Broken aluminum ring

• Thread starter Tobe Sherrill
  • Start date
  • Replies 205
  • Views 27K
Is the original ring from BF2 in the upper left corner of the pic part of the recall?

I specifically asked Tobe about the BF2 OEM ring. He said it was only the small rings and that the BF2 ring should be good to go. Funny though, my original BF2 ring was polished, not anodized.

my original is the polished one in the upper left corner of the pic I posted.

I changed it to the False crotch/Friction saver larger ring to fit two carabiners.

Yeah- that one in the upper left corner is the one that's being recalled.

I'm sending back smalls and larges. The recall notice doesn't specify smalls.

Why would they test the large and not the small? That don't make sense.

love
nick

my original is the polished one in the upper left corner of the pic I posted.

I changed it to the False crotch/Friction saver larger ring to fit two carabiners.

Now that I think about it, my OEM ring was small too, like in the upper left. I changed to a big ring for the same reason before I ever used the harness. A friend showed me that. I put two small ones back on later.

I'm not sending back the rings by mail. They're in the car so next time I go by Vermeer I'll see if they'll swap them but I suck at getting stuff shipped out. It's not worth the time, they've already been replaced on the harness. I use steel everywhere else.

I'm going to ask Sherrill if they will honor the replacement without my sending back the two rings the long distance. Likely they will say no, is my guess.

I just noticed that the two rings on the risers are these same small rings. I called baileys and they said to their knowledge, these rings do not apply to any recall. I emailed Paolo (the guy that designed the harness) to get his
input. I'll let you know what he says.

love
nick

treeflex%20circled.jpg

For those that are interested, Laz has reported at the buzz that the supplier for the rings on the tf is Aludesigns (or something like that) and it's now owned by or is known as Climbing Technologies.

I'm leaving my harness as it was with the stock rings.

love
nick

Sherril told me that they will replace the rings and ship over here with some rope that I ordered. No need to go to the expense of returning them, just promise that I have destroyed the ones being recalled. :/: That's cool.

LOL, I thought about melting them down inside my wood stove, but a waste of aluminum, so they will have further non threatening use incorporated into a dog collar and leash.

Headline "Akita snaps supposedly 5000 lb breaking strength aluminium rings and savages small girl"

I picked up my certified leter today from Sherrill detailing the recal. I'm hoping they get their money back for their postage although they also added a 44 cent first class stamp which wasn't required and as such wasn't voided.

I just got a large ring from Treestuff, it is made by CT in Italy, it is stamped" made in Italy" , I take it this one is okay?

Hope so, cuz I have been flying on it ;)

Yep, it's OK. CT makes great stuff.

I use their steel rings and aluminum snaps... best damn snap out there.

Back