since early 2007"

I think we're being a little over dramatic here.
If you don't like your iPhone/pad turn them off.
I couldn't find a decent picture of monkeys in sombreros btw.

Back