Dead fir removal - Treestuff promo

I am surprised to hear that. Does it give reasons ?

Never specifically Reg. They do touch on the marl and running bowline, if only to say that you want the wraps to go in the same direction.

It kind of surprised me too coming off the methods the real deal guys like you and Butch (and many others!) were showing us on the Interweb. . . honestly I've been using everything and anything I can come up with while I'm in the tree. haha.

The only reason I can think of would be retention of rope strength. I'm not sure where a locked off clove hitch would fail?? Probably right at the cross yes?

Big fan of slings and steel biners here 8)

Last edited:
Never trust a source that pushes only one method regarding tree work. Too many tricks in our bag to get hung up on only one method.

:thumbup:

well said. There was good info in the series to be fair. Interesting to see the multiplication of force demonstrated with load cells! :/:

8)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Never specifically Reg. They do touch on the marl and running bowline, if only to say that you want the wraps to go in the same direction.

It kind of surprised me too coming off the methods the real deal guys like you and Butch (and many others!) were showing us on the Interweb. . . honestly I've been using everything and anything I can come up with while I'm in the tree. haha.

The only reason I can think of would be retention of rope strength. I'm not sure where a locked off clove hitch would fail?? Probably right at the cross yes?

Big fan of slings and steel biners here 8)
Speed and strength retention is the incentive for me when I judge it safe to do so....but if I were a teacher like those guys then security would always come first, and I won't argue that there are not better cinching knots out there. You can always cut smaller pieces after all.

There's no bite or significant bends in the knot Sean, until you set the two half hitches at the end....but by which time you've already set two wraps around the log or limb. Point being, a knot chokes more effectively if its tightened by pulling back on itself....think of a cows hitch v a clove. You can cinch up a clove super tight by pulling it to the left or right (depending on which way its wrapped) whilst pulling/tightening on the first half hitch at the same time, before you set the second one. I dont do that with the logs in the video, because Im rushing, and am instead relying on friction more than a cinching effect. For the same reason they are near mid tied. Obviously I'm not gonna use a clove on slippery Euc, or negative tapered log. Im not going use a clove without a good margin between it and the cut either. You cant spread a clove out, unlike say a half hitch/RB combo....something else to consider. A supple rope is always best.... not some beat-up rock hard thing. People knowingly ignore red flags all the time and get away with it....but some techniques are a lot less forgiving than others in that sense.

Yep. Always lots to learn by asking questions. Thanks, Reg.

Sometimes I wish I had to negative rig a lot more (interesting, higher skill set, and competition weeder). If I have a lot of trunk wood, I can often "magic cut" it down without the ground crew being occupied. Most always, if there is an imbalance, it's me waiting in the tree, so when I can drop stuff, it keeps stuff rolling.

Up and out on a wire rope helps cut rigging down. With many vertical trunked conifers, either you are going to be over an obstacle the whole time, or not at all.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

You're missing nothing Sean. Its a pita. I used to get a lot of that kind of work in previous locations, but hardly ever here in Victoria.

Thank goodness for drop zones! Conifers lend themselves to less rigging imo for the reasons Sean stated.

Merely imho: If you're worried about a half hitch to a running-bowline causing a line failure, where a clove hitch wouldn't....

man, it's really time to rethink how and why you're ringing that stuff out to begin with. Who wants to yell down, "Hey, this one might break boys, so get even farther away." :lol:

You won't have to, let your climber(s) do it.;)

Merely imho: If you're worried about a half hitch to a running-bowline causing a line failure, where a clove hitch wouldn't....

man, it's really time to rethink how and why you're ringing that stuff out to begin with. Who wants to yell down, "Hey, this one might break boys, so get even farther away." :lol:

Jed I dont really worry about stuff, I just make the best of what I know. I didnt bring up the knot thing, just answered the questions mate.

no worries at all Chris. Jed seems as honest as the day is long from what I've read in my short time here. Can't ask for more than that. You ever get a feeling that a thread has run its course though ? I was already getting that feeling a little while back. Probably its just me being self conscious for starting it....don't want people to think I'm milking it either.

Back