whats wrong with this oak?

Porkbrick

TreeHouser
this is a big coast live oak on a clients property. im posting this mostly cause my boss is adamant about the cause of its decline and i disagree. wondering what you all think. i know its hard to say from pictures. there is an extensive lawn starting about 15 feet to the left in the pics and i know for a fact there is armillaria in the immediate area (there were armillaria mushrooms all over the place last week). any guesses as to whats going on? id also be curious to hear what your opinions are as to the future of the tree (removal? severe reduction? soil treatments?). unfortunately i dont have a picture of the crown. San Mateo-20111212-00188.jpg San Mateo-20111212-00183.jpg San Mateo-20111212-00184.jpg San Mateo-20111212-00181.jpg San Mateo-20111212-00180.jpg San Mateo-20111212-00185.jpg

I always look to see if the rot/dead is in the center of the trunk or if the main buttress roots are compromised. In your pictures it appears the buttress roots are shot.

The good news is that it's in the middle of the yard away from valuable targets. Enjoy the tree until it falls over.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
that is what the client wants to do and im inclined to agree.maybe a little endweighting on some of the bigger heads but thats it. my boss has been angling for removal. ive got a feeling he wont get his way:/:.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yes, California live oak. thats what i was leaning towards, or landscaping damage, but i dont know the history of the landscape.

Big irrigated lawn, Armallaria mushrooms, I'd lean towards root rot from the armillaria.
They say it can live for 20 years 20 feet down in the ground on a piece of wood.
It could flip, ball and socket style at some point.
Treatment, some say is to expose and dry out the roots and try and save the green roots if any.

It doesn't look like SOD to me or the after affects.
I don't see much hypoxylon either, that's usually pretty hand in hand with SOD, too.

You're boss should think, trim it now then come back and either wreck it or clean it up later.

Just my thought.

Back