Fishing 2016

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Awesome scenery. Cory I can tell you from my trip to Wyoming last year, the oxygen content at 10,000 feet is zero ppm, no way a fish can survive up there;)

Those fished were stocked by helicopter in the seventies. Not native that high. They do not do it anymore.

Is that first pick in Darwin Canyon. Near the evolution basin?

Speechless!

Are there fish up that high?

Yes, they were jumping all day long and I was hooking em up!!

Some of the lakes dont have fish because they are shallow and completely freeze solid....

Awesome scenery. Cory I can tell you from my trip to Wyoming last year, the oxygen content at 10,000 feet is zero ppm, no way a fish can survive up there;)

you will find fish up to 11,200 elevation here in some lakes like the "Golden trout wilderness"

Those fished were stocked by helicopter in the seventies. Not native that high. They do not do it anymore.

Is that first pick in Darwin Canyon. Near the evolution basin?

Bivy ,its near Tioga pass at Saddlbag lakes.

Your right they dont stock a lot of them back country lakes anymore, just local ones that are easy access

Yes, they were jumping all day long and I was hooking em up!!

Some of the lakes dont have fish because they are shallow and completely freeze solid....

WTH??!!

Beautiful Convict Lake!

I didnt fish here, just checking it out.

read the story how it got its name below on 2nd pic ;)

235.jpg

120.jpg

This lake was over 10k and I caught a bunch of brookies in morning on black ant fly's

My fav lake so far, only a mile and half hike in

135.jpg

271.jpg

What a neat place Scott. What kind of a hike is it to reach those lakes and how hard are the trout to catch there? From their behavior, I doubt the brookies I caught in Wyoming had ever seen a human or a fish hook.

Very nice! Is it cool at that elevation?

Jay its been a heat wave here last week so it was really warm at that high altitude...shorts and t-shirt's till about 9pm then it started to cool off.

When I was there Last year in first week of May it was very cool weather, long sleeves all day, cold nights.

What a neat place Scott. What kind of a hike is it to reach those lakes and how hard are the trout to catch there? From their behavior, I doubt the brookies I caught in Wyoming had ever seen a human or a fish hook.

Fish are hungry all day long since they have a short summer to feed at the high elevation.

Hiking is not to bad at 10k but its good to "acclimate" before going on a long hike.

Bivy ,its near Tioga pass at Saddlbag lakes.

Your right they dont stock a lot of them back country lakes anymore, just local ones that are easy access

Near where my daughter is named after ....Ellery lake. I hike around saddlebag to climb Mt conness. Awesome area. Can't wait to go back

Trying out the new fly rod and reel on the middle fork river...loved it!!!

023.jpg

German Brown
015.jpg

Rainbow
018.jpg

My water proof dry pack for navigating the rivers, works nicely ;)
029.jpg

one of my fishing buddies eating black berries..lol 008.jpg

black berries all along the banks of the rivers...great snack
012.jpg

Nice looking rig Scott, I see it's a Fenwick rod, reel too? What weight line do you use on those beautiful trout? Love the blackberries too, ours have been gone for about a month.

@ BOTS

I'm not into fishing, but...

Is that small fish the norm?

It seems like that should be thrown back and allowed to grow bigger.

Or is that as big as they get?

Nice looking rig Scott, I see it's a Fenwick rod, reel too? What weight line do you use on those beautiful trout? Love the blackberries too, ours have been gone for about a month.

Sage reel 3250.... I use 4X (6lbs) tappered leader and tippet, 5X was breaking a bit to much for me

I'm not into fishing, but...

Is that small fish the norm?

It seems like that should be thrown back and allowed to grow bigger.

Or is that as big as they get?

Boss, 10" to 13" a normal size for most of the rivers here....some as big as 18" to 20" at times but there to smart to take the hook ;)

I let all the small ones go back in

Back