How'd it go today?

Yar. Oh and I dropped my iphone about a week ago. I'm 6 weeks between contract re-ups, so I'm limping along with the wie's old blackberry. But lie is still awesome, The boy started standing up on his own today by himsel.

Here's a few pics from today of my last load of the town's DED elms stump chips and a few blocks the loader missed. 41 hours it took for those 31 trees and stumps.

The last photo is a big poplar with a 7 foot stump and 3 phase primaries on both sides of it that I have to get down for the town. I'm waiting for the last of the leaves to shed before I tie into that big boy.
My little 252 grinder will have its work cut out for it on that big stump.:D

Attachments

• SDC10682.JPG
    SDC10682.JPG
    252.1 KB · Views: 34
  • SDC10683.JPG
    SDC10683.JPG
    342.3 KB · Views: 34
  • SDC10684.JPG
    SDC10684.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 34
  • SDC12220.jpg
    SDC12220.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 34
Not much of a debate...I denied it exists in my part of the world and won't let him say it is the case, period, without being questioned; Willard stands by his view that it exists in a huge band across the flatish part of the northern forested belt of the planet.

I think we both are right :).

Have the same SE lean in many cases in the Dakotas. I think it more pronounced as you get further up on the prairie. On the road south of Brandon there is a grove of trees that have a very pronounced lean. I think they are the only wind resistance for 5 miles. The 25 to 35 mph breezes, with occasional gust to 55, that we had the past few days does have an effect I am sure.
Your just south of the Manitoba border Underwor. So it's good you can see the SE common lean too.
I was talking to a few timber fallers from the PNW named Burvol and Smokechase II on the AS site a few years ago and they claimed they were seeing SSE for their common lean.

Yar...[snip] ... But li(f)e is still awesome, The boy started standing up on his own today by himsel.

And that is great news; now he'll be able to reach even more sensitive electronic devices :lol:

Wasn't that long ago the granddaughter was first standing up and now she walks the mile downtown alongside me ...and usually is asleep in the backpack for the walk back home.

I know it has been said before Willard.. That sure is a great set up for a small tree service :thumbup:
I am sure you never tire of hearing it though ;)
Hey thanks Stephen, no I never tire of it, I get a bigger kick posting pics on here for all to see though. Some days I wish I had a good hired man, but then I think of all the hassles.......nah I'll stay a one man show. There is lots of benifits working alone.

here's some pictures oph our weekend. iph you zoom way in, you'll see a grove oph cottonwoods, those are them. That white phir is probably 70' tall.

Attachments

• IMG_2123_1024x768.jpg
    IMG_2123_1024x768.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 49
..nah I'll stay a one man show. There is lots of benifits working alone.
Lots a truth in that .You got nobody to argue with .Only thing worse than that is woman trying to run herd over you .I personally can do fine without somebody male or female who doesn't know chit from shinola trying to mico manage me --mumble grumble ---:X

The crane guy really pissed me off today. I thought that we were on for a three day day job starting tomorrow, but I never got the call, so late afternoon I rang him up to see what the deal is. He starts giving me some bs about thinking I was working with another crew, then on to saying the budget for the job is tight, and.....

I found the job and took him up there to meet the people and give an estimate, make it his job. The people decided it was too high, so I figured it wasn't happening, then they called me up a few weeks later and ask what the estimate was again? I didn't know, so I rang the operator up to find out and passed it along. Never heard from them again, then on another job the operator informs me that through another person's recommendation he did get the job. I figure I don't even need to ask if I'm getting hired too. Turns out he made other plans, hired someone from down south to save himself a few bucks.... After I start giving him some sh@t, he also tells me that since he didn't get the go ahead to begin with from my initial contact with the customer, he didn't think it had me connected anymore. Wtf? So, he's changed his reasoning two times in two minutes, all telling me in reality that he wants to pinch pennies for himself. I know that he's not unhappy with my work. I explain to him that i went to some effort to land the job for him....and myself, a number of conversations with the people, making some calls, even drove his azz up there the first time to meet with the folks. Isn't that part of the whole deal, whether it directly led to the job or not? I ask him what is more important, some budget or the people he's work tight with and isn't there some indebtedness here that has been missed? I do a lot for the guy, work on his saws, order gear he wants from the states, etc. He shouldn't have to think very hard to know what I'm talking about. I tell him that for the life of me, I can't understand his thinking on this deal, and it's fine with me if he wants to consider the relationship over if he doesn't like my take on it. He fumbles for words and starts making apologies, and asking me what we should do about it, like now he's trying to fit me in. I tell him that it's too late to make changes now. He says that he could use my help the next day, I tell him that I have made other plans already, something brief that I would have cancelled, but I don't feel like doing that now. I repeat myself about the situation being incredulous to me, and that I'm bummed. Says he's sorry I'm feeling that way. We end the conversation, and he says he'll be calling me. :roll: I hope I made my point to him, I'm not really sure.

I go home and tell my wife, we were already looking at the money from the job, could really use it.

Thanks for letting me blow off steam. I guess sometimes you really don't know who your friends are or who you can depend on. :( I don't really care if he calls me again. I consider myself there for my friends and work mates, am generous with my time if they need it, but when someone does me dirt, i go off them pretty quick. The problem is that this guy is my main source of tree work these day, has been for the last five or six years. :|: Oh well, got to do what you've got to do, right?

My experience with a partner or employee is they will let you down when you need them most. But then if I'm calling the shots I make the bigger share which makes the other guy jealous or feeling that I'm getting rich.
When logging on a 2 man cut and skid team my partner and I were paid equal for our teamwork, god I miss those glorious days.

I'm happy to see people make more money if they have assumed a greater responsibility, as would have been in this case. My objective in first recommending him, plus my work included. I just ask...or expect, to be treated square. Being self employed basically my whole life, getting pushed around in a way I consider unfair, soon raises my hackles. Treat me good, I'll go the extra mile every time.

Right, Willie. He's been a bit tight with the funds before, but our first real conflict in a long time of work association. I said my piece, it's up to him.

Damn Jay, that sux big time man.

Got a good majority of that huge Sycamore knocked out today. Felt good to finally conquer some parts of that tree. Today was Day 3 on it, tomorrow will be our final day on it. Just have the center lead left, and a branch down low to get, then the final pick up.

One little trick I used today to help get over the fear was take an iPOD up with me and listen to it while I was working. Didn't have the earbuds in, just kinda hung off my helmet, so I could still hear everything, but got to listen to music also, which helped take my mind off the tree somewhat and ease my fear. Definitely not something to do every day, but it has its places.

killed a river birch and an austrian pine today, ground out stumps and back filled w/ dirt (not typical on dirt). made the bid and home by 5. How sweet is that?!

Back