Wall of Shame: Wannabe Experts

Yah I would disagree that I would look like a dangerous dumb ass doing other types of 'stuff'. I find quite the opposite to be true, that I am overly cautious when doing things outside of my normal activities. Atleast until I'm satisfied I understand what the dangers and risks are. I don't just fumble forth blindly on a blind faith that I won't be seriously maimed or killed.

that's decision making/ critical thinking in action.

Contrast it to, "I want it to do this, so if I do what I am limited to doing, it should be okay, and do what I want it to do".

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4ddvt6LcujY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Might as well jump past the first minute, as nothing happens.

Seen that before, I can't help thinking a Yankee truck like that should have the grunt to pull that tree over if the foot was on the gas.
Poor hinge I guess.
Nightmare scenario

Stretch stores energy and isn't necessarily bad. They maxed out their pull. I think a stretching line allow the truck to max pull more than a static line, and it keeps pulling more force, longer as the tree falls to forward the pull.

A cable will go slack much faster.

Watching again, they were rigging it out to small of a gin pole.

Should have anchored on the heavy front end of the truck, not the light rear, which comes light when pulling. A better view, too.

It looked to me like the truck didn't even really try to pull until the tree was already lost. It also looked like it was the stretchy rope that lost it for them(atleast Of factors that can be seen). The truck just sat there and the rope stretched back enough to lose the tree is what I saw.

I thought I heard the truck tired spin. Then they cut it up some more.

I figured they cut up the hinge too far, to the point of failure, rather than more wedging and/or getting additional pulling power, double-teaming with another vehicle, out seeing another rope and pulling.

Looks to me like they tensioned the line, then cut. When the tree started moving the driver did try to save it, but it must be 2wd or they forgot to engage 4wd cuz the back tires just spun as the tree went. How it looked to me anyway, watching it again and trying to look for specific clues.

Proper deployment of a truck mounted winch instead of pulling with the vehicle would have solved all those dumb azz issues. Plus not cutting off the hinge...that didn't help much either :).

People running the saw sometimes get impatient...I've seen that human error push a tenable situation into failure many a time.

As far as truck mounted winches go, what load rating is usually sufficient for tree pulling? I think I remember seeing that 9000lb was sufficient? Is it enough, is that overkill? All I have for pulling is a masdaam, a conventional come-a-long or my f250. I like the truck mounted winch option, but how big does it need to be?

I had this winch on my Land Rover, driven hydraulically by the gearbox. Very powerful indeed. With a pulley and anchor I pulled over some scary stuff. What you don't get is speed, and that can be the difference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 90
The tree cutting part is amateur at best, but it's the commentary that cracks me up.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aqx5I4tnGdM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Linky no worky...I was able to drill thru it to get the embed. BUT...it is "unlisted"...see if this works.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aqx5I4tnGdM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As far as truck mounted winches go, what load rating is usually sufficient for tree pulling? I think I remember seeing that 9000lb was sufficient? Is it enough, is that overkill? All I have for pulling is a masdaam, a conventional come-a-long or my f250. I like the truck mounted winch option, but how big does it need to be?

For many years I had no problems with the venerable Warn 8k. It had the benefit of not being too likely to pull the truck it was mounted to instead of the object I was trying to move :). I sometimes needed to add blocks, often several in tandem, to get enough ma to giterdone, but those are skills well worth learning.

In my later work years I had the pleasure of having a Warn 12k unit on the truck. That increased capability sometimes required developing skills at anchoring the truck to keep it in place, but sure allowed for bigger pulls.

And then with that power at hand, when I got up into the 4:1 or 5:1 ma with all my blocks in play, the truck chained down from the tow hitch to some immovable object...I occasionally wondered how hard it might actually be to pull a pickup frame in two :D.

Never did, though.

So, one answer is...strongest winch you can afford is best. That keeps the intake speed at optimum, since you can often avoid the gear down of employing blocks to increase ma. But the real answer is, you can do a effing lot of good with 8k pull power.

And don't stint on the rigging gear...lots of it, and first class stuff. Weakest link and all that, ya know. A winch can maim or kill an unaware operator quick as a blink.

Back