How'd it go today?

I remeber the goodtime Rotax!!!!! Spent two day cleaning my machine waitin on inspection one time!!!! Hurry up and wait, hurry up and wait!!!!

The five axis are nice, but unless you have the programing software, trying to trig out each and every move of that machine is more of a pain in the ass than you can imagine Jay!!!
The three axis isn't bad, used to work at job shop, we got offload parts, stuff the aircraft plants coudn't handle, in a 9am and back out at 4pm. Sat down at the break table, hand wrote the programs, put in some tes material, ran it, then cranked the rest out!!! That was a pretty cool job!!! Learned a LOT FAST!!!!!!

I doubt you do a whole lot of editing on those beasts even Robert!!!

We do all our own programing using "Mastercam X" it is a super programing system with super graphics. Makes life pretty easy as with any 4 or 5 axis you would not want to try and edit any code as god only knows how many lines of code you may end with.

rotax

4 ax is cake, it's just rotational b on a mill. Get you're degree's right then position x and y. Done lots of that. Now five ax with the a and b moves, trying to match the compound angles, thats a nightmare!!!!
Mastecam is nice!!!! Never got to spend much time with it, I was the "end user", "take what you get, fix it enough that it makes the part in the picture". Gotta love small shops:lol:

I've played with the 7 axis lathes, but on a much smaller scale, Little "Swiss turns", neat critters with bar feeders etc. I think the largest would take 1.25" material with a twin spindle 7" across centers. He made the most money making tongue studs out of Ti!!!!! Yep, thats right, the studs for when you pierce you're tongue!!!!
I have seen and made more stupid things than you can imagine!!!!! Worked in a mold shop and we built a plastic injection mold for gentlemen with "erectile dysfunction". Yup, peter pumps!!!!!:lol:

a couple hours pruning a hedge and some small trees, then back to the office for a few hours to finish off a report, my 3rd in as many days, I have made double from reports vs pruning the last week or so. :D good stuff says I.

now, off to kill at Jeopardy then chill with the wife for a few hours on friday night. a pruning seminar (http://www.artsnursery.com/) to give tomorrow noon then two arborist walks to lead on Sunday at Riverview Hospital http://www.rhcs.org/ oh, and a drive up to the in laws Saturday eve (about an hours drive) for their huge anniversary party, 60 or so guests, catered, DJ, bartender, huge tent in their back yard, should be a blast!

Gary, Aren't the Termite parts handforged by a giant from parts of a rusted out '72 Chevy Nova and old Olympia beer cans?

Squish. one was a four tree evaluation pursuant to a removal permit from the city (developer on adjacent property had undermined roots etc and the trees wont survive), the second was for a developer that was catchin heck from the city for not putting a fence around the group of trees he was supposed to protect ( I said kill them and replant as they were too damaged to prosper), the third was for a strata managment company that has a property with a pair of rows of lombardy poplars in a confined planting environment, they had 5 specific questions, I had 5 answers ;)

Cool Willie nice to see the 090!

Just got off the phone with my old highleading boss, good to talk to him again it's been quite awhile. He figures if I slow up at all he'd like to get me out to do some pre-rigging for him. I guess he's got a real solid crew but no one really likes to climb. Any of y'all highleaders know what that means.......No Lift! Nice to know that guys apreciate the time ya put in with them.

Ya solid crew but the owner has to do all of the 'real' climbing, I dunno about that! My old boss is one hardcore mofo old school all the way but tough as nails and gets er done without a doubt.

I had a customer try to 'help' me today, and it ended badly. Removing a small lead (4") from an Amalanchier (Serviceberry), I did my initial hinge cut. When the limb came down, customer ran up to hold up the branch for me while I completed the cut. It all happened so fast, I was like, "WTBBF?" (whatthebluebloodyfuck)
Her toe got smashed, her hubby was witness, & we were all embarrassed & flabbergasted.
After the hubbub, all I could think of to say was, "I usually charge extra if the customers help."
Lead zeppelin.

more like "oh, you want to help, sure, let me adjust the estimate..."
I personally hate it when customers email or call etc after I submit the estimate and say "when are you coming to do the work, I need to book the time off to be there"
yeah, ok, let me just adjust that price then wouldja?
my pat response is " you do not need to be on site when we do the work as long as we have a clear list of what to do etc"
usual response " oh but I like to be home when contractors are working"
sigh. okee dokee then.

Howdy campers, ive been working away lately and no putor..

Now this cpu has to go to the accountants (again) ill pop back in a week with all the pics, cheers and take care, Derek.

Back