• Thread starter Tobe Sherrill
  • Start date
  • Replies 205
  • Views 27K
Yikes.

So only the unmarked rings are failing?

I use the grey ring on my saddle.
off of a green and red friction saver.

I'm pretty sure it's only the aluminum ones. Personally, I have no use for an aluminum ring on a friction saver... I'm just not that careful with'em. The Omegas I'm using on my harness are grey but they have markings.

What about the aluminum unmarked rings on say a Cougar saddle?

It's simple. If it's aluminum, and it's not marked, send it back.

I'll be sending the one back off my Bfly.

It's not really scientific.

But I hammer tested one today. A very light tap with a small ball peen hammer split it in two.

I don't think the hammer test is a good one but screw all this, I'm going to steel rings.

hammer...here we go again....I say a bad batch or cheap shit is in order.

I can smash a biner with a few taps too...

steel on all of our "day to day" hammer shit

Very unscientific, like I said.

Just never thought it'd brake soo easy. I ride a 90% aluminum motocross bike, cases are ALOT thinner than that ring, and get pelted by rock. Pretty rare to crack a case.

better manafacture?......or manafracture...

I bet Petzl wont recall thiers

Kong/Bonatti has screwed up BIG and they deserve to pay for it. Now a second ring has failed, in a comp no less. It was on a sequoia bridge.

THIS IS BULLSHIT! What kind of company selling life support gear lets untested crap like this into their inventory? Somebody is probably going to die over this and it's all about some chickenshit MBA somewhere saving a few coins. BULLSHIT!

I'm ditching every piece of Kong gear I own which going to cost some money... that's bullshit too.

I will NEVER buy another piece of Kong gear, EVER. This is a breach of trust that cannot be mended with a stupid-ass recall on a ring that costs more to ship than it does to make.

BOYCOTT KONG, they are not deserving of our business.

I stopped buying Kong gear when I had a carabiner fall apart on me (it didn't crack- a little spring popped out from inside the gate, then it lost it's ability to autolock and stay shut).

Carabiners shouldn't break that easily.

I'm with ya. Their stuff has always seemed a bit...I don't know...rushed to me.

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And here are end views of 3 different rings broken with our 50-ton machine. Although 5 were "unmarked" as with the failed product, none of this batch broke below 6,800 pounds. I have the sense that this incident is batch related but no firm proof yet.

Brendon, did these rings have a distinctive "ridge" around the outside edge? Are you certain they came from Wesspur early 2008? If so I think I see a pattern developing.

Attachments

• DSC02800.jpg
    DSC02800.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 19
Damn it!! I bought a bunch of those aluminum rings, all in mid 2008. I spliced them into a bunch of things, all of which I use all the time.

Sucks to cut the rings out of all those friction savers... but now I'm sketched out.

I bet if you go to american cable and blow one out.....it will hold over 10k..

I wonder if the issue is a single ring used on a bridge vs two rings on a friction save..

I have two more, one brand new, one used...if your interested.

It's amazing the differences in how they broke. I was expecting to have them break like yours... the one I hit almost looks like it had a vein, or void it broke soo clean.

I bet if you go to american cable and blow one out.....it will hold over 10k..

I wonder if the issue is a single ring used on a bridge vs two rings on a friction save..

I bet it would too, and I actually took a good drop straight onto the one I use for my bridge a while ago when I was still at Wilson.

Can someone elaborate on the story... Someone's broke while they were climbing?? HUH!!?

2 times...from what I hear

Just retire them....5 bucks aint worth a wheel chair.

Fixe makes a great stainless ring....bomber, Lexi an I ride those....Ross has two titanium rings from somwheres

The stiches on my original Sequioa bridge wore out.....rings look brand new..They are welded and I know this wigs some folks out:O

Tobe, I can tell from the distortion and breaks in the rings of the photo you posted that they took the strain long before breaking, and held true to their test strengths.

In the photo that Brenden V posted the breaks in the rings were absolutely clean.

I understand the testing was tensile/pull strength in your photo and shearing impact in Brendens. He put the ring in a vise and hit it with a hammer.

In either case the forces from regular climbing would not even come close to what the rings in both photos were subjected to.

So how did that ring at the Michigan TCC fail?

Am I misinformed on this? Anybody?

Back