What Was Your Worst Accident?

T Collins, how is your knee now after what sounds like was a very severe injury?

I was raised a logging. I used to work rough stock on the ranch. I wrestled and boxed way too many rounds. When I lived in Italy I got hit by a car, he t-boned me while I was on my bike. Punted me and didn't stop till after he ran over me. Drunk German, not that that matters. It damn near severed my right arm around the elbow, broke ribs, pelvis, c-5 vertebrae. I probably would have bled out had I not used a stick to make a Spanish windlass out of my shirt for compression to stem the bleeding. Vietnam recon vet dad taught me that. I spent 90 days in traction with halos, cages and what not. 6 reconstruction surgeries some lasting 6-8 hours later I walked out of the hospital and into the gym. 10 months later I fought my 3rd to last fight and lost by a split decision. I lack full extension in the right elbow, but only I notice.
I also had testicular torsion from a fight when I was 15 and got kicked in the groin, I knocked 3 of his teeth out after that.
Soooo the knee was an easy heal up relatively. When doctors see my x-rays they don't understand why I'm still so mobile, flexible and active. I can still do a 1handed chin up at over 200lbs. I guess I'm just too ornery to give in to the arthritis. I'm not a big guy, but listen to Kris Kristofferson's "The Winner" that's about the most fight a guy can get outta me these days.
I have cheated death sooo many times. It just wasn't my time a bunch of times I guess. I know that it sounds like tall tales and whoppers but I don't have the patience to tell well crafted lies.

I was raised a logging. I used to work rough stock on the ranch. I wrestled and boxed way too many rounds. When I lived in Italy I got hit by a car, he t-boned me while I was on my bike. Punted me and didn't stop till after he ran over me. Drunk German, not that that matters. It damn near severed my right arm around the elbow, broke ribs, pelvis, c-5 vertebrae. I probably would have bled out had I not used a stick to make a Spanish windlass out of my shirt for compression to stem the bleeding. Vietnam recon vet dad taught me that. I spent 90 days in traction with halos, cages and what not. 6 reconstruction surgeries some lasting 6-8 hours later I walked out of the hospital and into the gym. 10 months later I fought my 3rd to last fight and lost by a split decision. I lack full extension in the right elbow, but only I notice.
I also had testicular torsion from a fight when I was 15 and got kicked in the groin, I knocked 3 of his teeth out after that.
Soooo the knee was an easy heal up relatively. When doctors see my x-rays they don't understand why I'm still so mobile, flexible and active. I can still do a 1handed chin up at over 200lbs. I guess I'm just too ornery to give in to the arthritis. I'm not a big guy, but listen to Kris Kristofferson's "The Winner" that's about the most fight a guy can get outta me these days.
I have cheated death sooo many times. It just wasn't my time a bunch of times I guess. I know that it sounds like tall tales and whoppers but I don't have the patience to tell well crafted lies.

What kind of fighting did you do? Sorry if you have mentioned it before, I must have missed it.

I boxed, wrestled judo, freestyle and Greco-Roman; combat SAMBO to a lesser extent. I don't really like MMA though. I like to keep sport sport, it looks better and pays better too. I will use "mma" if I'm cornered which never happens anymore. Now my favorite is to not ruffle any feathers, but if worse comes to I think Mexican Judo works best.

thanks for the reply, T. It is pleasing to hear a body is still mobile, flexible, and active after all that trauma and chit.

That is a helluva story, for sure.

The only thing I'm having trouble swallowing is one handed pull ups at over 200 lbs. Yeah, nah. Respectfully! :dude: And if you actually do have that kind of strength (how old are you now?), it would go a long way to explaining the rest of your resilience. :drink:

What is Mexican judo? Back alley Brawling??

You’re up there with Ozzy Osbourne, wondering how the hell you’re still alive.

I spent 5 or 6 pain filled hours trapped under an ATV until some helpful fella stopped his freaking train and rolled the machine off me. Broken collar bone, really hurt. Pretty bad gouge in the helmet that gave me the willies when I looked at it. If I would’ve rolled a little more I would’ve ended up in the scrub brush and weeds. Might still be there, who knows.

