Broken aluminum ring

• Thread starter Tobe Sherrill
  • Start date
  • Replies 205
  • Views 27K
Yes, under what type of work were these rings subjected to when they, or it, failed?

I guess I'm taking that one off my bridge no matter what. A $4 ring ain't worth the worry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jerry,
To my understanding the climber was on the ground introducing a test load when the ring snapped. I saw no elongation of the metal which makes me believe the forging process was poorly monitored and managed. Individual testing would likely have revealed the problem. We broke 6 rings from inventory (3 marked and 3 unmarked) and none broke under 6,800 lbs.

Blinky, Don't ditch it, trade it in for an individually tested version that YOU CAN trust your life to.

WoodBoy, we have sold these Kong-sourced rings alone as well as spliced them into various friction saver accessories.

NoBivy -Dates? Don't understand your question. Here - If you ever bought a polished aluminum ring from us without inscription we are inviting it back, there's simply no room for error in my opinion.

Sean, According to a source who just received a similar ring from Wesspur, your response "All our rings have the strength in kN printed right on the side" is, well, not exactly accurate. I would also reconsider your current hardware source. I thought SherrillTree was doing right buying directly from the manufacturing source in Italy but it turned out they outsourced. You, on the other hand, must surely know your source is NOT only NOT a manufacturer, but also a known importer of... less than premium quality. Drop me a pm and i'll redirect you.

all for now.

Tobe, is reimbursement for shipping charges part of the deal on recalls? Talking international here.

Thanks.

Okay I am going to post this thread at Arbtalk on the off chance that a Britisher/European has purchased the suspect rings, hope you don't mind chief.

While I would like to take credit for the business that was shared, it wasn't me who set the fellows up with the gear on this thread. I believe that was Rich Hattier...........good guy and splicer!!!

Howdy Rich, good to see you again. That was my mistake, mixing you up with Rich Hattier. My apologies.

Tobe- I used a few of those rings for a few pieces that I made for myself and for a several of my customers. Would you mind if I posted a link on my website?

I'll also email everyone who might have something with these rings on it, on something spliced by me, for a replacement...

love
nick

Right here. All our rings have the strength in kN printed right on the side. We don't sell the kind without the inscription.

Sean, financially this is no big deal to me, because I don't mind popping for a new ring. But for safety sake, if some of these rings are out there and there is no way of knowing if they are part of the bad batch, folks should know.

I ordered these two rings on 11/10/08 from Wesspur. There is no chance for confusion here because I have never ordered any other aluminum rings. These rings have no markings.

My original thought was to use them on a friction saver but I decided to use the small ring as an attachment point on the bridge of my saddle. Due to current information, it has been removed. I will be getting a marked ring.

Dave

Attachments

• Aluminum rings.JPG
    Aluminum rings.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 9
Dave,

Like you've read above, I had 3 small unmarked rings from Wesspur too. The large rings had US Rigging markings on them. Sean said they never sold them without markings, and I'm glad you were able to back up my findings, although Sean never questioned it anyways.

He's taken care of it, even thought I made clearly I wasn't looking for that outcome. I just wanted to bring it to attention.

I also purchased a couple unmarked rings from Wesspur. That was probably about 3 years ago, though. I quit using them pretty much right away because they were too soft and abraded waaay too easily.

I just changed mine out to a couple of Omega rap rings... then I go to the Omega website and find the rings aren't rated for continuous use. Screw me.

then I go to the Omega website and find the rings aren't rated for continuous use. Screw me.

Dontcha just love the lawyer talk? 'Continuous use' Well jeez so that means I can think about using it, but not actually use it? What is continuous anyway? Over 1 second of use? :lol:

Dontcha just love the lawyer talk? 'Continuous use' Well jeez so that means I can think about using it, but not actually use it? What is continuous anyway? Over 1 second of use? :lol:

My thoughts exactly. I've been using one of'em for a couple of years already.

Am I a bad person if I like the unmarked rings on my saddle? Hell, they've been on there for over two years now.

No Andrew, your just a bad person, period.:P

Thanks for that schweet setup!

And another busted ring!!!!!!!!!!!!

After returning a trailer to a fellow climber & frined of mine, he told me he attended the Michigan-T.C.C. today and
one of the competiters there had an aluminum ring fail on him.

He tells me this guy fell aprox 15' and was Ok. Thank God for that.

Many there were concerned but from what my friend was saying...no one knew of this recent ring issue as talked about in this thread!

He goes on to say that one of the Bartlet people (vending) came over to have a look and once they realized it wasn't one of their rings...thay turned & walked away.

I'd guess in the next day or so there might be some talk on this subject over at the BUZZ.

This is all I know at this time.

HC

ps -I really wanted to attend the MTCC this year but somehow forgot all about it, though I did 1-T/D, 3-trims, & 2-Quotes. ($$$:D)

I guess that takes the situation to a level beyond just being a freak isolated incident. It would seem that concern is definitely due.

Back