Rigging an oak stub

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fun to watch Benn. Thanks for posting.

My .02 is he a wrap too much on. You see him flipping/whipping the line after the load stops a few times to get it feeding again.

And +1 to tuckers last post!

Yeh Dog I know, as I said he is used to the smaller diameter portawrap... The Stein certainly is more beefy...

Lots of good advice, and to be fair to Murph his guy is as smooth as you like in the vids I've seen.
Funnily, on the occasions where we don't bother with a device and we use a wrap around the tree he can bring himself to let it run a bit. (I use the old style plaited rope as well as the blue pulley friendly stuff)
I think it's the initial jerk as the rope takes up the slack and pulls the device upwards that spooks him.
I do prefer him a decent distance away though, that just seems to make sense.

'"
I do prefer him a decent distance away though, that just seems to make sense.

Always best to keep open mind... there are a lot of things in this biz that are counter-intuitive...
Like for example. You'd think that using a stronger rope is better.. just seems to make sense... right???

Except its wrong.. Stronger rope can overload the system/tree and kill the climber...

And you can stand near the porty and out of the DZ... the closer you are, the more control you'll have...
Stand to the side and look up... of course it all depends on the situation..

Obviously if you get into big wood you're gonna need something more than 1/2" true blue.... I AM looking forward to getting a 200' polydene... maybe 9/16" ... that has the same amount of stretch per given weight, as the 1/2" true blue, just a much higher breaking strength

when I first got into tree work and was learning to run ropes, I was working with a lot of guys much bigger that I. they told me if I shook them up in the tree they would promptly come down and kick my ass. I then promptly learned to run ropes correctly

I think it's the initial jerk as the rope takes up the slack and pulls the device upwards that spooks him.
If it's the reason why, (at least one of them), you can try to work with a bollard instead of a porty. It's firmly strapped to the tree and doesn't move when loaded. It could be easier to see what's going on for him without the parasitic movement.

I think he is saying that you want your rope to break before the tree.

Not at all....

" Dude, you're going to have to explain this one. "

OK here we go AGAIN....

The dynamic properties (stretch) in a line, with a lower breaking strength, will absorb a lot more shock load, putting less strain on the rigging system and the tree. Since the tree's strength and stability is often the unknown variable in a rigging system and the one that leads to death if it fails , we should use everything to our advantage in minimizing the forces on the tree. Thus the importance of dynamic ropes for lowering lines. For those rare situations where there is little room to allow stretch in the line, use a static line or simply take the stretch out of the line by pretensioing from the ground...

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WDIo-WZkSaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
this video from Yale Cordage is a great example of the benefits of lower tensile.... higher stretch line for rigging ... think about the effects on the tree

Interesting video Daniel, thanks. That explained it to me. It's kind of mind boggling to see a rope rated to 20,500lbs break at only 1420lbs.

Make you wonder if that vid would have had the same outcome if they had used a splice on the Ultrex drop like in the test bed pull.

Back