Fishing 2014

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My partner and his son went offshore without me and caught a boatload of big snapper and grouper like these two. I was invited but couldn't go and I'm really jealous. Some of the biggest red snapper I've ever seen.

IMG_20140608_183036877.jpg

Got a chance to go fishing for a couple of hours yesterday and had a really good time. A big jewfish ate one of the flounder I had hooked. It's like being hooked to a volkswagon and the VW wins every time.
image-10.jpg image-9.jpg

They are one of my favorite fish too Tuck, any way you fix them they are awesome. They are also super fun to catch!

:lol:
Got a chance to go fishing for a couple of hours yesterday and had a really good time. A big jewfish ate one of the flounder I had hooked. It's like being hooked to a volkswagon and the VW wins every time.
View attachment 55832View attachment 55831

Super catch! Man, you must have some great spots! Would you agree they should lift the ban on catching Jewfish? My son-in-law saw one while snorkling around the 7 mile bridge that went at least 300 pounds. At first he thought it was part of the bridge structure, until it moved :lol:

Oh yes V, there are Jewfish on every piece of structure here and as you know, they are eating machines, there's no telling how many grouper and snapper those giants devour. They are definitely overpopulated on all coasts. I have friends who dive on the Atlantic side and they say the same thing. They tell me on many spots, when they shoot a fish, there's a good chance a Jewfish will eat it off the spear before they they can string it or send it to the top. There's rumors of several being bang-sticked in self defense (or maybe in fish defense).

Oh yeah, the lobstermen here HATE them and while they won't admit it publicly, they will tell you privately they slit their throats when a juvi gets in there trap.

The wife and I went out for a little while yesterday. Caught this redfish on a topwater lure along with various and assorted other stuff. It was a beautiful day here on the forgotten coast.

image-11.jpg

I want to take my boy fishing, problem is I haven't been in 30 years and I was never any good at it. We have several cheap fishing poles and I can get worms down at the store nut... I wonder if there is some sort of mentoring group I can join.

Should be some good steelhead head waters around you Paul. We had a great day yesterday.
6ubu7e2u.jpg
y7agasys.jpg
sy6y6y8e.jpg

I want to take my boy fishing, problem is I haven't been in 30 years and I was never any good at it. We have several cheap fishing poles and I can get worms down at the store nut... I wonder if there is some sort of mentoring group I can join.

I quit fishing for about ten years until we started having kids. Had to learn all over, but had done a lot of fishing before.
Around here we have some kids fishing derbies, lots of good advice from the pros at one of those. Some good advice can sometimes be had at a bait and tackle shop, or just ask some folks you work with. A lot of times when kids are the reason for fishing, even the most crusty old bastard that would never share any secrets will open up.

Looks great Willie! Good looking fish and happy looking kids!

Perfect, I should get a john boat like Willie and find a crusty old bastard to mentor my kid. Got it.

LOL

uploadfromtaptalk1404575225258.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1404575242817.jpg
I got the 2 keepers from the bank Paul, a decent rod and reel and a box of spoons will catch steelies, the boat is optional!

Very nice Willie! I hear those steelhead are great sport. Have you ever caught one on a fly? Jay, I haven't tried the redfish raw, so far just the snapper. The fillets are beckoning me though, even now. I'll let you know

Yeah, Sept/Oct is "bugs & bubbles" only. But we typically still use spinning rods and reels with them

Back