August Hunicke Videos

Sharing that way works perfectly for mobile users on Tapatalk though.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/69Vym4JLoWE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey August: When I worked at Beaver in Central Point, I had a buddy named Matt who had worked at Grayback... Said it was insane boring though... so... I gotta say: your vid. made it look pretty sweet. ;)

I was training them. I was giving them goals and celebrating with them as they achieved them. It was a blast. It's a great company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 days. Some one on one. Some groups of 2. Some groups of 5 or more.

Cool. Why was that wooden walkway out there?

It was a flume. The whole project is all about the Helena water supply. They get their water supply from the Chessmen reservoir. 75 to 80% of the trees in my estimation are dead. 600 or so acres.
Good question.

I probably would volunteer my time Jerry if there was any, but in this case I was definitely paid. Grayback puts a lot of money into their program.

Thanks Jerry, the whole project centered around holding wood. These guys have been trained in standardized methods that teach how, but not why… or when.
Most of them have fallen thousands and thousands of trees (not big trees but definitely production). It's what they do. This project needed 100% guarantee for sake of the flume, thus the call for extra training. They were very receptive, even skilled and humble in most cases. A great combination.

It's not just a walkway. It's a walkway on top of a flume. The water supply for the city of Helena. The capital of Montana. I would have thought it would be more high-tech. Turns out Montana is pretty low-tech. I had never been there.

Montana low tech? Oh boy Captian Zero is gonna get angry.
Cool stuff August. It's gotta be a good thing to be able to teach

I've removed some Fir trees over a flume on a steep hillside. While low tech, every section of material for the flume was floated from the reservoir on top of the mountain, down the creek, then caught, and assembled. Crazy to think about building that on the side of a mountain!

there's a lot of working flumes up in the Sierra. though in this drought they are probably dry. On the South Coast here there was one in Butano Redwoods I saw still working back around 2000. though it may not be working today. The engineering of a flume is very interesting.

Sometimes flumes provide small scale hydroelectric power by diverting a mountain stream horizontally, dropping through a turbine, and returning the water to the stream. I've seen it around Tahoe, IIRC.

There are old flumes around here quite extensive at one time for irrigation. I've got a couple big old diverter boxes in the end of my field and a neighbor nearby has intact wooden pipes running through his place.

Back