Fishing 2014

Steelhead are a blast, this was probably the biggest winter fish we got this year. Our wives were complaining Russ didn't smile so we took another pic:D

uploadfromtaptalk1404591590280.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1404591604104.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Southern flounder Willie. White flaky meat, mighty good any way you fix it. I normally use live bait for flounder, cast net fingerling mullet, bull minnows or pilchards and fish them slow on the bottom. If he's there, he'll bite.

I figured they were different as we had dover in Alaska. Delicious. Rex sole was my favorite

We had those fish raw, deep fried and broiled. All wonderful. Jay, you were right, the redfish was very good raw, the flounder a little tough. It's funny, the flounder is very tender and flaky when cooked. Everyone in the family is now eating the raw fish and liking it.

I want to take my boy fishing, problem is I haven't been in 30 years and I was never any good at it. We have several cheap fishing poles and I can get worms down at the store nut... I wonder if there is some sort of mentoring group I can join.

Get some new 6 pound line on your reel and a bobber and small hooks. That's all a kid needs to have a blast and catch fish.

Ray, glad you liked the raw Redfish. Interesting about the flounder. I have never heard of flounders/flatfish being eaten raw.

Do you ever catch Crevalle Jacks? I can't find much about the taste of them on the web, but they seem similar to a fish we have here that is commonly known as Yellowtail. A little on the oilier side, but a wonderful fish for raw. I wonder how the Crevalle Jack might compare? Is that normally considered a good eating fish?

The wife and I were gonna head out for some Dungeness Crab, but she got called in to work. So I made some calls to get someone else on the boat, and my Bro-in-law and his son were the only 2 cats that had the day free. So we headed out for a great day of crabbing in the North Puget Sound.

Here is Rob, with our biggest crab... 8" across the back!

2v10x85.jpg

And my nephew Adam with another good sized crab... :)

2ymda1l.jpg

Great day!

Gary

Jay we catch plenty of jack crevalles, I caught one the other day along with the redfish and released it. They are not normally considered a good food fish but I know of some who smoke them. Most likely the yellowtails you have are the same or similar to the fish caught off the California coast. If so, they look very similar to our amberjack, which are very plentiful offshore. Many people love amberjacks, I never have targeted them but will have to let the next one go for a swim in some soy/wasabi!

Beautiful crabs Gary (if crabs can be called that), much bigger than our blues. I guess you trap them? I saw the buoys in the background.

Do we have/eat cockles over here? It's a Brit thing...

Butch... we have Cockles right here in WA State. They are in the same clam beds as Littlenecks, Manilas, and Easterns. I think they taste like crap... so I pass on them.

Beautiful crabs Gary (if crabs can be called that), much bigger than our blues. I guess you trap them? I saw the buoys in the background.

Yessir on the pots. We set 3 pots, and then used 3 ring traps back at the pier. We just ran back and forth all day every couple of hours. :)

Gary

Ray, I think that you are right about the Yellowtail, being like the one off the west coast. A great eating fish, imo.

Lots like a great time, Gary.

Yesterday I treated my visiting Australian in laws to a full 10 hour guided fishing trip on one of the best fishing lakes in North America. Right next door at Cormorant Lake Lodge, Manitoba.

For the 4 of us $300 plus tips paid for a guide , boat, fuel, shore lunch of fresh fish caught by our guides , full day of fishing and our guide fileted all our fish and packaged it for us at the end of the day.

Even young 11 yr old Flynn caught his limit of walleye and northern pike. I caught my limit plus a 30" northern. Last pic shows the guide from the neighboring boat from the lodge throwing back a oversize walleye. My phone camera just wasn't quick enough to catch the fish before it hit the water.

http://www.cormorantlodge.com/fishing.html

http://www.cormorantlodge.com/hunting.html

Attachments

• 20140708_115028.jpg
    20140708_115028.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20140708_131802 (1024x768).jpg
    20140708_131802 (1024x768).jpg
    731.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20140708_164247.jpg
    20140708_164247.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 48