Web Design

• Thread starter Lou
  • Start date
  • Replies 43
  • Views 4K
Both the written address and the linked address both bring you here, although it would be nice if the written address said 'The Treehouse Forum' instead of just the web address.

The site looks real good. A number of the photos are fairly large files, larger than the recommended size for web use. Just wondering how the site loads for people with slower internet connections?

'macbook pro' doesn't have anything to do with internet connection speed. But we get it, you use a mac so therefore you are superior to all pc users. ;)

Jay was talking about oversize images and how long it would take the pages to load for someone with other than a high speed cable connection.

Right. Fast for me too, but not everyone is so well outfitted. It isn't just the connection speed, also the monitor resolution. Some of those photos might take up the entire width of someone's monitor, with little space left to read what is also there.

I'm not an expert by any means, but 800x600 or maybe better, 640x480 pixels, and up to a megabyte in size, is pretty standard. Clicking on smaller photo that then open up to larger, like at the house here, is one way. Too large files and the whole thing gets pretty heavy.

I try to keep my pics under a megabyte each, or at the least, thumbnail them so it doesnt eat up bandwidth without choice.

Yes, but lesser so all the time. I do know some folks with less than good vision who have their monitors set at a lower pixel resolution, I think that it is pretty common. Larger photo files can be very big and take up a lot of space at the expense of other things. I think it works something like that.

I look at it like this, if the website host says the pics are too big, then I downsize them ;) so far, it's all good

okay got the links fixed...I did it...not my Webmaster...lol Nick, you are good, and Butch, have gypoclimber in there now ;)

But now there's no masterblasterhome.co. That domain trumps gypoclimber. The tee shirts say masterblasterhome.

What I was doing was joking that both should have ben listed, that's all.

And you didn't even take a course. It's like tree work; any fool with a chainsaw can do it.

If you don't ask the web hosting service what photo size they recommend, they most likely won't be telling you, even if you have put in huge files. Most don't want to have to sort out people's sites like that.

Back