How'd it go today?

I could go pretty steady through the winter this year I think, but I got no cutter to step up right now. There's always some lost time in the winter. I just feel weird about not working treework at all for potentially a month? And I'm nervous about trying to hire and book up work when I can't lend a hand or even turn a wrench. Hell sometimes I'm not sure if I'm a treeguy or a mechanic, what with all the different crap that comes up.

For sure. You have to be, in my market. Hiring out all the maintenance and repairs would be prohibitive.

I'm just nervous about my carpal tunnel thing. I'll be glad when it's all over with. Lol.

Nice. We're moving to the chillier weather now. I'm feeling the crunch. Booked way to solid until my hand surgery, about a month away. Going seven days a week now. I find that very uninspiring after a couple of weeks.
Justin 7 days a week isn't going to help the numbness in your hands any. I remember that numbness, waking up in the middle of the night and having to hang my hands over the side of the bed to get the feeling back.
But haven't had that problem for about 10 years now since I switched to Husky..............................just teasing you:lol:

Lol.

Did you get the surgery/procedure?

This big push isn't going to come without some pain. I sure hope to see some relief afterwards like I've heard from so many others who've had it done.

It's come to the point that I've had to, pretty much to keep going forward. My hands seem to be rapidly becoming weak and useless, despite having suffered from the numbness for decades. It's these most recent years I'm noticing a loss in dexterity, strength, and reliability. Sounds real fun in this line of work eh.

Lol.

Did you get the surgery/procedure?

This big push isn't going to come without some pain. I sure hope to see some relief afterwards like I've heard from so many others who've had it done.

I came close to getting it done about 5 years ago at this time of the year like your doing, but since going it alone for those 5 years without an employee my hands haven't given me any problems since. Kinda weird ,maybe I toughened up a little.
Diet may be a factor I don't know. For years have taken a tablespoon of fish oil every morning, baby aspirin too.
A little vino every evening maybe what's helping.:?
Hands have always being my strongest part of me though.

Yah, I'll be following it through. I'm to wimpy to toughen up. Lol.

Pain makes me miserable. Takes a lot of the enjoyment out of things I love to do.

Well, don't spare any shrubbery getting it fixed!

I have noticed an old football injury in my left shoulder has acted up this year for the first time in 16 years. I has caused me stress.

But I cant imagine slowly loosing the use of my hands. Good Luck!

Up here there's no shrubbery involved. All covered, for everyone/anyone.

I'm sure it'll end up being no big deal and it'll help my hands a lot.

I worked alongside a few good young hand fallers back in the day who had to call it quits to their career . Watched them painfully try to tie their boot laces every morning in the change room. Lucky thing we were unionized they got a good disability payout for their white finger plus still have a full time job on light duty.

What bothers my hands is constant impact like driving wedges or hammering nails at home all day.

I worked alongside a few good young hand fallers back in the day who had to call it quits to their career . Watched them painfully try to tie their boot laces every morning in the change room. Lucky thing we were unionized they got a good disability payout for their white finger plus still have a full time job on light duty.

What bothers my hands is constant impact like driving wedges or hammering nails at home all day.

No light duty assignment here unfortunately. I mostly find the pain manageable, it's the loss of dexterity and strength that has finally pushed me to get it done, more so than the discomfort.

Dislocated my shoulder a few times. Torn rotator cuff. I was 16 at the time and the doc told me that I could not get it fixed until I turned 21 so I would be done growing.

So I quit playing football and went to work. Had not given me a minute's trouble until this spring. Shit, grey hair and now a gimped shoulder! At least I still have my personality!

I'm enjoying a day off here. Wind is blowing with 50mph gusts so treework would have been difficult to say the least, but the phone might yet ring because of it.

Bought a small electric log splitter today to help by back with the pile of firewood I need to process. Anything to make my life easier in the long- run

Just hang in there Justin - your rest will be needed & well earnt at this rate

Impact messes with my hands as well. I can't complain, for my age I don't have all that many maladies. Both of my sons have more complaints. When they were young I tried to convince them to quit messing themselves up, that it would come back to haunt them. Naturally they didn't want to hear it.

We are on the second day of the line clearing job that'll keep us busy till logging season kicks in.
Boring work, but at least they are paying us to do it right.
No spurclimbing on trees that are left standing.

long day today...I'm whupped & sore. One spar to rope down yet and remove the big wood from site to finish.

Going to be paying the crane company for their efforts a few days ago. $450 for a ten ton all day, and they told me to shine on the sales tax. Some outfits they want to even charge you for using their cables to attach to the hook, plus the sales tax of course. Cool folks, not the first time I've worked with them, but never hired them before myself. A local outfit about ten minutes away, running four cranes, including a brand new 25 ton. I told them not to bother sending me a bill, I'll just bring in the payment. Good experienced operators as well. A big help to have people like that around.

Back