What can a contract climber make in Northern CA/Southern OR?

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
Hey guys, I have a buddy who's moving to Northern CA here shortly and he asked me to look into what he can potentially make/charge as a contract climber there. He's been in contact with a few companies already, but he doesn't know what he should be charging over there. A hi/low price range, etc. Good production climber and faller, certified arborist, degree in forestry.

I would be surprised at more than $250 a day. That's just judging by my area (central oregon) and what I have seen in the valley of Oregon. It seems that the average PNW company usually has a full time climber and maybe another, without much need for 'contract' climbers...

You'd not believe how terrible it can get down here... seriously! When humidity factors into the equation, whoa lawdy!

been humid the past few days here for some reason... Usually hot and dryyyy. Always shocks me when I go back and climb in hawaii's humidity. :whine:

California is huge with many large populated areas, many depressed timber economies, much farm land etc. Where is he going? Will he have insurance? California can be expensive to run a business in, if he does not have insurance and get his CA. contractors license he cannot be a legal contract climber. I have never worked anywhere that a legit contract climber can make it solely subbing out to others

Somehow I missed the Southern Oregon portion. There are a few around here working under the tables, the good outfits don't really need them. Occasionally we will "lend" a guy out to another legit company.

I don't see how it would be different than taking the summer off to work in a restaurant.

Getting a new business going takes some time, but people often underestimate the potential for success and what the states has to offer in terms of a receptive market. The place is riddled with opportunity. You just need the energy to go for it and be consistent and optimistic, then things will open up. The greatest limitation there is that which people place on themselves. America is a very rich country and lots of people have a practical sense of how they want to spend their money. Good work gets a very positive broad response, and that is a very fortunate and somewhat unique thing. if you haven't lived there and elsewhere and can compare, that is often not very clearly seen. In most other countries, what would be considered the large middle class, the people would be most hesitant to spend their hard earned money on tree work. You would have to be looking at the top of the pyramid for potential customers.

Just looking at how busy people in the Treehouse are, tells a lot about where are the most desirable places to have a business going.

depends on his skill set, i pay 240 all the way up to 500 a day, depending on what it is we are doing

adrian, i may actually be retiring from the industry and would love to let my ph number go to someone ..for a price....12yrs with a great reputation

Wow, better start a thread on the potential retirement, what up with that?

depends on his skill set, i pay 240 all the way up to 500 a day, depending on what it is we are doing

adrian, i may actually be retiring from the industry and would love to let my ph number go to someone ..for a price....12yrs with a great reputation

DO WHAT!?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C_S5cXbXe-4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Getting a new business going takes some time, but people often underestimate the potential for success and what the states has to offer in terms of a receptive market. The place is riddled with opportunity. You just need the energy to go for it and be consistent and optimistic, then things will open up. The greatest limitation there is that which people place on themselves. America is a very rich country and lots of people have a practical sense of how they want to spend their money. Good work gets a very positive broad response, and that is a very fortunate and somewhat unique thing. if you haven't lived there and elsewhere and can compare, that is often not very clearly seen. In most other countries, what would be considered the large middle class, the people would be most hesitant to spend their hard earned money on tree work. You would have to be looking at the top of the pyramid for potential customers.

Just looking at how busy people in the Treehouse are, tells a lot about where are the most desirable places to have a business going.

That is an excellent and insightful description of the America I loved.For the reasons you stated above Jay,I wish I had the opportunity to start a business in the States.

dave?? what gives you're not getting out man no way you'd just end up doing tree work anyway it's in your blood.

jp:D

Practically everyone in the business I have known quit sometime or another and then ended up going back. My self twice. Went to work for the phone company as a lineman for one year. And then went to work in a fabrication shop at a local boat yard, for a year.

Trees are easy. Once you get to know them they don't change.

Back