How'd it go today?

Had picture day at soccer today for both boys plus their games. Kat had to work and Rob wanted to get started splitting that black oak we took down for the customer. The tree I had to finish from being rained out is also there and it is close to home. So I met him over there about mid day and rigged down the last leader. Bill that sucka! Late lunch for the kids.. figuring out dinner and I am whooped. Get the kids fed tonight and then go pick up Kat before they go to bed. I just want to take a nap :lol:

Brought a cord of wood in and stacked it in the garage for winter. After dinner it's time to pack for another trip to Illinois.

I still have 2 1/2 cord for the Bon fire and another 2 cord to pick up and rotate in for next years bonfire. 2 Cord of cedar I will be splitting and dropping to a client that bought it. 1 cord of pine out back I need to split for a client. almost 2 cord in the pine I just dropped out back and move forward. Then finish 3 more cord split and stacked at the client with the black oak.
I think I still have 4 cord up front of which 2 is split for us.
I think by Christmas... I may be about DONE with firewood... mentally of course. :lol:

I had a good day, my arm is working again.

I took down two crappy pines on thursday beside a really steep driveway, had wisteria and some other vine all through them. My arm was a bit stiff when I was going to bed and I just put it down to using the pole saw and pulling the vine out to get at them.

Woke up about 2am, PAIN.:\: Scared the **** out of me, I couldn't move my arm. Tried to straighten it, no way! After I realised I was going to live I started going over what I could have done. Then I remembered I slipped and banged my elbow, [right between the joint on the inside] on the chipper chute. Didn't hurt much, I hardly noticed it.

Got it sort of working so I could unload by midday, but still couldn't straighten it out till saturday afternoon.

Cleaned the yard up a bit, worked on a couple of saws. Mullberrys are out again, ate a few. Had to clear a track through to my firewood to stack some. Sure are heavy this year.8)

I went to that GTG .It was nice and boy did I get my eyes opened .

Poulan was never a player in this area except for small saws sold by Sears and Roebuck or rebadged under the names of Dayton for example .Yesterday I saw some pretty darned good runners in the pro grade of saws . From what I saw those upwards of 80 cc will hang with about anything .I can't help but wonder why in the day they never made the grade with others ??

Further more there were a couple of s-25's that out gunned my 200 much to my amazement .You just never know .:?

Al, the S25 was always a very strong saw. They were just too heavy and they didn't hold up very well, especially with their horribly designed air filter setup.

Ha,yeah the filter was just a sponge .:lol:

Those couple of s-25 most likely had been "enhanced " a tad bit I would well imagine .;)

I had often wondered what would happen if a person were to soup them a tad ,now I know .:D

Northern tool called me and said they can't get the splitter off the truck, and also it was not equipped with the log lifter (pictured in specs page and requested in note upon order). I told them no deal, they can keep it. Getting a quote from Timberwolf distributor Monday am.

Drove 3 hrs across the State to pick with some old band members and watch a show by our old band leader with his new guys. Had a great time, saw a lot of old friends and got to hear two really good banjo players pick my new banjo while I played Bass. Played on stage for a set. It was nice to get out of the house and away from schoolwork for a bit.

On that splitter if you check into the larger tonnage units sold by TSC under the Huskey brand name ,they do pretty good .I have used several with no problems what so ever .

They tip and have ball bearing wheels so they can be transported .They aren't the larger wheels used by TW but they will work unless you wanted to tow the thing a couple hundred miles at 80 MPH .I'm thinking they are in the $18-1900 dollar price range

Dave, always wondered how pay goes with bands? Does the leader get more than the other guys, or do they tend to split it up evenly, say the wages from gigs? When a new guy enters a band, do they usually get less. Just wondered how it works at a professional level?

There are a couple different bands models to choose from. One is the "we all start together, stick together, and get paid equally" model and the other would be started by one or two people and then have a group of people that they've put together for some salary. Studio musicians, so to speak.

I think I recall reading that when Ronny Wood joined the Rolling Stones, it took some time before he was a proper full member of the band, so to speak. I guess that means he was on a salary to begin with, as you describe. Probably not a bad salary.

For the average band, it's an even split. I've paid a lot of bands at the end of the gigs. It's a lotta hard work, playing in a working band. I wouldn't wanna do it.

It seems like one of those things where you have to work, just so you can get to work. it would take commitment. I guess it is no wonder that a lot of bands, even successful ones, have a hard time staying together.

I decided to go clean up my mess and get a delivery of pine together to drop off on the way to start hauling out that cedar over in the basin tomorrow. Had a bunch laying around from cleaning up dead pines last spring. Needed addressing. Fell this dead one the other day when we got rained out. Used some of it and set aside some more of the tops for poles on the bon fire....

Attachments

• P1010528.jpg
    P1010528.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 47
  • P1010530.jpg
    P1010530.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 47
  • P1010527.jpg
    P1010527.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 46
  • P1010529.jpg
    P1010529.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 47
During the 12 years I ran my own business in the 70's-80's, the Poulan 25 was my climbing saw. As to how they held up I had 2 in that 12 year period. First was rebranded as an Allis-Chalmers, it was retired after a wreck rolled my tandom axle crain/bucket truck over it. Second I sold many years after I got out of that business myself. Now they seem heavy and vibrate a lot, I have one old Craftsman branded model. It originally came with the auto sharp chain, but that was replaced. I paid $10 for it since it would not start. Took off the side panel and unpinched the fuel line and it runs like new.
A friend I traded work with had Homelite XL-2. He went through 3 in one summer while we worked together, got a Poulan 25 and used it for 3 years before he replaced it. Tough little saws.

Old saws never go away....riday morning, woke up at 3:30, let at 4:00am to Mono Lake. Got there 5 hours and 30 minutes later at 9:30am. Job unseen minimal tools at the motel we stayed at, she comped our rooms. We then reduced a 50 oot sibderian elm down to about 15 eet, terrible seam ractures, multi stem, all over the neighbors motel. We inished in our hours. Easy peasy, it was either that or removal. She opted or the make sae, it had already lost major leads. Then the next day on saturday it was 8 hours o cutting dead tops out o a ailing grove o Cottonwoods. Out o 10 trees, we had one major ubar, no biggie the owner said. We let ater 4pm and got home to San rancisco by 9:30pm. My kid kicked soda on my laptop, so no "Ph" button or Return button anymore, anyone know how to clean under the keys?

I don't mind driving to a job, it's the return trip that can wreck me, especially when having to stare at a lot of red lights.

We made out phat. to say the least, plus i know many locals up there, been going up there phor almost ten years now. Just started scheduling two day work stints up there the last couple years. The client showed me a "trim" hat racked siberian elm across the way that was hat racked but came back pretty good, and she told me it was $3000 dollars, who knows i that's true, but, whatever. There is only one tree company in that portion oph the east side. Crazy, highway robbery.

Back