Dead fir removal - Treestuff promo

Thanks : ) Actually I was at least 80 ft up at the time and had to finish out the rest of the spar with a big dark cloud of demoralization hanging on me, like when I was a kid, and my mom told me in church that I was getting a spanking when I got home.

Good story.
I had a large Poplar that I had topped, attached a rope and using a vehicle winch was felling, long story short, cocked up the fell it went sideways taking out the power supply to a village.
Cue an army of power company trucks, knowing nods and sniggers etc. I remember the feeling of humiliation and embarrassment and try to use it whenever I've got a tricky task.

Good story.
I had a large Poplar that I had topped, attached a rope and using a vehicle winch was felling, long story short, cocked up the fell it went sideways taking out the power supply to a village.
Cue an army of power company trucks, knowing nods and sniggers etc. I remember the feeling of humiliation and embarrassment and try to use it whenever I've got a tricky task.

LOL @ "cue an army of power company trucks"
ROFL! That really cracks me up, probably because I know the feeling. But I will save my power company army story for later.
Pain and embarrassment have taught me well.

I was working as a contract climber reducing some limbs on a huge Euc in Brisbane in Australia over a roof. The lowering line the company had was a shagged out old climbing line, stretchy as a rubber band. I roped off a limb that was probably a bit too big, and the damn thing stretched down ten feet to the roof and carefully and slowly peeled off a line of roof tiles and the gutter.

What reminds me about your tale is the black feeling of despondency for the rest of the day as I did 7 other trees.

LOL, yeah, again laughing, because I know the feeling too well. "Slowly and carefully" peeling tiles and gutter. . .Well put, I can picture it, and your expression even, Sort of a; "Oh please don't, don't, aghhh, no,no,no, agghh, not the gutter too. LOL! Yes, the horror of witnessing the fruit of haste, and then the dark cloud of looming consequence mixed with the taste of crow.

I know that slow motion vid thing well. I tried to hinge a limb sideways to clear a primary and neutral. It cleared the primary fine but brushed the neutral which bounced back up, made contact with the primary and blew the line fuse on the next pole, putting the entire neighborhood in the dark. I looked down at my ground guy and said, "there go the profits on this job". In the eyes of the neighborhood folks you go from a pro to a bum in about two seconds.

Ha! Let me keep this nice run of gnarsty, embararrasing damage stories going: Cake job this winter of taking down a 70'h x 4' diameter multi leader silver maple with the bucket truck, landscaper to clean up the mess, very easy tree, not a single roped cut in it, all just go up and make sizable cuts high enough so they are short enough to fall within the very large drop zone surrounding the tree. I note there are many cables in the tree as I start this simple job, say to myself at least 5x's during the work to double and triple check for cables before making cuts cuz that would be awful to cut something still cabled. Hehehe. Job was going great, saw razor sharp and screaming. Saying to myself geez a helmet cam would be cool here to film this tree getting blasted apart. Got all the brush down, now working on nuking large chunks of leaders. Dropping pretty much everything to its lay cuz of all the room available. I'm on a roll making the logs land flat. Being diligent about checking for cables and removing them as they are encountered. Up about 30'-35' now, cut a 16" x 12' long piece, probably 600 lbs. As I watch it tip over to the lay, I see, a cable still attached. Ho-ly fock. As the piece comes off its stump the cable takes over and pulls it pendulum-style sideways toward the house which is 45' away. At the precise moment the piece has swung to and has the house in it's sights, the cable breaks and the log flies like a spear. As it hurtles I'm watching it all in slow motion saying its gonna fall short, its gonna fall short. Alas, no. It hits the house just like a battering ram, going partially through the wall and smashing a window of the McMansion, glass all over the living room floor. The homeowners thought I was a dope. I was rather crest fallen to have caused major damage on such a simple job. $12k in repairs and a major scar on my safety record.

As an old timer once said to me, "it's the easy ones that will get ya."

A friend of mine lost a 100' tulip poplar right through a million dollar house........

Picture a knife slicing butter......

Man, I'm sorry Cory, but I got ya beat. Just smashed a $13k carport this February. Leveled it to the ground when a piece of wet Red Oak squirted out of a choker on a crane-pic. Funny thing too: I've hated crane jobs for as long as I can remember, and our other removal foreman loves em. What do our bosses do, but give it to me. That'll learn em'. :drink:

Just think of very sharp knife slicing room temperature butter right down to the dish.......... Think of very expensive butter too.

Great stories lads, had me loling here! Weve all been there im sure. I know Ive got away with some crazy sh1t for sure! AND i LIVE TO TELL THE TALE :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What the hell did you guys do to my thread ?:)

It was supposed to be a feel good, and now....

I don't care how dumb the groundies are - I use a running bowline. A clove hitch is what you use to tie on a water bottle.

Ha!! It's like the priest in the confessional...once you open the floodgates the waters flow!

Then there's the joke that ends..."I don't think I woulda told THAT!"

I don't care how dumb the groundies are - I use a running bowline. A clove hitch is what you use to tie on a water bottle.
It retains a lot if Rope strength and is quick to tie, Butch. Especially when reaching up like that. There s lots if times when I wouldnt use it, but have yet to lose a log, limb.... or water bottle for that matter.

Last edited:

It's still a feel good, I promise, by your great job and by the fact that if I did too some damage, they where less costly than the other's stories, hopefully by far.;)

It's still a feel good, I promise, by your great job and by the fact that if I did too some damage, they where less costly than the other's stories, hopefully by far.;)
I was only kidding. Feel free to post your disasters:thumbup:

This thread is a riot, it started off good then went great.

I almost posted about my mishap here the day it happened but I couldn't bring myself to do it, it was too embarrassing. Now, it feels awesome, lol!

Back