Broken aluminum ring

• Thread starter Tobe Sherrill
  • Start date
  • Replies 205
  • Views 27K
Im a bit POed about this....

I have 5 rings to send in for replacement, 3 of which were spliced onto rope, not spliced by Sherrill, but rings purchased from them. So Sherrill will only resplice splices they made? Is my splicing time and energy to go unrecognized. Plus not to mention some of the cordage/ rope is no longer made. So I have useless splices that Ive had to cut rings out of, or perfectly good splices Ive had to cut to remove the rings for replacement. While I commend Tobe for stepping up, I dont feel its enough, afterall they sold me the rings which are now junk. Id like all of my components to be exactly as they were, and now thats not even possible.

How can you sell whats supposed to be rated equipment and its not and let that slip by? So Kong outsourced the manufacturing, and Sherrill didnt notice? In my opinion Sherrill is at as much fault as Kong. Screwed by Walmart again!

Problem is that italians don't really make quality products be it cars, analytical equipment or climbing gear.

John - I don't think you can be made whole. Yes, screwed by walmart but if you spliced them into a million dollar thingy, would you expect a million in return? They have to limit their liability.

Oh, and beware of the Dutch, they are just italians disguised as Germans.

:P

I see your point Nate, but see mine. I have alot time and effort into developing the perfect systems which I use. Now I must start all over because Ive had to destroy / dismantle them because of an inferior product which I was sold. Which BTW went unnoticed until there was an incident. While Im grateful, this came to light with minimal injuries, Im still at square one. And yes, if I had spliced it onto a million dollar thingy, which I had to destroy because of their negligence I would expect a new million dollar thingy!

Glad to hear you are not putting aluminum rings through your million dollar thingy!!

:P

Im a bit POed about this....

I have 5 rings to send in for replacement, 3 of which were spliced onto rope, not spliced by Sherrill, but rings purchased from them. So Sherrill will only resplice splices they made? Is my splicing time and energy to go unrecognized. Plus not to mention some of the cordage/ rope is no longer made. So I have useless splices that Ive had to cut rings out of, or perfectly good splices Ive had to cut to remove the rings for replacement. While I commend Tobe for stepping up, I dont feel its enough, afterall they sold me the rings which are now junk. Id like all of my components to be exactly as they were, and now thats not even possible.

How can you sell whats supposed to be rated equipment and its not and let that slip by? So Kong outsourced the manufacturing, and Sherrill didnt notice? In my opinion Sherrill is at as much fault as Kong. Screwed by Walmart again!

I'm suprised. They are replacing the item you purchased. You chose not to purchase splices from them, yet you want them to pay for your splices? If you have perfect systems, why would you want the overtasked splicing department at Sherrill to splice something for you.

I'm no fan of that vendor, yet I am of the feeling they are doing all that is needed to make things right. Taking their share of responsibility.

Gary, those grey rings aren't part of the recall. I think those come from Buckingham. It's only polished aluminum, no anodizing.

To Sherrill's credit, they were out of the gate on the recall BEFORE the second ring broke. It wasn't communicated on national TV or anything but it was Tobe that started this thread. This is in the original post...
Given the circumstances, and even without a recall, SherrillTree will voluntarily replace any SherrillTree-supplied product having the above-described ring with a more clearly marked and certified variation as soon as they come available. Please mail your polished aluminum ring or ring-attached splice to...
I have my own issues with Sherrills but they have been nothing but a stand up company, leading the way on getting these rings out of climbing systems.

This is KONG's fault. They sold the rings to Sherrills and Wespur and whoever else as suitable for life support. As the 'manufacturer' they are responsible for quality assurance and they utterly dropped the ball.

The climber that's going to die or get seriously hurt because of this is still out there, out of the loop, thinking his equipment will not let him down... but it will, in a big way. THIS IS ALL ON KONG.

Top, I'd be pissed about the splicing thing too but they do have to limit their liability. They're exceeding what Kong will do, that's for certain.

Better pissed than a smear in a crater.

I go through ropes fairly regularly. At least one a year these days. When I was climbing every day, more often than that. Ropes to me are consumables.
Feel good maybe that they, Sherrills is making an effort to make good.

Had to retire 150 feet of Blue Streak this week :( Hurt my feelings :( But you're right Frans.. Ain't like it did not pay for itself ;) And not like it will go to waste in segments ;)

Ok, maybe bicycles.... and they also make the finest HG wing money can buy...

Z9-01-M.jpg

Bonaiti used to make great climbing gear, but I don't trust them fer shit now.

I have a big friction saver I use for crane jobs that I don't want to distroy, so I'm cutting the rings out of it and replacing them with two biners.

I'll still get some use out of it! :D

I have a big friction saver I use for crane jobs that I don't want to distroy, so I'm cutting the rings out of it and replacing them with two biners.

I'll still get some use out of it! :D

Hell, cut the rings so you don't have to re-splice.

oh really?

I use a larger ring for both tie-in carabiners on my saddle.

Though it is not polished, and more of a grey hue to it.

Pretty selfish post but I hope this all gets sorted for the name of safety.

I think it has pretty much been sorted out now. The polished rings without the marking, are the ones to be replaced. The anodized ones are OK.

Deva, according to the recall if it's anodized you've got no worries. Keep flying on your favorite ring.

Back