Colour coding Biners?

I haven't tried it, my first concern would be interfering with gate operation, but how about coloured cable ties near the hinge side of the biner?

Separation & organisation. Climbing kit in the climbing bag & rigging kit from the rigging box. Marking can present issues but the ground staff not having to work anything out is easy - at what ever level they are at.

On a secondary point, I hate people marking things red - red is for danger & potentially a warning.

When I was a transport NCO signing vehicles in and out I made up templates out of bristol board, outlined the various tools and labeled the outlines what they were (supposed to be). I made them for various vehicles, made the whole process A LOT easier, especially when you have 30 vehicles and various different tools at End EX. Might be a good training aid for new groundies..... if they can retain new information! whoa! cough cough ahem sorry.

If your crews as bad as you say, take the time (couple of minutes) to set up your rigging set up before entering a tree. I like doing this so your not up a tree waiting for something whilst not doing anything. Ground crew have enough to setup on a job site without worrying about rigging stuff IMO (fuelling saws, signs, cones, other gear, warming chipper and saws, setting up a base camp for gear. Ect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey steel and Ali. Translucent for inspection and just enough colour

Attachments

• IMG_20141230_161403.jpg
    IMG_20141230_161403.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20141230_161529.jpg
    IMG_20141230_161529.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20141230_161649.jpg
    IMG_20141230_161649.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 45
I like a big box
Stow away handle that seconds as a shelf/table I use piece of puck board that seconds as a seperater for sharp tools from climbing gear, has descent wheels and its tough enough even in the frigid.
One for two extra large hd vinyl tarp
One for transporting long distances
I have had a few good employees who will run and never leave a by empty h anded or bring what's needed from the truck either way big job box with handy tools at the ready is the way we fly.
I have a third if I travelling for 4 saws and all related gear and fuel.

Attachments

• IMG_20150101_195705.jpg
    IMG_20150101_195705.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 25
I've had my eye open for an aluminum storage box similar to that idea, something that can be locked and secured to a truck bed and can be carried. Anything close the cost is too much. I think I'll head up to Cambridge some day soon and grab a sheet of checker plate at Metal Supermarket.

checkerplate box I ahve on the chipper is bit heavy when loaded to move around. Plastic box is pretty light in comparison.
Plenty of already built ali boxes to be had at heavy truck suppliers
There is a http://www.glanfordiron.ca/en/ metal recycler south of you mb closer to the hammer that has piles of ali sheet for cheap. dinged scratche d or bent a bit. I had my first box done with this cheap ali. None the wiser. Lil elbow grease as good as any metal market.
Stainless steel would be my first choice cause seems to be stronger and lighter and easier to keep sparkley. spensiv though

If the box is cheaper than $100, I'd buy it, that about how much I can get a sheet of aluminum checker plate for. I have a brake, shear, MIG welder. I like those little projects.

What metal recycler are you talking about? Glanfords?

I just retired a life support biner into speedline use, where sometimes a locking biner is important, yet strength of steel, is not. Lemon life support comes off, and red goes on. Some of my life support are steel. Better for advancing your rope with a heavy weight on the end, and manipulating it down back to you on rough bark trees.

Back