First year in biz last year (and still somewhat noob) gave me the following "experiences":

- Fubarred the rigging setup on a large beech limb hanging over a pool. Kept it out of the pool, but managed to "customize" the gate on his custom fence. The local guy who installed gave me a reasonable price to repair/replace, but the bill ended up 2.5x that due to Covidiocy (no one close had it in stock, and place he found it screwed up 2x on what they gave him; 3 90 mile round trips to finally get it added to the bill).
- 70' up in an ash removal hanging over a deck. Had gotten the first 15 limbs or so out with no problem, but misjudged the last one. Was probably 50' long, and I hesitated on the pulley I'd brought up and used on half of the other ones to reduce the swing arc. Screwed the pooch and took out 2 sections of custom, redwood railing. Turned out to be a blessing in disguise because my carpenter friend who fixed it pointed to the HO that the deck was infested w/carpenter bees. HO split the bill w/me and appreiated the pest company referral.
- About 80' up in a very dead ash removal in a tight front yard; 4 huge stems to deal with. Was on the third which was over the house, and it was late and I was gassed. Got lazy and only tied a running bowline above a limb knot, no half-hitch below as is standard, figuring no worries on it holding. I made the cut, watched it go over and then watched in horror as it released from the rope and free fell, hitting the house. My cut was too close below the knot, and the knot ripped out of the limb and the rope knot cinched around it. Thankfully only a gutter section and one siding shingle damaged, but seriously embarrassing

As for injuries, there was my 30' "slide" down a skinny spar that knocked me unconscious last summer, thankfully nothing else wrong. About 3 yrs ago on the first big climbing takedown I did, had major kickback on a red oak knot that had me lose balance 60' up, and my left arm was nice enough to stop my chainsaw while flailing for balance. I did regain composure, yell down for the crew to call 911, then proceeded to finish the cut on the rigged piece so we would not leave shit hung up for however long I was out. Left a nice 3'" gash in my forearm.

Kind of fugly all around, but I've learned quite a bit from all of them on how "NOT" to do certain things.

I have carried in my mind the old timers advice given to me when I asked on my way up my first logging top out every day since having heard...

Me: "I know you told me to do everything that you taught me to do on the ground to perfection when I get up there, but is there anything else to it?"

Ray: "Yeah, ya jus' gotta know what not to do too."

Me: "oh yeah Ray, what's that? "

Ray: "Ya jus' gotta know to not do the stuff that'll git ya killed, junior."

I wish he had said injured too. Hahaha that ole man had a hell of a sense of humor. He'd laugh if you left your lunch pail open and his dog ate your sandwich.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Slid down a fig tree when I was six and a nasty branch stub that had been left caught my scrotum, saw blood dripping out of my shorts and ran to get to my folks. Couldn’t get a chainlink fence gate open so climbed over and got my bloody shorts caught at the top. They got a screaming me unstuck and off for stitches. Don’t leave little sharp stubs!
That just gave me some real bad shivers:\:

Five years ago. Up in the bucket with the Stihl HT131 cutting back some oak limbs. I was stretching way out to cut some limbs and trying to keep the stick saw from swinging into the house as I cut back a branch. Overextended my reach and tore the bicep tendon in my left arm. I heard the "pop" and felt extreme pain. Immediately came down and felt nauseous and overheated due to the trauma. Drove myself to the ER which was not easy with a 6-speed manual bucket ruck and only one usable arm. An MRI showed total separation of the bicep tendon. I opted to forego the recommended surgery and relied on my body to heal itself. I was back at work three days later, albeit in much pain and limited capacity. Within a few weeks, I had made a full recovery and the bicep tendon appears to have reattached itself, baffling the doctors. I consider it a miracle of God. YMMV.

I love it! You have a real miracle there 🙌🙏 The doctors put me back together like Frankenstein and call it a miracle when I fully recover and the villagers don't run me outta town with torches and pitchforks.

Worst injury was a couple broken ribs from a top not being allowed to run many years ago. Juiced a tree up when I laid a limb on a primary that same year. That was also the year I left tree work to make to much money in construction for any 19 year old to be reasonable with. Since I came back to trees I’ve been lucky. Nothing major. Aches and pains with a small amount of blood loss. Had my melon smacked pretty good about a month ago. Protos took the blow but still was a good hit. Small piece under a lot of tension. If we go beyond tree work I have been lucky as well. Minor injuries from what should’ve been really bad. Loads of bike accidents, atv accidents, falls from height, and my least favorite being under the ice.

Back