2 Oaks dismantled from the bucket

Ye
if I may...it might take some doing to break the bad habit...which is not wrapping his thumb around the handle.
So many people still teaching this method. Dont understand it.

I do find that at times I need to remind myself.

In this pic they are showing it as what to do as a practice.
Not as some thing not to do.

Attachments

• FH05FEB_CHAINS_04.jpg
    FH05FEB_CHAINS_04.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
2k was for a 60 tonne crane, on a tree from Irene. Not sure about smaller ones. Yes, with a crane, those trees could have been done in a few hours.

I need to start combining jobs and using a crane. I'm guilty of not doing it. I simply climb each and every day. No bucket.

Oh for sure. I miss the days of working out of a bucket. That was nice. Once I brought a bucket in on one of my jobs. I'll go that route when the time comes. For now, I climb every day. I seem to think it has made me a decent climber because I don't have the option to do it any other way.

That's how you get good at climbing, by not owning a bucket:D

I was 38 when I figured out I was past my prime and my income had already peaked as a climber. Scared the hell out of me and forced me to look for a different direction. Climbing is a young man's game.

I still come home froggy after climbing and throwing logs all day, but I see this wearing me down someday. Very few residential climbers in my area. Almost everyone uses a bucket. It leaves the ball in my court a lot of times. I'll buy a bucket, but not yet.

I'd rather have log moving equipment than a bucket. Although do not get a taste of operating a nice bucket. You'll want to pack up the climbing gear. Once I ran a nice bucket, my views changed and all I want to do is push levers. Soon I hope, but still pulling rope currently. :|:

So many people still teaching this method. Dont understand it.

I do find that at times I need to remind myself.

In this pic they are showing it as what to do as a practice.
Not as some thing not to do.

Yes, the pic shows the way to go. It's easy to pull the handle out of your hand when the thumb isn't wrapped around it.
The four fingers alone have a hard time to keep the handle during a kick-back.
I see often my self with the bad grip and it's difficult to take the good habit for two points (for me at least) : I feel the handle well level only without the thumb, and as there isn't much place between the handle and the chain brake or the housing, my finger's knuckles touch when my thumb is wrapped.

When driving off road, it's the opposite, don't wrap the thumb on the steering wheel : If the car takes a stump, rock or a big bump, the front wheels send a brutal movement to the steering wheel which can brake your wrapped thumb(s).
With 4 fingers, the steering wheel slides in your hands and no harm.

Yeah Tucker...no bucket here either...but I've had the pleasure, there are days I sigh and wish I could will one into existence.

Back