Dead fir removal - Treestuff promo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You can't tie a clove in a limp wristed wishwashy fashion and expect it to be OK. It had to be set tight with the two half hitches snug against the crossovers. The halfhitches are to finish the knot, they shouldn't be thought of merely as backup. The near mid-tie in the video pulls the knot against the wood, as opposed to down it. It not through luck or chance that we've never lost any that way.

Well I guess thats the good thing about your vids, we have a good look and talk about some of the things involved, learn a bit, think a bit, maybe even change the way we work a bit, I also like that you answer any questions posed.:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just trying to be a contributing member, that's all. But thanks

I use cloves the same way Reg depicts, never a problem as long as finished with the 2 halfs.

I smashed a mailbox on saturday. I was flopping this bulls*&% tree that was leaning over the house...dead ash, and I had to cheat it towards the mailbox to avoid the lamp pole.

$60 replacement from Lowes and moved on with my day. Proceeded to slay another handful of standing dead ash using most of the tricks i know. All without incident.

Shame on you, you filthy animal.......

Just trying to be a contributing member, that's all. But thanks

Dont let anyone erk you. Your work looks awesome. We all have different styles. There's guys here that tie their saws to trees before making a cut.....

Nick, its about time you posted something about your jobs:/: You used to be a major contributor of awesome work pics and vids and that all dried up when you went to TS. I understand it is what it is, but if you are doing tree work, you should post about it, your stuff is rich!

Shame on you, you filthy animal.......

I went to confession (read: bar) and was absolved (read: awesome food and drink).

I made a killing doing sidework all three (fri night too) days this weekend + selling another $500 for next week, that phil and I can do in 2 hours. I even stopped at one random house on the road, knocked the door and sold a $900 3 hr evening for Wednesday (one laborer ($100) and Phil, who I split with). It was stellar! The mailbox was the only hitch.

Well I guess thats the good thing about your vids, we have a good look and talk about some of the things involved, learn a bit, think a bit, maybe even change the way we work a bit, I also like that you answer any questions posed.:D

Amen :/:

Nick, its about time you posted something about your jobs:/: You used to be a major contributor of awesome work pics and vids and that all dried up when you went to TS. I understand it is what it is, but if you are doing tree work, you should post about it, your stuff is rich!

The tree on sunday deserved some pics. It was in the center of a deck, half dead ash, 14". Leaning over the house, 2' from the gutter, 4' from the deck railing. surrounded by bullshit. At least a dozen full 12" hard wired glass lamps, hanging cable with birdfeeders, statues, plaques, globes, candles, $$$$ PITA stuff EVERYWHERE... Topped out, EAB infested. Horizontal rope angle into neighboring tree. We lowered everything onto the deck and pitched it off the edge into the ravine where it stayed. I took two rigging cycles on the trunk wood and it was too close to the gutter for comfort, so cut and threw the rest of it in 12" pieces. I was exhausted to say the least!

Not to beat a dead horse...
But I will use a clove hitch for smaller stuff with the half hitches as back up. I was always taught the importance of making sure it was dressed and set really well. Also paying attention to the direction of the line so that it cinches as it weights as well.
Bigger stuff I will just use a marl and rb. Just habit. I have liked using a biner cinched with a marl more like August mentioned.
Like that you threw that in there Reg.
I have gained a lot from several in here as well as your vids and others.

I thought of a rigging use I still use it for! Well, the rare opportunity I get to climb any more.
When sending down several limbs at once, I run cloves on all but the terminal branch.

I thought of a rigging use I still use it for! Well, the rare opportunity I get to climb any more.
When sending down several limbs at once, I run cloves on all but the terminal branch.

Call me reckless, but I use one Halfhitch on all the limbs except the terminal limb which I use a snap for. Of course it's quite important to make sure the half hitch binds right with its orientation because it's the weight of the limbs down the line pulling against the half-inch that guarantee the bite. Nothing new to you guys I'm sure. If there is any kind of hang up on the way down and one of the limbs stops having downward pressure on the rope then of course it can loosen the Halfhitch and fall out. For that reason it would make the complete Clovehitch on each limb a better choice for security but I am known to strip off every possible hang-up staub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done the same, but prefer knotless rigging. Similar to speedlining, just carry several slings. As in double the size of the largest bouquet you expect to create, which allows you to be prerigging the next turn while the groundies are derigging the last bunch.....

You can't tie a clove in a limp wristed wishwashy fashion and expect it to be OK. It had to be set tight with the two half hitches snug against the crossovers. The halfhitches are to finish the knot, they shouldn't be thought of merely as backup. The near mid-tie in the video pulls the knot against the wood, as opposed to down it. It not through luck or chance that we've never lost any that way.

Way back in '76, I'd only been doing tree work for a year, when, while running rigging for my crew foreman Darrel, I watched his clove hitched piece roll out, as it tipped over, the knot held just long enough for the load to swing past the house. It may have brushed it, but did no damage to the roof or gutter. Ever since then, I've always tied cloves properly, with two half hitches, which are an integral part of the knot, not just a back-up, as you said, Reg.

Edit, just read this whole thread, which turned into a disaster confessional, to see that August made the same mistake, only with consequences that were not so lucky as Darrel's screw up. Mind you, I'm pretty sure Darrel didn't add even one half hitch to the clove.....

I could add a mess of my own screw up stories...but still have images to edit from my weekend... and overdue biz paperwork to finish up.

Great work, naturally, Reg. I'm gonna get a couple of those new fangled toys you were using, fo sho!!

This has been a great thread. Certainly made me think.

Arbormaster Art and Science of Practical Rigging is all clove hitch w/ two half hitches.

Never trust a source that pushes only one method regarding tree work. Too many tricks in our bag to get hung up on only one method.

Back