Fishing 2014

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some red snapper and gag grouper we caught yesterday. It was a wonderful day offshore, a little rough but we had a great time. We caught the snapper on light tackle, what a blast! Check out my designer shorts.
DSC_1959.jpg DSC_1971.jpg DSC_1967.jpg

Congrats on your catch! Those snapper are some beautiful fish! Highly revered here as a food. Called "tai", meaning "deserving of admiration", and are a symbol during celebrations. It was supposed to be on the menu at a dinner gathering for the elite head of the command and the captains of the Jap ships, about to depart to attack Pearl Harbor, a send off guaranteed with luck and success, but the cook make a mistake and served another type fish, which was not a good sign for the beginning of the war, and as it turned out. i'm not sure what happened to the cook, but in the euphoria of the surprise pre-attack on the unknowing west, he might have not been penalized. It is said that the mood was high.

Now I know why it turned out like it did! Red snapper are a beautiful fish Jay, I know we were celebrating when we started catching them. They are hard fighting and fine eating too. I think the grouper are slightly better on the table but a lot of folks prefer the snapper. One of the snapper we caught was a nice mangrove of six or eight pounds. The big mangrove snapper are the Einsteins of the offshore world, extremely wary and hard to catch and maybe slightly better eating IMO.

No, not that light, 15 and 20, which is pretty light for reef fish that know where they can go to cut you off. We did lose several to the reef and one to a big jewfish (goliath grouper). The jewfish are like bears in our neck of the woods, out of control.

I swear to God, if it rains just two tenths of an inch I am taking my family fishing! My hired man has been catching fish all week and it is driving me nuts. Sometimes it sucks being the boss.

The rumor is that there are crappie in the pond to the north of us. I have not fished for them before, any tips, anybody?

Hey Jim, I grew up catching crappie, we call 'em speckled perch. It was my Daddy's favorite fish and he was a master at catching them. We used 1/16 ounce white marabou jigs, small beetle spins and minnows. They bed in the early spring and come up real shallow to spawn in and under vegetation. When it warms up, they head for deep water but may be suspended up in the water column or near the bottom. They're not real aggressive,work the lures slow. Good luck!

V you live in fishing paradise! I went to Dog Island this morning and caught 5 flounder, a mangrove snapper, about a dozen mullet and half a bucket of blue crabs. We're going to have a feast tonight.

Crappie you say? Jigs. Small. Enough to get them to sink, bit not drop like a rock. Tip them with any number of things. Minnow, twister tail, whatever. Keep it small. I personally have good success through the warm season on a pink jighead with white 2" or so twister tail. Other colors work better on some days but for a go to crappie rig that will usually atleast produce omething, thats my rig. Fish above them. Crappie tend to like to feed upward. They will go down to eat something but you'll do better across the board jigging past them or over them.

Another fool proof rig for crappie is a simple small hook through the lips of a minnow. Just enough weight to get it down to where the fish are. Let it sit and wriggle on the hook or gently dance it around the water. Crappie can be a little funny sometimes. It can be tough to find them. Once you do, you are in business. If you find them schooled up, they are typically willing to bite.

That's sacrilegious to live in Marathon and not eat fish! She lives in downtown lobsterville too, surely she eats lobster.

Flounders are good eating? Ray, you are not into raw fish? Definitely species variable, but the good type is the most delicious way to eat fish. Millions of people would agree. Filling but not heavy on your stomach either. Knowing how to filet them helps too. Different tastes within the same fish when raw.

Jay, flounder are one of the best eating fish that swim. I'm no expert on raw fish but I have eaten some, mostly tuna. We caught a bonita Saturday which is a tuna but not considered good by most people, they are extremely bloody. I'm not sure if they would be fit to eat raw or not. What kind of fish do you use and how do you prepare it?

What ever fish is firm fleshed. Soft fish is not for me if it is raw. The one and only time I ate raw fish was in Seattle. I ordered the fishiest platter I could out of mean-ness.

All of the Japanese beer I drank with the meal was made in Canada. I bet real Japanese beer is good with good fish.

Back