Cottonwood zipline

RegC

TreeHouser
Some footage from a job a couple months back. 6 cottonwoods to remove, 3 were around 115 ft or just over, and then 3 smaller. We took down 5 in the first day with one remaining and final cleanup the morning after.

The limbs had to be rigged because of fruit trees scattered all around underneath – although hard to spot on the video. The zipline further helped our cause in getting the foliage closer to the chipper in quick succession. I only got video from 2 of the trees, but you get the idea. Short clips made for an easy edit last night.

I was sick throughout the day as I recall, so it took quite the effort to get up the last tree at 3pm. I was ok once I got up and tied in though.

Watch in HD. Thanks

http://youtu.be/hAKzT5WaxwQ

Another beautiful flick Reg. Say... how do you get your loop runners and stuff back--I didn't see any kind of a haul-back line. Do they just tie them onto your climb line?

Bad ass.

Reg, why the round turn in the biner redirecting the hipline? Thanks.

You're a true engineer in the trees, Reg. What are your plans in the future? You could start a school. The best!

August Hunicke could do the same with his understanding of tree work and video skills. Both of you are still young. Think about it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all. Jed I have 11 slings with steel twistlocks just for the task. When I run out they just tie them on the end of my climbline. I've used control lines in the past to slow things down, which has seconded as a haulback line also.....but never a haul back as the sole purpose.

Cory, I can set and share/spread the load better between the two rigging points, rather than just run a redirect straight through the carabinier.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jerry. I've always had offers in that respect, but am not really in the position to commit to anything at the current time. I still have a contract running with Stein, which in a sense works like a second job/income....plus my commitments here with the tree companies I work with. I'm hoping over the next year or so I can free up some time to look at other situations. Since my daughter was born in 2009 my hands have been tied somewhat, but she started school this year so things are slowly changing. Part time training sounds bearable....full time wouldn't be so appealing as things stand. Thanks again:thumbup:

You're a true engineer in the trees, Reg. What are your plans in the future? You could start a school. The best!

August Hunicke could do the same with his understanding of tree work and video skills. Both of you are still young. Think about it!

:thumbup::)

Good idea Jerry, that would be fantastic. Those two both have a way with words in terms of teaching technique, tricks and what not...

Good one Reg, gotta love those quick edits.

Cool vid mate. You're lucky with all that air to play with :) Have you ever had a limb hang up in the line mid way, and if so, how did you deal with it? Its happened to me once, but not as high up! Just over a roof...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool vid mate. You're lucky with all that air to play with :) Have you ever had a limb hang up in the line mid way, and if so, how did you deal with it? Its happened to me once, but not as high up! Just over a roof...

Usually just bounce it around by pulling then slacking the line. You get the odd stubborn one but most them work their way free eventually. A neat trick for shorter, even small trees and low hanging limbs is to run line right under limb you're cutting, so the limb rests and runs down the zip line as opposed to hanging underneath solely from the sling. Keeps it elavated if the situation suits. Thing you most have to watch with that is if the sling gets trapped and burnt between the moving limb and the zip line. Goes without saying also, dont take huge pieces either. Thanks again.

You could also drop a sliding tag line onto the zip line for a groundie to pull if it really got stuck.

Back