How'd it go today?

Nice Dave.

I was mightily impressed with my ground guy today. Big kudos to him, he busted ass all day long as I was doing my damnedest to bury him.

If it isn't one thing it's another.I just about have that old Jeep running good and low and behold my damned Ranger starter went out .

It isn't like I have a lot of time to wrench on stuff .So used the Jeep and shoved in the garage .I'll order a freakin starter here in a little bit .Mumble grumble ----

What do yo think, we all use tin cans with bits of string between in Europe?:)

No I knew you guys have them too. But I can't say whether they have polluted your culture. Really Mick, I think you'd be shocked at the change in our culture because of them.

Took down a big pine this evening and I did bury my one and only ground guy. I was running out of light and wanted to be through today. Then the water pump went out in my truck on the way home. My ground guy's brother is a top notch mechanic who owes me a favor so maybe it won't hurt too bad.

Guy Im working for tomorrow, Kim, told me a couple weeks ago he'd priced this fir growing 2ft from a house....apparently nowhere to drop anything at all, 100ft pole gotta be rigged right down until the logs are within reach of the ground. Last thing he said on the matter was that he hoped he didnt get the job. Anyway I just got his text with tomorrows details 'we're doing that shit job I told you about!'

To be fair, the climbing part of rigging those poles is pretty easy. Just very repetitive. They've warned of a wind storm tonight/tomorrow. Hopefully a false alarm. Very calm outside right now.

Best of luck with it. Must be the same old being a hired gun.

I'm curious how it works there, do these companies need you otherwise it wouldn't get done?

They'd get it done, but it'd be slower. Its not quick work at the best of times but there's lots of little time-savers that you either know or you dont know. Its very rare to be so restricted in these parts, but I had lots of practice at that sort of shit in years gone by.

Nothing too spectacular here. Just hazard dead on some ponderosa over walks, deck and drive way. I have about 12 more trees to go. Did about 5 today. Did only 2 the other day, but we had to lower everything to a tiny walk way. TIPs range from 75-100 feet.. Fun fun. More tomorrow. Weeeeeee...... :|:

Attachments

• DSCF0079.jpg
    DSCF0079.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF0080.jpg
    DSCF0080.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF0083.jpg
    DSCF0083.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 75
Started late due to rain and traffic...quit rigging out a Black Oak 1/2 way through because of increasing wind gusts...removed Maple growing through service and cable lines...called it a day,picked up dog & went to buy some groceries.

Had a watcher for a couple hours...He came over and thanked me for the entertainment when I came out of tree. He stayed across the road and waited 'til we shut everything down before invading the work site. Asked me if I'd top a tree for him...told him no but would be happy to come take a look and discuss other options...Stopped by his place on way home and picked up a couple days worth of work...

Wondering if I'm ever going to get back up to do stumps this Fall.

Hell those stumps aren't going anywhere!

:lol: yeah but I'd like to not have to do them next spring...besides I'm really ready to shut down for the year. seem to be losing a lot of strength (mostly in my arms) lately, and figure I just need to slow down a while to recuperate...feel like I'm operating at about 50%.

I hear ya. My hands are killing me doing all the cutting again. Don't sleep much these days and sucking back the ibuprofen like candy.

I hear ya. I freaking hate this time of year.

Now I have an Emergency Medical Responder class starting next week. The damn instructors all have inside jobs and could care less that I have to get a lot of shit done before freeze up.

Just about have my meter loop finished. Going to set it tomorrow.

I think it's the big push to get as much done before winter hits that is wearing me out. Trying to get home before dark to catch up on the outside stuff that needs done and then thinking about everything that still needs done. Still putting in 10-12 hours a day on the time clock. Glad my wife talked me in to taking a few days off next week to go away. Got a cabin rented and my parents are watching the kids. I might actually get to relax for a bit.

No kids and a cabin for a week...sweet! Hope you have a great time.

Best thing about my stump job is it's just me & the dog in my camper in the woods. No one around usually and gives me time to chill out and get my thoughts squared away. Although I run the grinder as long as there is daylight I'm back at camp every four hours for fuel and a meal and some playtime w/Rusty...No TV, internet, or radio,very relaxing. Evenings I play banjo & read 'til tired enough to sleep.

Guy Im working for tomorrow, Kim, told me a couple weeks ago he'd priced this fir growing 2ft from a house....apparently nowhere to drop anything at all, 100ft pole gotta be rigged right down until the logs are within reach of the ground. Last thing he said on the matter was that he hoped he didnt get the job. Anyway I just got his text with tomorrows details 'we're doing that shit job I told you about!'

To be fair, the climbing part of rigging those poles is pretty easy. Just very repetitive. They've warned of a wind storm tonight/tomorrow. Hopefully a false alarm. Very calm outside right now.

Well so much for Kims 100 ft fir. We measured it at 150 with my climbline. We zipped the limbs into an opening but all the wood had to be rigged down conventional style. That was a lot of logs to tie-off I can tell you. I was probably 7-8 hours stood in the spurs today. Windy as hell too.:) Heres the top coming off.

Use HD setting

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BjvZWwmKgXI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7 or 8 hours on the spurs, that's a lot. Do you use the Velcro wrap pads? Do they help?
I have the leather pads, after a long day standing on a trunk my knees and hips are murder.
Anyway, should be easy today smallish cedar take down and remove, plus beautiful weather.

Back