Fishing 2014

Bonita may not be so good for raw, unless you are the type of person that likes a very oily fish. Aren't they oily? People do eat Mackeral raw, which is very oily. I like a bit of it. Tuna is considered the best fish raw, big eyed tuna in particular, or Giant. Maybe all Tuna? I had some that a fisherman sent me, caught mid Pacific. Big eye, caught somewhere near the Johnston atoll, where the US used to test atomic bombs. When I received it frozen by the food transport, my plan was to share it with friends, but I ended up keeping it all for myself. :lol: It was unbelievable. He said that he would be sending me some good stuff. I don't know much about fish, but there is a certain much smaller part within a fish that is more oily, and has the most delicate taste, I think near the spine. You can order that part at a sushi place, but they charge for it over other parts. Yellowtail is a favorite of mine, it is slightly oily and very good, has a distinct taste. Your Red Snapper is also good, but a very mild tasting fish. I wish I knew the names of the good raw eating fish, but there are many. Dipping in a little soy sauce with a little Wasabi (horseraddish) in it, is how it is generally eaten. I would guess that more fish can be eaten raw than can't. Don't ever eat a blow fish not done up by a skilled person, or you are dead! They serve it here, but a special license is required. Salmon is also excellent.

Id have stuck my fillet knife in that flounder so fast your eyes wouldnt be able to focus on it. That bugger would have been stuffed with the meat from those crabs. Right to the boiler, toot sweet!

I din't mean to put a question mark about flounder, I know it's good. I shot a big one once when skin diving, it was just laying down there in the sand like a barn door. Hell of a fish, and quite a thrill.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bonita are bloody and oily, they make the very best shark bait. We catch a lot of mackerel, spanish and king. There are yellowfin and blackfin tuna in our waters but they are very far offshore here and I rarely venture there. Cobia are fairly plentiful and I believe they would be a prime candidate as well, very firm fleshed. You have perked my curiosity Jay and it sounds like the options are nearly limitless. I still have one snapper fillet left from Saturday, I will try it tomorrow.

You're right Tuck, stuffed flounder is awesome, my Mother-in-law makes one that will make you hurt yourself. Most folks here gig the flounder at night with a light Jay but I would rather catch them on a hook. We also shoot quite a few while snorkeling for scallops, you're right, it's a blast.

When you cut raw fish into eating size chunks, they generally cut like eighty degree to the length of the fillet, I mean perpendicular to it. It might be because you get the most ideal sized pieces that way, or something to do with the texture. I think to some extent the latter.

Well, I tried the raw snapper and I must say it was quite good. In fact I ate two batches of it but had a little too much wasabi on the last few pieces. Dipped in soy and wasabi like Jay said.

:thumbup: Nothing like the freshness of just caught for the best taste when eating raw. Quick frozen isn't bad either. Glad you tried it, Ray.

Very lightly grilled but still raw in the middle is another way that raw is consumed. Tuna especially.

I have never heard of any cautionary regarding eating raw, except for Salmon. Perhaps because they move up into fresh water, but I don't know. i still eat it. Delicious.

Jay, I will never look at raw fish the same again. Heck, just take a little soy and wasabi on the boat and you have instant lunch (as long as you catch fish). Pretty cool. My wife couldn't believe I ate it but now she wants to try it. You were right about cutting the fillet across the grain, they melt in your mouth that way, super tender. One chunk that I cut with the grain was a little chewy. Thanks Jay, you have broadened my horizon!

That's cool, Ray. Can you get fresh fish, MB? Tuna might be the best place to start. There is definitely some knowledge required to know which parts of the fish are better than others, both regarding texture and taste. Fisherman here, often you see them eating some of their catch on the boat.

a9e7usa8.jpg
7abybesy.jpg

15 pound Springer I got last week. Summer steelhead are showing up early as well, shouldn't be long

Back