Colour coding Biners?

RopeArmour

TreeHouser
Lellow for Life support
Red for Rigging
Black for accessory or light duty

Sounds about right?Anything I might be missing?

Just tired of groundy sending up the wrong biner

Aluminum for life support, steel for rigging. Other than hitch hikers we run that way

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I retire ali life biners almost yearly or near every two yrs and have one steel life biner I like.
So things can get mixed up and keeping the overloaded biners clearly marked will be helpful.

I am going to use nail polish, should be pretty durable

Rigging biners in the rigging bags.. Life support in climbing bags. Mostly like what Willy stated. Steel for rigging and aluminium for climbing with only a couple of person exceptions that reside on my saddle or in the climbing bag.

Yep, same hear. Keep em seperate so the groundies can't get confused, make them recognise climbing or rigging bags/containers instead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Most can't tell the difference between Ali or steel
Most times things are laid out on a tarp so all is at the ready. Or set up on a multi loop sling.
Always seems by the time they figure out where, what etc I have moved on. Anyways just find that this colour coding will reduce confusion. Labels are next. In my best Nickolas Cage ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRXWZ:blob5:

TBH we have no groundies as such, all our guys are qualified, skilled and effeciant climbers. This may be why we don't have this problem. Labels or colour coding does sound a good solution to your problem, or new groundies like SOTC said.

I have two dedicated lifeline biners, which stay on the rope/harness (so always with me) the rest are all retired/rigging.
So no need for color coding, can't hurt though.

Groundies or anybody for that matter does not even see my climbing rig/life support. I load it and unload it I put it on and use it NOBODY else just me . The only exception to this rule is the sub that I use he trusts me and I trust him.

Training is more important than color coding, in my opinion. We spend quite a bit of time learning how to use our new equipment. All three of us are qualified climbers, riggers, and groundies. We take turns on the climbing ropes, rigging, bucking, and loading/hauling. All of my guys know how to run the tractor, dump truck, saws, etc.

We purchased a set of color coded DMM Ultra-O biners from TreeStuff for use during training. It's somewhat helpful, as the instructor doesn't have to stand in the way, or block the view of the others. Knot tying and knot selection is something we spend a lot of time with, but we also train on the climbing gear. Color coded biners help a lot when the climber is just out of reach of the instructor.

All of us know what a Big Dan carabiner looks like. When I ask for a rigging biner, Big Dan is on its way up the tree.

Joel

:lol: Get new groundies!! buh ahahaha! In my area, even up to RA's area, the people "available" are usually experts at 2 things..... messaging their girlfriends and smoke breaks..... it's a common trait all across the trade's helpers up here. Heck, my own 17 year old son ran away and joined his mother on welfare 'cuz I thought a little hard work and some skills was a good thing for him!!

But anyway, I have coloured bags (with a 2 way biner on the handle) that I set up each system or use (light rigging bag, heavy rigging bag, speedline bag, MA bag, etc etc) My ground help is 99% of the time the HO and their friends and family. If I don't take a tag line up that's tied to certain bag I need, I'll usually have a knot at the end of my climb line and all the ground help has to do is clip a bag I call for to it and I'll haul it up. Most of the climb biners and life support slings I need are on my saddle.... (may be that's why I get so tired climbin', hmmmm)

End of the job if it's late or inclement weather I'll just stow everything away willy-nilly and sort/inspect in the shop, or if the weather's nice and I'm waiting for payment I'll do that on site at the truck.

Flushcut,

I run a small business. I have no full-time employees. My guys all have full-time jobs of their own. We schedule tree work when we can fit it in with their schedules. I try to show up with a 3-man crew. Out of the five of us, we can usually find 3 guys available for any job.

My son works in the oil patch in western North Dakota. He's on a drilling rig. He works a week on....week off schedule. My son-in-law is a mechanic at a local repair shop. He's available to me on weekends and evenings.

The local cabinet maker owns his own business and can take time to help with a tree job whenever I need him. I often help him with his bigger jobs (It's a free trade agreement. He works for no pay....as do I, when helping him.) The cabinet maker is from Washington State and spent many months on the north slope of Mount Saint Helens, clearing fallen timber, after it erupted in 1980. He's very experienced with a saw, as well as rigging and knots. He's now learning how to climb, and he truly enjoys his time in the saddle.

My grandson is only 11 years old, but he can tie any knot in the book. He's also a great helper when it comes to running the tractor and loading the trailer. That boy is great on the porty too. My grandson is with me on every job. It's usually not too difficult to round up one of the other guys when a job comes up.

Great people, all of them. We spend time in the back yard climbing and rigging just for fun, while sitting around the camp fire telling war stories.

Joel

Red for rigging (steel)...bit of red oil based paint in the low wear areas or on the textured part of the gate opening.
Nail polish is too 'clear'

Textiles get red electrical tape.

I have to toss this out...paint, tape, any covering on a life support item...look at that with great suspicion, in that it can and has, hidden damage that might well have been observed in gear inspection if such had not been in place.

Back