August Hunicke Videos

Good one.
I guess you'll soon tied up mostly with grass cutting :lol:
Interesting that you remained tied in to the other tree even though you're miles above your tie in, when I'm like that I think "well if this tree failed I'd probably be better going down with it rather than being the soft link in tight rope situation" Or, if by some cock up, my strop failed or was cut, it looks like you'd hit the ground before the slack was taken up.

Avoid the Circle of Death caused by clipping hip-to-hip, by a center connection, like a bridge ring.

Fantastic vid, very cool music, great background on the theft and your perspective on it and the gifts of learning about life you received from it. As was said above, theft can rock your world. Awhile back, I remember having the feeling that bringing in the daily gross pay was a bit automatic, almost like it was a given. Then my trucks got robbed. And that's when I was reminded that the daily income can only happen if you do indeed have all your gear, not to mention your health, at the ready. Made me appreciate more all that gear and all that daily work that over time had started to get taken for granted.

Your burl hunter pal has a lot of timber falling experience apparently, his stump and technique scream PNW faller.

Nice array of techniques shown, including the 2:1 on the speedline. Seems like you were a Blakes or tautline guy not so long ago but you show a lot of higher tech gear recently including the hitchclibmer, zig zag, and Rope Runner, can you comment on how you like these various climbing devices?

How, pray tell, did you get the far away footage of the tree being pieced out??

Between the video production quality and the narration and music, truly a remarkable video.

Well done, sir!

Nice job August. Nothing worse than getting robbed. I'd rather give stuff away than the feeling of someone else taking it. I still chain my saws down on the truck between jobs....even here in Victoria. Old habits. You prefer your lines under the slings when you're rigging chunks like that ?

Mate, wear your seat belt. It doesn't have to be your fault. Same as having your gear stolen. You have a family. Really don't want you to be the focal point of the next treehouse raffle.

Ohh, man that was really cool. I appreciate your soliloquies August. Too many cool things about your art to enumerate... Love the centipede crawling out of that nasty rot. Hang in there man... good stuff.

Fantastic vid, very cool music, great background on the theft and your perspective on it and the gifts of learning about life you received from it. As was said above, theft can rock your world. Awhile back, I remember having the feeling that bringing in the daily gross pay was a bit automatic, almost like it was a given. Then my trucks got robbed. And that's when I was reminded that the daily income can only happen if you do indeed have all your gear, not to mention your health, at the ready. Made me appreciate more all that gear and all that daily work that over time had started to get taken for granted.

Your burl hunter pal has a lot of timber falling experience apparently, his stump and technique scream PNW faller.

Nice array of techniques shown, including the 2:1 on the speedline. Seems like you were a Blakes or tautline guy not so long ago but you show a lot of higher tech gear recently including the hitchclibmer, zig zag, and Rope Runner, can you comment on how you like these various climbing devices?

How, pray tell, did you get the far away footage of the tree being pieced out??

Between the video production quality and the narration and music, truly a remarkable video.

Well done, sir!

I tried out the hitch climber first (upon exiting my cave) but got tired of fussing with perfecting the hitch and the latency of the knot grabbing. I then tried the spider Jack for about two hours and declared it an accident waiting to happen ;-) I then tried the zigzag and despite a great amount of criticism from millions of people I found that I love the thing. It's very smooth. It works great with the rope wrench for SRT even though it's not advised. I wouldn't give it to a new climber.… someone who might not know not to sideload bend it around a trunk or something. I had used it for a while and didn't know that I had officially left predominant Blake hitch split tail climbing until one day when I stood at the base of a tree with my split tail system and realized I didn't want to go through the pain of using two hands to advance the knot. I then went back to the truck and got the zigzag.
Since then I got the rope runner and have used it nearly exclusively. I haven't perfected it's use with Johnny pro smoothness. But I find that I can quickly go from DdR T to SRT without having to put a rope wrench in the system.
I can see how it could become or maybe already is my go to item.
The faraway footage…
I knew I was going to do that for the intro so I had one of my guys run down the road and set a camera on the other side of the topiary and then come back and then go back later to retrieve it.. Just something I thought about in between shaping that topiary and coming back the next day. Thanks for the keen interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job August. Nothing worse than getting robbed. I'd rather give stuff away than the feeling of someone else taking it. I still chain my saws down on the truck between jobs....even here in Victoria. Old habits. You prefer your lines under the slings when you're rigging chunks like that ?

Mate, wear your seat belt. It doesn't have to be your fault. Same as having your gear stolen. You have a family. Really don't want you to be the focal point of the next treehouse raffle.

I have a locking canopy on my truck. Wouldn't stop someone for very long though…
Kind of weird thinking that video could be an advertisement for thieves about gear.
They are usually tweeked out somewhere and can't sit still for long though around here. Probably not watching a 12 minute video. The whole story is even crazier. The gear ended up being in the possession of another tree service. Ask Willie about that… (He wasn't the tree service I am referencing though ;-)

Yes, the seatbelt. I have actually been trying to remember that thing. I get it most of the time. Didn't know I wasn't wearing until I saw the video myself.

Nice one August, enjoyed that.

Don't ask me, I'll get tired of telling all the stories about that outfit!

Oh Reg, forgot to answer about the flip line placement. Yes I sometimes put it below the slings. Depending on the situation, species, slings etc.

Nice Job August, Sorry to hear your stuff was taken, wish i would have known i would have sent u my 201t to barrow. Take care and keep them coming.

Jed, soliloquies… I'll have to look that up.

Augustin did it... heck man lots of cool guys have done it. Man, maybe all of us have done it or do it (I know I do) but just don't want to admit it. Why not man... nothing shameful in it, and sometimes it can be downright cool, as in your vids.

Burnham,

I must not be visiting here at the house often enough of late; it is good to have you back and posting again.

Best wishes,

Tim

To August, great video, thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved that really long swing at the end; would have loved it even more if the whole swing had been in slow-motion. Just too cool.

I look forward to hearing your continuing impressions about the various climbing tools that you choose to experiment with. You are probably aware of this, but I think I've read that the spring at the top of the Rope Runner is critical to its function. Yoyoman did a video on his YouTube channel about it. You just need to check it all the time to make sure that it's functional, I think. I do not yet own a Rope Runner, for the sake of full disclosure. I believe the Rope Runner still works without a functioning spring, but you have to manually engage it before you sit your weight into it, just like the early days of the Rope Wrench with a floppy tether.

The big difference is, the Rope Wrench was not life support, the hitch was. The Rope Runner is life support, and if you sit back into it with a broken or missing spring, without manually engaging the Rope Runner first, it could drop you. So I guess the rule is to check every time that the Rope Runner has engaged before putting your life on it, just like you would with a hitch. I would guess that a failure of the spring is a really low probability event, but the importance of the spring in the function of the Rope Runner is, in my opinion, something that every climber using the Rope Runner should be aware of.

Having said all of that, I'm really proud of Kevin Bingham for both of his inventions, and I look forward to owning a Rope Runner myself, when times are better for me.

Thanks for going to all of the trouble of producing these videos, and for sharing them with the community.

Tim

Thanks, Tim...been off on a month's worth of camping and hiking in southern Utah, but will be around the TreeHouse more now.

Thanks, August. I just found the video in question. I'm going to try to embed it here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7Z2IYTDchTM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tim

Burnham,

I must not be visiting here at the house often enough of late; it is good to have you back and posting again.

Best wishes,

Tim

Thanks, Tim...been off on a month's worth of camping and hiking in southern Utah, but will be around the TreeHouse more now.

That is good to hear, Burnham. I hope you had a great time. Sounds like a fun trip.

Tim

Back