Good Beers

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Well as I been getting older I have been trying foods I have never ate before and now I'm into trying the different beers.
I'm not drinking for quantity anymore, just a good quality tasting beer to set down and enjoy with friends and enjoy a good buzz while shooting pool etc. Heck we were having a few good cold ones the other night setting up 3 saws for firewood cutting.

So far Samuel Adams Oktoberfest as been my favorite, but cant get it in the stores now. Tried some Dortmunder Gold from Ohio gold medal winner and it was OK.

Any other suggestions to try? Seems everyone in their brother is putting them out there now days. So help me wade through the bs beers to get to some good ones. :D

I know you mentioned Dortmunder from Great Lakes Brewing Company. It was a decent beer. The big question is what do you want in a beer? What I might like, for example, OTGBoston might not(Pabst, Sam Adams, and Guinness Excluded) :P. The season and temperature and my mood can dictate what I want.

Some things to consider: Type of beer, Bitterness/Sweetness, thick and creamy or light, dark or light, foreign or domestic, macro or microbrew, fruity/spicy flavors, malts and grains and the flavors that they impart, fermentation methods, etc...

Fruity: I love Abita's Purple Haze from down Butch's Way, or SweetWater Blue(Blueberry) from down towards Atlanta, Leinenkugels offers a variety of fruity and/or wheat beers year round
Anytime ($5 extra to spare) Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Red Hook Long Hammer IPA, Sam Adams Boston Lager, Hefewiezens. I did try GLBC's Commodore Perry. It was good, and fairly bitter, I kind of miss it.
Cheap: Pabst, Natural, High Life, or Carling's Black Label
Winter/Fall Time: Guinness, Beers with spice notes
Spring Summer: Lighter beers/ beers with fruity notes(hefe's, lambics)

bottle-black-butte-porter.gif
black-butte-porter-pint.gif

new-belgium-1554.gif

I really like Boulevard's Bob's 47 Oktoberfest, but it's hard to find and seasonal as hell! GREAT winter beer IMO. Heavy, but not bloating and just a little bitterness. But it's expensive.
Corona on a hot summer day, it doesn't get much better! Guinness now and again, Honey Brown, Amberbock, and a Pale Ale now and again!
Some of the larger liquor stores around here have days or specials you can go in a build a six or twelve pack. Boulevard makes twelve packs that are all mixed up so you can sample different things.
Might be something to look into.

I liked Sierra Nevada Pale Ale so much I had to quit all together 5 years ago!!! Black Butte Porter was also a favorite.

One of my favorites that my buddy had brought back from Oregon is made by Kona Brewing in Hawaii and I cant find here. It's called Pipeline Porter and is made with Kona Coffee, man it was delish. I really wanna try that Special Brew too.... I keep hearing about it.

I'm gonna raise some eyebrows here but from my travels my favorite beer is Stella from Egypt, 2nd- Stella Artois from Belgium, 3rd- Lowenbrau Original from Munich, Germany, 4th- Kilkenny Irish cream ale, 5th- Old Speckled Hen from England and my last is from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada, Fort Garry Pale Ale.
Samuel Adams from Boston has several good ones too tied with my last choice.

Man I'm getting thirsty! But gotta go to work. Will have one later.

Willard.:beer:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I used to drink beers from all over the world too. But I cant remember no names but one Efes from Turkey. I mainly drink to get hammered back then.

I know I dont like the bitter tasting beers with a bite.

I'll be searching for some mentioned here Thurs-Sun Thanks for ideas guys it will help me wade through all the bs.

Willard I used to drink Lowenbrau 30 years ago, does miller brewing (who I think was involved in it getting here to the states) even still get that stuff here anymore?

I need to find a proper pub that has it on tap. One of my friends here locally found some in cans, and while the flavor was good, it was almost flat with little to no carbonation.
Yes tap is the best, too bad speckled hen don't try a CO2 wedget like what the Guiness / Kilkenny Irish beers have in their cans.

Willard

Willard I used to drink Lowenbrau 30 years ago, does miller brewing (who I think was involved in it getting here to the states) even still get that stuff here anymore?
Kevin the blue color Lowenbrau 500ml can I have in front of me has all German wording on it except "serve cold".It doesn't look like its canned by Miller.
My wife and I were at Oktoberfest in Munich in 2002. I remember being in the big [I mean real big] blue Lowenbrau tent but there was many other excellent beer companies there too. The weekend before we arrived at Munich we spent a night at Volksfest in Stuttgart which is about half the size of Oktoberfest. We had a really good time, we shared a table with a young German roofing crew who just got paid. Man talk about tying one on. Every half hour the ump up band would play and sing a perfect John Denver's "thank god I'm a country boy!"
ee-hah !

Willard.

Back