How'd it go today?

Willard, if I need a lane closure permit for the parks and rec or public works, I have to pay the engineering department for the permit:dur:

Rain all day, and stormy.
Not the kind of weather that any sane person would go logging in, but we are running late on a log delivery for next week.
We could only fall trees with the wind, and it was a case of borecut them with a backstrap or die.

All went well, but did we ever get soaked.

Looks like it'll be sunny tomorrow, be nice to get that order filled.

Still raining on and off here as well Stig. We need to go pick up and deliver that cedar and I doubt we will be able to even get to it we have had so much water in two nights. Be leaving here soon to go try though. Going to take the come-a-longs and enough rope to help pull us out in case.

Wellllllll... I called up where the cedar was at and no answer from the neighbors. traditionally, if it is even sprinkling rain here, it is steady or pouring rain there.High mountain face with a basin below. Opted to go hit a job I have scheduled for Monday and real close to home. We got 2/3 of the tree down. Pouring rain on the first third as soon as I had worked my way out to the tips. :roll: One of those real sucky leaning, moss covered, wet oaks we so love to climb anyway right over a structure.
Set the rigging and took the tops and then the wood working two leaders at a time. Started pouring rain again and I called it. Maybe an hour left on the tree. I'll handle it over the weekend after soccer or something.
Nasty weather!

Today was an epic day. For the 1st time this season, I cleared all the estimates off of my list!

WOW! Feel like you need a day of rest now I would imagine :)

And of course the rain cleared up here finally. It snowed where we were supposed to be yesterday.
And of course I could have gone back and finished that oak from this morning. But Kat had to go to school and I ain't hauling 3 kids out to a tree job :P

Installed my first triangular Cobra system in a cherry. Kind cool to do something new, even though its just 3 "normal" Cobra systems.

Did some work for a realtor with a rental house next door. Turns out he works for my neighbor who owns the realty business.

Thought we'd have rain today, but got lucky.

Cancelled a bid. I'm only taking new customers close to home (5 miles or so). Too busy.

The morning tulip/crane removal went well. Hauled out the brake and wrapped fascia and rehung gutters for a friend this afternoon. On way home stopped by the parents' place.
Two young fellows were taking down a mature pin oak across the street. Guy on the ground had a 3/4" All Gear rope trunk wrapped three times, and fellow in the tree had it tied off just 1/3rd of the way up the 55 foot long leader. :roll:

I asked if they planned to take a few smaller pieces off the end first, as it overhung a primary with twenty feet of clearance... plenty, unless you tried to swing the whole thing down.
"Oh, sure" was the reply.

Sure enough, by the time I drove home my parents called on their cell phone and most of the neighborhood was without power.
I drove back over and there were three city electric bucket truck crews and the cop shop investigative team on site.
The kids said they used to work for Knight Tree Service in Delaware and Scoggs in Pennsylvania. No one got fried, so it was a learning experience.

They did have insurance, and the 'climber' was nervously pacing and asked me if the city was going to make a big issue about it.
I said, "Well you see those nine guys working and those three trucks? Those are my City Tax dollars at work, and they like to get paid".

I gave him my card and said I would gladly speak to them when they weren't too busy about rigging and EHAP and safe practices, and how to get the proper training they'd need to live a few years longer..
At least they had some familiarity with getting into a tree, insurance, and some PPE.

Wow, sounds like they got off lucky with no injuries or worse.

Whacked a nice big sycamore today. It had been hacked to hell about 3 years ago by someone so I didn't feel bad about removing it. It was a magnificent tree before it had been brutalized.

I've got a nice section of trunk about 6' of clear at about 28" diameter.

Waiting for a call about a tree job on Monday. I stuck a carb from a 354xp into my modded 342xp, it always seemed like it was a little hurting for gas since working the mod, and trying something has always been on my mind. It took some time to get the linkage thing worked out, the choke on the opposite of the carb on the 354 one, had to switch it around and file off the butterfly plate stops in the carb barrel, change the throttle parts over from the original carb too, to get the choke and throttle catch working. Seems to spool up better now and easier starting. I put a tach on it and the sweet spot high end seems to be at 16000 rpms. :O Toned it down somewhat, and looking forward to getting it into some wood soon. Hopefully added torque will justify the efforts.

Anybody here still running a 242xp? I recall Deva fondly remembering the one he used. A great azz kicker saw for only 42ccs imo, especially modded....an oldie but goodie, and one of the highest stock reving saws ever produced.

Seems to spool up better now and easier starting. I put a tach on it and the sweet spot high end seems to be at 16000 rpms. :O Toned it down somewhat,
16,000:O I have two of them,saws that crank over 15 thou,both souped .A 200T and a Mac 6-10 which is 70 cc's both souped They almost sound super sonic when they get wound out .:lol:

16000 may not seem so high, Al, the saw comes stock rated at 15-5. It is definitely getting more gas with the larger series Walbro on there, the high speed adjustment when dialed in is only a quarter turn open. 3/4 to one turn with the original carb.

What do you do with a sycamore ? We have them but I've never heard of using them for any kind of lumber .

I don't know either? I was hoping somebody might pipe in and say something. They're not common around here so I fingered to salvage a chunk.

Someone fill me in on the wood, garbage or useful for anything?

I've built some furniture out of it. Kind of strange hardness, the surface a bit soft and fairly easily scratched, but the material as a whole has density to it. As mentioned about stability, if you just slab it up without quartering, it tends to warp badly. The English liked to use it for details in furniture. Some beautiful work has been done with it.

You need to quareter cut it to bring out the figure.
The British trade name for quartercut sycamore is lacewood, because of the figuring.
Absolutely beautiful stuff.

Day 1 of a huge ass, scary Sycamore today. First time in 3 or 4 years I think I've had to come down from the tree because I felt it was too dicey. Main problem was my TIP was dead, and it freaks me out to tie into anything dead, especially my main TIP. It was redirected over a large live limb, but if my TIP failed I was gonna take a 4 slide down the live limb into a main croth and have 5"+ dead wood falling down on me. I was breaking smaller 1" and smaller stuff out with throwline, but it really freaked me out when I got up there and cut a 6" limb out. Put an undercut about an inch in, made my top cut, got maybe 1/2" in and it just broke off. After that I worked on a long limb some more, hoping to feel better, but still had that bad gut feeling.

Dad and I argued about it for a few, and needless to say, when I came down and he went up, he shut up really quick.

Day 1 of a huge ass, scary Sycamore today. First time in 3 or 4 years I think I've had to come down from the tree because I felt it was too dicey. Main problem was my TIP was dead, and it freaks me out to tie into anything dead, especially my main TIP. It was redirected over a large live limb, but if my TIP failed I was gonna take a 4 slide down the live limb into a main croth and have 5"+ dead wood falling down on me. I was breaking smaller 1" and smaller stuff out with throwline, but it really freaked me out when I got up there and cut a 6" limb out. Put an undercut about an inch in, made my top cut, got maybe 1/2" in and it just broke off. After that I worked on a long limb some more, hoping to feel better, but still had that bad gut feeling.

Dad and I argued about it for a few, and needless to say, when I came down and he went up, he shut up really quick.

Way to follow your gut. My dad and I have had some words before like that as well on some pretty bad trees. But he listens to me now since he doesn't climb anymore. If you have a bad feeling about a tree there is usually a reason why.

Back