How'd it go today?

Cool, ya got to love OJT:lol:

I need a plasma cutter, but one that will cut 1 1/4" steel, I think I am hosed!! (I want to borrow, not buy)

Cool, ya got to love OJT:lol:

I need a plasma cutter, but one that will cut 1 1/4" steel, I think I am hosed!! (I want to borrow, not buy)

Here's about the best I can offer, Andy. But what in the sam hill are you needing that much firepower?

http://www.red-d-arc.com/

I also had a chance to talk with some more of the managers this morning. I'm living in an odd area. I live way out here in the sticks, where we service, but no one really lives out here, except for one guy that covers the more Northern territory. Because of this, I'm being looked at for going to other schools aside from ATM and software/hardware classes. They are also looking at schools in the following areas: vaults, security systems, locksmithing, and closed circuit tv.

I tuned the guys mower in about 15 minutes then fixed one of my riders and preparing for a multiple removal in steinhatchee on monday.I'll be in spurs all day every day for at least a week!

I finished welding my dump trailer tongue this morning, then I wired the alternator on my loader tractor. And it works! Went and removed a fruitless pear. Finished in a hour and half stump and all. Took the guys to the local taco truck in Oakdale. Got steered into a Highway Patrol truck check on the way home. My heart was beating like a mother, it turns out all they were checking was for off-road diesel in the tank and to see if your motor smoked excessively. They did something in the tank ( I couldn't see ) and the cop asked me to floor my throttle for a second. Then he said thank you very much, you may go now.

Got things rolling again on the chipper clutch. -The pressure plate I pulled is being rebuilt and returned to me....tomorrow we hope. I did a walk through evaluation of the trees on an estate. Tendered my eval and a $20k bid. ground a bunch of roots for a sidewalk installation, made a dump run and am now kicking back before doing bids this evening.

You feeling better? 20k...you go guy!

Is that sort of sign legal?

Referring back to the sign I hung over the interstate on Sunday- FDOT just called my buddy Paul and said that the sign was over the fence line onto Gov't property and needed to be moved back. So now I need to drive to Ocala at my earliest convenience and move the sign back behind the property line and then it will be OK.

Oh, and I'm getting paid (again) for re-hanging the sign. ;)

quiet morning here, waiting for the restoration guys to come assess the damage, spent the night sleeping with earplugs in as there are two giant de-humidifiers and three big air movers (I used to call them fans, call me crazy) in our condo. Returned 7 or 8 messages from the last couple days, picked up two report jobs, one small one for a residential removal permit for 4 trees and one condo site assessment, no estimate requested, mngmnt company that I have worked for before said just go do it, here are the questions we want answered. :) cool. and 1 pruning estimate on the way home.
I am thinking I might need to pick up a clinometer and increment borer one of these days to be able to do more assessments and reports and such, anyone have any suggestions?

good good the Dropkick murphy CD is out today . I got it and kikcks ASS

Getting mine today Scott! didn't know you were a fan? although I do remember you have a MMBosstones sticker on yo truck.

I've seen DKM like 500 times, got the scars to prove it8) . some of those guys live in my neighborhood seen 'em out at the bars a few times, real good guys no rockstar mentality. See you in NH

Sweet, vl2007 !
Money gooooooooood !!!
I firmed-up a large job I'm starting on tomorrow. I could've started it today, but wanted to appear not-so-eager to my customer.
Do any of y'all ever do that ? >>> Where you try not to let your potential sale see you salivating for work, so you book them a week out ? LOL

The last time I did that, another tree service gave an estimate that day for three hundred dollars under mine. I go to do the job, and she tells me the tree guy just keeped going lower on the bid. He got busted illegally dumping debris about a week after that. I was questioning how he could do the job at that price and still make money. Now I know how.

All the dumps here in suwanee county take the limbs and wood up to like 10" diameter the rest becomes firewood for me.It's cool they don't even charge you to dump the limbs and such and theres five in the area.

I modified the way the belt guard attaches and washed our RG50 that we're selling.

Then I hauled 2 loads of rakings from a bigger job I'm finishing up tomorrow I hope. Then I pulled the head off the chipper, showered, dropped off the head and still made it to my bid at 4.

Spent about an hour at the gun shop, now I'm pulling into the school's parking lot.

I killed a big pecan using a Hi-Ranger, it was almost easy. I barely broke a sweat, and that's saying something! No cut and hold, I roped big pieces and spent most of my time watching the groundies keep up.

trimmed some boxwood hedges and other here and there stuff in a yard today for a regular client then got to kill a little cherry tree that was no longer wanted in the landscape.
Also, my helper is here from Germany for a visit and expressed interest in going to the US of A, so since we were working 8 streets up from the 'border' aka a ditch, I drove down there and he hopped across and back :D

I just walked in 10 minutes ago with food, I'm whipped. I had two huge laurel oak removals and both were overhanging powerlines. No biggie, but they were over 80' tall and my truck is only 55' high. I managed to figure it out and kept the ground crew sweatin'. At 11am I had one almost completely brushed out except for 3 small limbs over another power line on the far side and I was attacking the other one where I had more room to throw big pieces.

Boss man said the Bobcat guy was going to be there in 45 minutes so I threw it in overdrive. I had the second tree almost down by the time Ed got there and he had plenty of wood on the ground to get his first of 3 loads of wood. I had both on the ground by 2:30pm.

By that time the boss said he had just gotten an emergency call about a tree that had just fallen on a house. We grabbed a quick lunch and got to that job at 3 or 3:30. Waited 45 minutes for the insurance adjuster and the crane (it was a big tree, over 3' diameter). Rolled out of there at 6:45 with everything picked up except some final cleanup around back.

Had a bit of a scare when the crane guy let his cable swing into the power line. Sparks were flying and his tires were smoking. He jumped clear of the truck and grabbed a rope to hook the ball, pulled it away from the wire and then they were able to swing the boom back. He thought he blew 3 tires but they didn't blow (yet). He was able to drive off after the job. I hope he made it back to his shop ok.

Brian that sounds nuts!

I only worked four hours today. Fell two pines and three cottonwoods. Then took down three fir with my bucket, they were fun about 75' high so I got to take out some good sized tops :) . All the fir and pine were limbed and cut to firewood length, and the stinking cottonwoods were left were they lay. All and all a pretty damn good day. I'm back tomorrow to kill some more trees (bug kill) so I'll try to grab a couple of pics.

Over a grand sweet Brian!

Last edited:
For Brian as a hired gun? I'm guessing more days than not. A $1000 plus in a day is good coin for a one man show, shoot that's what I aim for with myself and one other guy with my bucket and chipper. And often times I still come up short. $750 is what I aim for by myself.

Congrats on the good day Brian.:thumbup:

Back